Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation th Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
kourt wrote:
Howdy SCM,

Do you have a house power system? If I understand you correctly, you want to power the compressor with a system that can function without the engine being on.

Exactly. I do have a house power system.

It sounds like you guys are using the "isolation switch" wiring to connect to your outside, illuminated switch. What I would like to do is take the red-yel wire that's shown going to the ignition switch in the wiring diagram, and instead run that to an on/off switch then to my house battery.

Is there any reason that wouldn't work?

I was planning on passing my twin air ARB through my blue sea fuse panel, but it only has a 30a rating per circuit. The twin has a 40a fuse in-line, so it doesn't seem like I can do that. What i want is to have a master switch inside on my 8 panel switch bank so that any unruly kids or others don't get curious and open my side ports and flip my toggle switch to turn on the compressor when it's unattended. Can i run the red/yellow to the switch panel as master, and send the other 40's to the battery as usual, thus achieving my goal of master "on" inside, side port toggle turns on compressor?

Don't want to melt anything prematurely.

Thanks!

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

Can you specify which Blue Sea panel you are using?

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Can you specify which Blue Sea panel you are using?

kourt

Can’t find the model number but looking on their site all had a 30a per circuit max.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I did a test run with my scenario above bypassing the panel and sending the re/yellow wire to the switch panel and it operated without blowing anything up so I _think_ I’m good?

Thanks kourt

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

I think if you fuse the direct line from the battery to the compressor, you'll be fine. Perhaps you already mentioned that and I missed it. Anyway, fuse it near the battery and you're good.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

Anyone do this without the GW kit? (they're out of stock)

'85 2WD Westy w/ Peloquin TBD + 2.2 Subi (Kurt Vannegut)
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

thebigben wrote:
Anyone do this without the GW kit? (they're out of stock)

i did not use the GW kit.

thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

Looks like the issue is sourcing the ARB compressor.

Any thoughts on heavy duty off brand compressors?

'85 2WD Westy w/ Peloquin TBD + 2.2 Subi (Kurt Vannegut)
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

Just updating this thread.

I'm installing another on-board ARB compressor in a different van this week and realized I didn't really document the wiring solution in this thread. I got stumped by the wiring problem and had to refer back to my own thread. I realized it wasn't giving complete information!

The solution below assumes that you will desire to have the compressor to run while the engine is off.

In the GoWesty hookup box, the two pole SPST switch should be wired with the small ARB harness that has four wires that are unterminated. Those four wires are red, green, yellow, and black. Tape down the green and black wires, and wire the switch with red on one pole and yellow on the other.

Moving away from the switch towards the relay, cut off the two 2-pin white T connectors that are intended for the solenoids, and find the yellow wire. Don't confuse these connectors with the pressure switch connectors, which are red and blue--leave those alone and connect them to the pressure switch.

Tape down all the other wires from the cut off 2-pin white T connectors. Add a length of wire to that yellow wire to bring it to wherever your main positive wire connection is for the whole compressor. Just have that added wire follow the main 10ga positive lead. There should also be a black wire that follows the main 10ga negative lead.

When connecting your large pos/neg leads, incorporate the added wire from the yellow circuit with the red positive lead. Incorporate the little black wire following the negative circuit with the black negative lead.

Make sure your circuit is properly fused for 40 amps. Discard the rest of the wiring.

When the whole circuit is energized, the yellow circuit, which goes to the switch at the compressor connection box, is now energized. When you close the switch and complete the circuit, you energize the small red wire to the pressure switch, which then regulates the compressor back to the relay.

I hope this helps complete this thread and make the install clearer for everyone.

kourt
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

@kourt, is there a place where we can follow the build of your new van? I'd love to see what you're doing to it.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
@kourt, is there a place where we can follow the build of your new van? I'd love to see what you're doing to it.

Well, it's a Eurovan. When I get a chance, I'll start posting to the Eurovan forum. For now, there's too much work to do to it and it's keeping me very busy--too busy to create posts with rich content.

I'm still reading the Vanagon forum (I sold my Vanagon) so don't fret. I love The Samba and Vanagons too much to turn my back on them.

kourt
Jan Steinman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Compressor (on-board compressed air) installation thread Reply with quote

It's nice to be able to pump up your tires when you need to, or even raise/lower each wheel separately, but you left out the very best part of having an air supply: AIR HORNS!

Here's my first attempt at a camper, before I Saw The Light.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note the air horns. People got out of my way when I honked them!

It used a simple solenoid air valve, triggered by the horn button on the steering wheel.

It also ran on waste vegetable oil. Haven't done that to a Westy… yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: