Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation th Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Howdy SCM,

Do you have a house power system? If I understand you correctly, you want to power the compressor with a system that can function without the engine being on.

Exactly. I do have a house power system.

It sounds like you guys are using the "isolation switch" wiring to connect to your outside, illuminated switch. What I would like to do is take the red-yel wire that's shown going to the ignition switch in the wiring diagram, and instead run that to an on/off switch then to my house battery.

Is there any reason that wouldn't work?
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

DeadSetMonkey wrote:
What size ammo cans are those?

.50 and 556 I suspect...

Not 100% positive though.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.

Last edited by DwarfVader on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation th Reply with quote

SCM wrote:

It sounds like you guys are using the "isolation switch" wiring to connect to your outside, illuminated switch. What I would like to do is take the red-yel wire that's shown going to the ignition switch in the wiring diagram, and instead run that to an on/off switch then to my house battery.

Is there any reason that wouldn't work?

I think that's what I did--trying to use as much of the existing wiring as possible. Give it a shot!

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
almo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation th Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Bump.

I can't answer your questions PDX but I do have more to add/ask on this topic...

Here's where I put my compressor. It takes up no space that we would be using otherwise and I can still access the filter (probably need to every 15 years). It was a major hassle to install it here and I even paid to have a bracket welded up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I followed the ARB instructions to a "T" and I'm thinking I want to change that. If I recall correctly, the supplied "Compressor" switch triggers the compressor - not the relay. The other wires, that ARB says to connect to switched power (and the relay), I have going to my blue alternator wire under the driver's seat.

That works great but I need to have the engine running if I want to use the compressor. That's exactly what I want if I'm inflating a car tire BUT annoying if I just want to top off a mountain bike tire.

So, I'm considering another place for the "switched power" switch, Having a little switch under the air connection flap looks like a great idea. But where to "T" into power there?

How is this location working for u? How are the noise levels? Also is there enough airflow in there. I am thinking of mounting mine in here as well.

1986 2.1L Westy 2wd 4-spd Sold!!!!
1987 2.1L Westy syncro
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5Gt Wagon 5sp MT
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation th Reply with quote

almo wrote:

How is this location working for u? How are the noise levels? Also is there enough airflow in there. I am thinking of mounting mine in here as well.

The noise is very little. You hear it, but it's muffled and far less noisy than the engine. I think it's kind of a mute point though, no one is running their compressor while trying sleep are they?

As for air flow, until a few days ago I would have said that's another non-issue. The cabinets are far from air tight, and it draws air from them as well as the space between the body panels. I've run it for about 10 minutes at a time while inflating my van's tires from 40 to 50 PSI and my neighbor's 4Runner tire from totally flat to 40 psi without any problems. BUT, the night before T-giving I was airing up the winter tires on my wife's car and I just couldn't get the last one up from 30 to 35 psi. Not sure if the problem was with the compressor or my air nozzle.
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation th Reply with quote

PDXSyncro wrote:

The wiring loom and hose easily goes through the hole in the back panel of this space. For the wiring as I mentioned I ran the 3 wires that connect to the battery:

back through under the bench to an aux battery that I have back there. The other part of the wiring that goes from the harness to the compressor switch I routed through the back panel and up to the port the with the hose. There's already a hole back that's quite large. For the wiring I used the red, red-yel and blk wires that were connected to the isolation switch to connect to the 3 prongs on the illuminated switch:

The red-yel wire (that's supposed to go to the ignition wire) I then ran to the cabinet under the sink where I have a fuse panel that connects all aux powered components to a switch that switches my 2 aux batteries. This way I can run the compressor from the outside switch and if for any reason I don't want the compressor to be turned on I can simply pull the fuse on this red-yel wire.

Here's a few pics of the front and back of the hookup box:

Here you can see how I just wrapped the unused bits of wire from the harness and zip tied them to the wall:

Front of hookup box:

I'll report back on any fun use cases that I run into. The big ones that I foresee are these tires and other car tires Wink as well as bike tires and lastly camping mattresses for tent camping. The 12v camping mattress inflator motors are loud, weak and never get the mattresses inflated well. I'm looking forward to using this new little tool in my adventures.

Great thread, thanks again Kourt!

Are you sure that this hookup is correct? i tried the same setup and (red/yellow to +12Volt) but when the blue switch is in "off" position that the cable gets really hot. This only works if the blue switch is on and lighted. Any other you cable you hocked up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

Bumping this one as I'm having the same issue as the last poster here. Ready to wrap this project up but struggling to figure out the wiring harness and how to adapt to the same lighted blue switch.

I ran the red/yel to 12v and it was h o t...
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

For those using the gowesty hookup box for this....

How the heck do you disconnect the air hose when youre done using it?? I have to stick a screwdriver or a knife in there to push the quick release. Theres no way my fat fingers are reaching that deep. Am I missing something??
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

benandmj wrote:
For those using the gowesty hookup box for this....

How the heck do you disconnect the air hose when youre done using it?? I have to stick a screwdriver or a knife in there to push the quick release. Theres no way my fat fingers are reaching that deep. Am I missing something??

I had the same problem but got lucky to talk to Lucas from Gowesty at the last Syncrofest. The connector is a push pull design and needs to be very loose installed. I had mine behind the fridge and when pushed it it was not moving and disconnect did not work well. If the outside hose is connected make sure you still can move the hose connector. When finish, you only pull on the hose and it will release (if installed correct)
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

That's right--you must have some play in the connector at the installation point. It is push in, pull out. It's designed to not require depressing the receiver for disconnection.

kourt
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

Thanks y’all. So basically this whole time I’ve been screwing with this thing to disconnect the air hose all I needed to do was just pull it. Thanks for helping me figure it out!!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

https://scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/9291d7...0288_n.mp4
letsrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation th Reply with quote

[quote="mreuter"]
PDXSyncro wrote:

The red-yel wire (that's supposed to go to the ignition wire) I then ran to the cabinet under the sink where I have a fuse panel that connects all aux powered components to a switch that switches my 2 aux batteries. This way I can run the compressor from the outside switch and if for any reason I don't want the compressor to be turned on I can simply pull the fuse on this red-yel wire.

Are you sure that this hookup is correct? i tried the same setup and (red/yellow to +12Volt) but when the blue switch is in "off" position that the cable gets really hot. This only works if the blue switch is on and lighted. Any other you cable you hocked up?

I just did a dry run of my install that will be similar to this. I connected the red/yellow wire to the positive terminal and promptly burned through the diode inline with that wire. Anyone have really clear instructions on what to do with the red/yellow signal wire? Must i contact ARB for another diode if not connecting to the ignition? I would like the compressor to turn on whenever i want via two switches like the original poster. A master switch and another switch accessible from hookup box. It will be connected to my auxiliary battery.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

I'll try to find some time to pull my fridge this weekend and document the wiring. It seems that is a consistent problem coming up in this thread. Stay tuned.

kourt
letsrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
I'll try to find some time to pull my fridge this weekend and document the wiring. It seems that is a consistent problem coming up in this thread. Stay tuned.

kourt

That would be awesome, Kourt!

Anyone know what kind of diode i would be looking for to replace the one that went up in smoke? I checked ARB documentation and it wasn't listed (from what i saw) and messages to ARB have gone unanswered.
letsrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

letsrig wrote:
Anyone know what kind of diode i would be looking for to replace the one that went up in smoke? I checked ARB documentation and it wasn't listed (from what i saw) and messages to ARB have gone unanswered.

I talked to ARB USA "tech department" and they did not have any documentation on what the diode was. Which i find very funny. They could only give me a parts replacement number for that entire section of the harness (180415).

Anyway, since i am not connecting to my ignition circuit and instead directly to my Auxiliary battery, i will go without the diode. However, i will include a fuse.

As far as the rest of the installation goes - Interested to see exactly how Kourt wired his or if any others can share. mreuter had the same problem as i am having with wires getting hot. With all this Covid 19 craziness, its a good time to disappear into the garage.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

Just an update: my weekend filled up, so taking the galley apart to view the wiring is not in the cards, but I found a few references to "ARB compressor wiring" in google searches that show there is a palpable demand for a simplified wiring of this compressor.

I'm pretty sure I followed this guide on one of the Tacoma forums:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/arb-ckma12-simple-wiring.496055/

Have a look at that--I hope it helps. My install is just a compressor direct wired to the DC mains by way of the relay, with no solenoids.

kourt
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation th Reply with quote

mreuter wrote:
PDXSyncro wrote:

The wiring loom and hose easily goes through the hole in the back panel of this space. For the wiring as I mentioned I ran the 3 wires that connect to the battery:

back through under the bench to an aux battery that I have back there. The other part of the wiring that goes from the harness to the compressor switch I routed through the back panel and up to the port the with the hose. There's already a hole back that's quite large. For the wiring I used the red, red-yel and blk wires that were connected to the isolation switch to connect to the 3 prongs on the illuminated switch:

Here's a few pics of the front and back of the hookup box:

Here you can see how I just wrapped the unused bits of wire from the harness and zip tied them to the wall:

Front of hookup box:

I'll report back on any fun use cases that I run into. The big ones that I foresee are these tires and other car tires Wink as well as bike tires and lastly camping mattresses for tent camping. The 12v camping mattress inflator motors are loud, weak and never get the mattresses inflated well. I'm looking forward to using this new little tool in my adventures.

Great thread, thanks again Kourt!

I am ready to wrap this same project up as well, as I have everything mounted, and finishing up the wiring just now.

I noticed in the photo above on the isolation switch mounted in the hookup from top to bottom it looks like RED, RED/YEL, BLK.

Shouldn't it be top to bottom RED/YEL, RED, BLK, as the RED/YEL is your 12v source for the toggle switch (connecting pins 2&3 on schematic) , and connects the 12v to the "closed" pressure switch on the compressor, then to #86 (BLU) pin on the relay, then to #85 (BLK) pin (ground), in turn closing the switch in the relay (#30 RED & # 87 RED/WHT) and then turning the pump motor on?

Also,
In Kourt's TacomaWorld link above, this is how it is wired as well, with 12v (RED/YEL) wire going to the #2 contact on the schematic and the #3 contact going to the pressure switch.

Some photos for reference:
(keep in mind the #'s on the 3 prong switch do not correlate with the #'s on 5 prong switch)

-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 ¼ million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

Finished the project last night. Compressor is running perfect, no hot wires or blown diodes (top to bottom on isolation switch= RED/YEL, RED, BLK{or other way around bottom to top if your isolation switch is flipped 180*}).

I deleted the fuse and opted for a marine grade Bussmann 40a CB that I can also use as a master switch that renders the isolation switch in the outside box useless if I have the CB "open", and it still provides the circuit protection when "closed".

I also connected the RED/YEL wire for the isolation switch to the #30 pin (RED) on the relay (just put the wires in the female slot and inserted the relay ontop) this way there is only power going to the isolation switch when the CB is "closed".

Thanks to Kourt for the idea of putting the isolation switch in the hookup box. Love this idea.

Ben

-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 ¼ million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

Deleted.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.

Last edited by designer on Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: