Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

Samba folks,

In searching for topics about on-board air compressor installations I only come up with a few threads where the compressors are mentioned as an aside and not part of the main topic.

I hope this thread will serve as the home for folks to post their on-board compressed air setups.

Many folks will eschew the idea of permanently mounting an air compressor in their van, and with good reason: it is often useful to use the compressor far from the van, or loan the compressor to someone else. Those are great reasons to have a portable compressor, but this thread is for folks who want that convenience as an accessory permanently mounted in the van.

If you offroad with low tire inflation and frequently need to inflate, or if you use inflatable products (kayaks, mattresses, bicycles, motorcycles, etc.) an on-board air compressor might be right for you. Compressed air can also help with routine maintenance, including inflating your van's tires, other tires for cars/motorcycles/bikes, and even for helping remove air from your van's coolant system, power steering lines, or brake lines.

GoWesty sells a compete on-board air compressor bundle:

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23617&category_id=&category_parent_id=

"Complete" is a matter of opinion--the bundle lacks the hose needed to join the compressor manifold with the hookup box, so some knowledge on the part of the installer is required.

Also, I didn't like the air compressor switch provided with the package:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...and I wanted control of the air compressor from the outside of the van where the hose connects at the hookup. The hookup box has enough open space to allow for a little switch running to a relay, so this was the perfect opportunity to build a custom setup.

Here's a list of extra parts I needed to finish the job:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-991602ERL
Fitting, Coupler, 90 Degree, Female 1/4 in. NPT to Female 1/4 in. NPT, Aluminum, quantity needed: 1

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-240100N
Fitting, Hose End, Swivel, Straight, -6 AN Hose to Male 1/4 in. NPT, Aluminum, Nickel, quantity needed: 2

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-230603
Hose, Braided Stainless Steel, -6 AN, 3 ft. Length, quantity needed: 1

http://www.radioshack.com/spst-20a-12vdc-illuminated-toggle-switch-with-blue-led/2750023.html
SPST 12V DC ILLUMINATED SWITCH, Model #: 275-023, quantity needed: 1

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7222/A-Series_White_Toggle_Circuit_Breaker_-_Single_Pole_30A
A-Series White Toggle Circuit Breaker - Single Pole 30A, quantity needed: 1

https://www.bluesea.com/products/8063-0025/AIR_COMPRESSOR
Blue Sea Air Compressor Label

This setup assumed you know how to build AN hoses (not difficult; look on YouTube). Why AN hose? Because I had tools and experience building AN hose, the fittings are relatively inexpensive and of high quality, the fittings are rebuildable, and the hose is abrasion resistant and tolerant of high pressure and high temperature.

You need to have a good power source for your compressor. My Blue Sea 12v distribution panel had one open bank, and the compressor, with its 20A load, was a good fit. The panel is served by a house battery system wired with 4ga cables (properly fused at the battery) and supported by a combined solar charge controller/battery charger/inverter.

I mounted the compressor in the galley cabinet, just forward of the refrigerator. This provided an indoor location where I had good access to the area needed for the backing plate installation, and ensured low moisture, low dirt, good ventilation (the entire back side of the galley is ventilated through the grating behind the lid) and good noise suppression of the compressor (and this compressor is already very quiet). This is also relatively dead space in the van, so it didn't hurt to add the compressor here, as opposed to under the bench seat, where I am constantly storing items and constantly going in/out of that space. Lastly, this is a relatively solid (1/2" thick) cabinet wall in the van. Since my 12v distribution panel is already in this area, the wiring runs are kept short and easy. The AN hose, terminating in 1/4" NPT male fittings on both ends, connects to the compressor manifold on one end and the 90 degree F-F 1/4" NPT elbow at the hookup box behind the refrigerator. All NPT fittings were wrapped in yellow gas tape, but pipe dope would also work as well, if not better.

The main power leads in the compressor wiring harness connect to the back of this distribution panel, with a labeled 30A switch provided. The ARB wiring harness includes an inline 40A MaxiFuse which I left in place in between this panel and the compressor. The manner in which MaxiFuses break under load is important for the kind of protection I want in the circuit; it's good insurance. You can also see the remote control panel for the inverter/charger/charge controller... I can toggle it on/off with my left hand while we are driving, giving me control over the AC power outlet in the back ("don't charge your laptop right now.").

I never used the City Water hookup because I seldom camp in RV parks and never liked the idea of pressurized water connections and I use my on-board water tank (with UV filter and 10" filter element) extensively. It made sense for me to just remove the City Water hookup and replace it with a compressed air hookup. You can see the toggle switch next to the hose hookup; the switch is wired to the relay in the ARB wiring harness.

Using the system is easy: turn on the master switch in the van, gather the air hose and tools, step outside, connect the hose and desired tools, and turn on the toggle switch to charge the compressor. If your tools are open ended (for inflating mattresses, etc) this outside toggle switch is especially useful.

In a nutshell, the installation steps:

1. acquire all materials and tools
2. pull out the refrigerator and remove the city water hookup
3. assemble compressor and install in cabinet
4. assemble air hookup box, including toggle switch
5. assemble AN hose and install with elbow on air hookup box
6. install air hookup box and AN hose on compressor, routing the hose carefully and with consideration of refrigerator, water, and electrical routes
7. fit wiring harness starting with compressor pressure switch and power leads, and mount relay on wall behind refrigerator
8. wire the toggle switch to the relay
9. wire the power leads to your power source
10. test and enjoy!

I hope this post is helpful, and I hope other compressor users will post their setups.

kourt

Last edited by kourt on Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! Applause

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best install ive seen, nice job!

I use a small portable Warn that tucks away and includes a 25 foot coiled hose. Easier than moving the van from a "set up to camp" spot if someone needs air.

On my rock crawler I have 2 dedicated and mounted compressors. A Warn 12,000 lb winch with compressor up front and an ARB just like yours that fills and maintains a remote tank to support the ARB front locker. Fitting on tank allow transfer of air in case one compressor fails and I can still use the locker and air up to come home.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice setup. I use a portable MV50 - two of them actually. Portable helps when having an issue with a distant trailer tire, or weird situations such as a slow leak in the Subaru tire due to a screw. I will be changing to the winter tires in a few weeks and don't want to mess with it, so I tossed one of the MVs in the car in case the leak speeds up.

I love the placement of the illuminated switch and air line outlet on the body of the car. Starts to make the car in to a "Swiss army knife" that can help you. I've always loved functional improvements and that is a good one. The switch illumination can even help you avoid fumbling to make the connection in the dark - bravo.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for noticing the function of the details--those things really matter to me. I try and build the function for my wife--if it's too complex for her to bother, I know I probably shouldn't do it. My Vanagon is a great playground for those little details, and I love reading The Samba and finding ideas for other such projects.

I still have a little portable compressor in my van closet, deeply packed in a recovery bag with jumper cables, tow strap, and other things. I think I'll just keep it in there just in case.

I bought an inflatable kayak last week and keep inflatable beach floats in the van. The whole kayak, with paddle and PFD, fits neatly in the luggage rack above the front cab! No more roof racks, no more increased wind load.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Thank you for noticing the function of the details--those things really matter to me. I try and build the function for my wife--if it's too complex for her to bother, I know I probably shouldn't do it. My Vanagon is a great playground for those little details, and I love reading The Samba and finding ideas for other such projects.

I still have a little portable compressor in my van closet, deeply packed in a recovery bag with jumper cables, tow strap, and other things. I think I'll just keep it in there just in case.

I bought an inflatable kayak last week and keep inflatable beach floats in the van. The whole kayak, with paddle and PFD, fits neatly in the luggage rack above the front cab! No more roof racks, no more increased wind load.

kourt

You are a man of my own heart. (esp in regards to keeping installs simple enough for the wife to use install principal.)

This is exactly one of the things I want to do to my future rig... (Which may be closer than I've thought... I've found an 85' that needs a new tent, and has minimal rust for 8k... The rocker panel seam rust on the driver's side worries me a little though, as I know shit all about rust repair and I know it's expensive as all hell.) I dig the location, I was considering using that space for my aux batt setup and keeping it contained to that cabinet... So it'll be interesting to see what I can fit in there WITH a compressor.

How difficult was it to get the side panel hookup installed, and subsequently install the switch into it as well? It's really beautiful! Well done man!

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.

Last edited by DwarfVader on Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy,

The hookup box connections were made on the bench, not with the box connected to the van, so the assembly was straightforward. Drill the 1/2" switch hole, install switch, install air hookup, install elbow, and install AN hose.

Snake the hose through the sheet metal wall of the van from the outside and install the hookup with four screws. Route the hose to your liking inside the van and connect it to the compressor.

kourt
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats cool. I did a similar install with same ARB compressor on my pickup, and used a 3 gallon tank ( 7" diameter x 20" long ). Some outfit on eBay ($29, Nov2015) seems to have a lot of these 3 gal tanks.

You can make an air tank out of thin-wall pipe that would be easy to stow on a Vanagon. 1 gallon is 231 cubic inches. Using 4" pipe, for example, every 18 inches is one gallon. Or buy a tube-bumper. If you add a tank be sure to add a pressure relief valve, here's one at 150psi .

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of those tanks on eBay... that gives me some ideas for a possible tank. I hope someone else has an idea like that. Great discussion--let's keep it going.

Thanks to all for your input on this thread!

kourt
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the various air ride vendors for tanks and compressors, pretty compact since they are usually going into Golf sized cars.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clean job as usual!

I like a set up I've seen before, behind the glove box. But now I will have A/C up there, like you do on this van I believe Wink

I have the ARB compressor from Das MUle bought last year on sale.

I just bought the Go Westy air hook-up, but I find it annoying that they don't sell the just fitting and mounting plate separately: most people buy a compressor and it comes as a kit with a hose. I didn't want to pay and end up with a second hose and fittings I do not need. Lame to not have the option.

I carefully looked at their pictures and found out plates where also sold for other cars but with slightly different edges.

SO here's what I ended up doing for the air hook up, compressor will be mounted way later on this on going project:

Cheap aluminum air fitting from Home Depot, I cut a notch with a hacksaw around 360° and then opened the notch on 180° for the second overlapping plate

Cut some plates out of aluminum Quick Mount flashings with a hole saw, then cut the notches with a bandsaw and opened them with a stone wheel on the bench grinder (perfect thickness of the wheel). The fit is tight on the fitting:perfect!

Marking the housing holes with a sheet of paper to drill the plates

Voilà

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
PDXSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation th Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm finally getting around to installing my compressor kit from GW into my Syncro Westy. Most everything is straight forward once going through the kit installation guide and this post from Kourt. However a few questions:
1) On the remote switch to compressor relay. Were you simply using the wires that were originally connected the compressor switch provided in the kit harness? Or did you wire up something different.
2) The location I'm going with is in the cabinets between the kitchenette and the closet. I'm going to mount this in right side cabinet below the pullout trap. In there I have my propex heater and so this will be sitting just above that and I'll route my hose to the back wall via the cutout in that area. Do you see any issues with mounting this above the propex? I am going with the SS hose which is rated to 300deg and I'll be routing the hose above the compressor and out the back of the cut out and it should not come in contact with the propex. I think that should be ample. The propex doesn't heat up that much in that cabinet space.
3) I'm wiring this directly to my aux battery under the bench and not to my fuse panel. My fuse panel is under the sink area and both aux batteries (under driver seat and under bench are connected and I toggle them both with a switch. I opted for this primarily for the convenience of the cable harness routing and the fact that I wasn't bothered by tethering this to that one battery. I use the one under the drivers seat as my main and only toggle to the under the seat one when the other is too low. I also do not have any other fuse that the 40a inline fuse. Do you see any issues/inconveniences arising from this wiring setup?

Thanks for any thoughts and for this very useful post!

Cheers,
Glen
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation th Reply with quote

Bump.

I can't answer your questions PDX but I do have more to add/ask on this topic...

Here's where I put my compressor. It takes up no space that we would be using otherwise and I can still access the filter (probably need to every 15 years). It was a major hassle to install it here and I even paid to have a bracket welded up.

I followed the ARB instructions to a "T" and I'm thinking I want to change that. If I recall correctly, the supplied "Compressor" switch triggers the compressor - not the relay. The other wires, that ARB says to connect to switched power (and the relay), I have going to my blue alternator wire under the driver's seat.

That works great but I need to have the engine running if I want to use the compressor. That's exactly what I want if I'm inflating a car tire BUT annoying if I just want to top off a mountain bike tire.

So, I'm considering another place for the "switched power" switch, Having a little switch under the air connection flap looks like a great idea. But where to "T" into power there?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation th Reply with quote

Howdy SCM,

Do you have a house power system? If I understand you correctly, you want to power the compressor with a system that can function without the engine being on.

PDXSyncro:

I mostly used the wires that came with the ARB compressor but I did make some changes where it was necessary for my wiring runs.

Your other issues look fine. Do make sure to keep the ARB inline fuse in place.

kourt
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation th Reply with quote

Update on my air compressor install:

It has been great! I love checking my tire pressure now, and I use the van's compressor for all the other cars and my motorcycles and bicycles. I've also used the compressed air to clean out some nooks in the van.

Tire inflator/deflator solution:

Once you get into the business of occasionally deflating your tires for traction assistance, it becomes apparent that easy solutions for regulating your deflation are needed. I searched high and low for a single device that would do it all, and found a very high quality inflator/deflator/gauge combo:

Astro 3081 Dial Tire Inflator

This very sturdy, well built tool does the following:

1. it connects (with the addition of a 1/4" air quick connect) to the ARB compressor hose to work as an inflator;

2. it can connect to your tire without any inflator hose and provide regulated deflation and pressure reading, so you can squeeze the trigger on the back of the tool and let out what air you need, and then close the trigger and instantly verify your tire pressure (which is a much more precise and elegant way to deflate your tires than using something like GoWesty's Automatic Tire Deflator Kit)

3. it can simply be an air pressure gauge

The Astro 3081 is very well built and it has the best clip-on schrader valve connector I've seen in that design type. Don't buy the ARB Inflator with Gauge... it is not very well built. Get the Astro 3081.

Pressurized water solution via compressed air:

In a nutshell, I have the following:

1. LCI NATO Military Water Can (5 gallons)
2. Ball Valve Pressure Kit for LCI water cans
3. a short hose and water spray gun

With this setup I can charge the water can with compressed air and wash dishes, take showers in the field, wash the van/dog/etc. Put boiling water in the can (or leave it in the sun) and you have hot water.

My summer spent in USFS dispersed camps made me realize that I might occasionally want to take a shower in the field--this makes that easy through the use of a water can I would already have in the RMW tailgate shelf.

Enjoy your air compressors and share your compressor stories here!

kourt
PDXSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation th Reply with quote

Hi All,
Thanks for the responses Kourt!

I finished up my install yesterday and here are a few pics of my location and details on the wiring. It was quite a bit more simple that I originally thought as the wiring harness has so much extra wiring bits for the other switches that if you're using this simply for the single compressor port it's really quite a basic install.

Again I chose to place this right above my propex heater located in the right side "top opening" cabinets where the rear table pole resides as this was my dead space:

I bolted the compressor through the dual wall into cabinet where the refrig used to be, now just a cabinet. You can see the backing here. I had to get longer bolts to get through the wall thickness. I would have preferred having flat bolts on this side to avoid rubbing, hitting anything but I couldn't manage to bolt that direction due to the limited space where the compressor is located. Not enough to get hands and tools in there while holding the compressor up:

The wiring loom and hose easily goes through the hole in the back panel of this space. For the wiring as I mentioned I ran the 3 wires that connect to the battery:

back through under the bench to an aux battery that I have back there. The other part of the wiring that goes from the harness to the compressor switch I routed through the back panel and up to the port the with the hose. There's already a hole back that's quite large. For the wiring I used the red, red-yel and blk wires that were connected to the isolation switch to connect to the 3 prongs on the illuminated switch:

The red-yel wire (that's supposed to go to the ignition wire) I then ran to the cabinet under the sink where I have a fuse panel that connects all aux powered components to a switch that switches my 2 aux batteries. This way I can run the compressor from the outside switch and if for any reason I don't want the compressor to be turned on I can simply pull the fuse on this red-yel wire.

Here's a few pics of the front and back of the hookup box:

Here you can see how I just wrapped the unused bits of wire from the harness and zip tied them to the wall:

Front of hookup box:

Cabinets all sealed back up:

I'll report back on any fun use cases that I run into. The big ones that I foresee are these tires and other car tires Wink as well as bike tires and lastly camping mattresses for tent camping. The 12v camping mattress inflator motors are loud, weak and never get the mattresses inflated well. I'm looking forward to using this new little tool in my adventures.

Great thread, thanks again Kourt!
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation th Reply with quote

Nice! I love that you used the little blue switch!

kourt
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

Looking to install my Viair 325c compressor and this thread is a great resource. I got it off craigslist with a 2.5 gal tank as well. I have seen someone post about mounting a similar system in the clamshell, but can't find that thread now. I find interior space very valuable in the van, so hesitate to use it for the compressor, though the space next to the fridge or behind driver seat battery compartment are candidates. I would like to put the tank in the clamshell, giving up the crumple protection of the spare, since my spare is on the rear anyway. Could also possible put it along the frame rails where a propane tank might go on driver side? The big question is where to put the compressor? I understand that they are splash proof and sort of hearty, but I do cross the occasional deeper stream and it is not submergible.
My current idea is to put the tank in the clamshell, hard mounted. Have two smaller ammo boxes for the compressor and hoses. I will rarely need to air up, so dropping the clamshell won't be a big deal. The ammo boxes could be hard mounted to the clamshell, with some sort of sealant around the bolt holes. Alternatively, I could just strap them down securely, since there are handles on the outside. Hen when I need the compressor to run, I open the clamshell detach the ammobox, connect the compressor to some sort of pigtail that is secured under there (!) and go for it. Just writing it down, it sounds like a pain, however!
Anybody done this kind of thing?
-macjack
Bike as primary transportation
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

So here are a few photos of my clamshell ideas. The tank and boxes all fit without interference. I found some dust caps for the air quick connects on the tank, so that the tank can have the hose from the compressor disconnected except when using.

now for the mounting methods. . .
-msj
Bike as primary transportation
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

macjack wrote:
So here are a few photos of my clamshell ideas. The tank and boxes all fit without interference. I found some dust caps for the air quick connects on the tank, so that the tank can have the hose from the compressor disconnected except when using.

now for the mounting methods. . .
-msj

What size ammo cans are those?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: