Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not getting topic update emails anymore...
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Not getting topic update emails anymore... Reply with quote

Noticed I hadn't received any updates in a while, so I came by the site and saw that at least one thread had updated, multiple times.
Checked settings, still correct, and I was still logged on when I opened the site, so I don't know what the problem is. If nothing else, I can go through one-by-one and unwatch-rewatch all of them, but I'll have to check my back log of update emails to see where I last read them before updates.
Ah, technology. Rolling Eyes
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no issue with the site that I know of and I looked at your email address and don't recognize it as being one where I got any rejects so it should be working.

Of course I can't know if it's going to your spam folder or if your email provider is blocking it another way thinking it is spam.

Watching/unwatching everything would reset the flag but won't help if your email is the issue.

Side note on how it works:
You only get ONE email until you visit the topic again, even if there are multiple replies. So if you miss the email, that's it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll look into the email bit, maybe with the new update it started putting samba emails straight into the samba folder before I read 'em?
Anyway, thanks for checking and I'll let you know how it works out. Cool
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got caught up on all of them so hopefully that'll count as visited and I won't keep tabs open to them through successive sessions, so it won't mess up via my browser.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Not getting topic update emails anymore... Reply with quote

Seems the issue might be having too many watched topics, haven't gotten updates for over a year until one just today, so I'm cleaning out my list and maybe that'll fix things. Ah, technology. Rolling Eyes
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Not getting topic update emails anymore... Reply with quote

I get email just fine when I send myself a PM, so I think I just have too many topics watched and will soonish try emptying my list and repopulating it.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Not getting topic update emails anymore... Reply with quote

Well, trimmed some more from my list, see how it goes. If still nothing, I'll have to change to my yahoo mail and see if it likes that better. Kinda wish there was a place I could see the newest post since last read of watched topics on here rather than depend on unreliably over-aggressive email pre-inbox filters to not block update emails. If it wasn't such a pain to update email across all my profiles on different sites I'd probably drop hotmail/outlook in the trash, but so far it's less of a pain to stay. So far.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Not getting topic update emails anymore... Reply with quote

VeeDubWolf wrote:
I get email just fine when I send myself a PM, so I think I just have too many topics watched and will soonish try emptying my list and repopulating it.

This doesn't matter here on the site.
It could matter on your email if it thinks you are getting so many that it's spam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Not getting topic update emails anymore... Reply with quote

Yeah, that's probably it. The notification worked this time, oddly enough.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Not getting topic update emails anymore... Reply with quote

Weird thing, when I get a notification for a topic I've posted in it reaches my inbox, but not when it's one I've just clicked 'watch topic' on. Not sure how that would change whatever tags are setting off the pre-filter on my email, but it intrigues me. Sorry to bother you with this so much Everett, mostly just keeping a log of trends in what my email allows through at this point.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Not getting topic update emails anymore... Reply with quote

There is no difference on the site as to whether you have posted in the thread - it doesn't know.

The email sent is no different either.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Not getting topic update emails anymore... Reply with quote

Okay, must be coincidence then.
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
You only get ONE email until you visit the topic again, even if there are multiple replies. So if you miss the email, that's it.

Any way to personalize this setting? I seem to missing quite a few conversations due to not knowing when people reply. Also, I seem to also not be getting notifications on some topics, not even on the first reply.

I'd like to be notified every time there's a reply on any of my watched topics.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewire wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Any way to personalize this setting? I seem to missing quite a few conversations due to not knowing when people reply. Also, I seem to also not be getting notifications on some topics, not even on the first reply.

I'd like to be notified every time there's a reply on any of my watched topics.

No, it's just how it works.
You can look at the "Watched Topics" list from the Forums menu.
If you enter any of the topics, it resets the flag as it knows you visited the thread again.
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

No, it's just how it works.
You can look at the "Watched Topics" list from the Forums menu.
If you enter any of the topics, it resets the flag as it knows you visited the thread again.

Ok, thanks for explaining that, Everett.

I love TheSamba and with all due respect (and I really do meant that), having to revisit the topic to get notified of replies is a catch 22: I won't get notifications on replies if I don't visit the topic again, and I won't visit the topic if I don't get notified.

Having more topic reply emails coming in to my inbox would engage me, and others, in better conversations, more often.

Anyway, there's probably a perfectly good reason the forum notification is set like that and it's still a great resource, and I will continue to contribute. I'll just get in the habit of going to the watched topics area, then back to the sub forum.

Thank you, Sir!

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Not getting topic update emails anymore... Reply with quote

Yes, I totally understand what you mean by the catch-22 there.

It's very possible that the notifications are going into your Spam box so make sure you check there as well or see if you can mark [email protected] or the entire thesamba.com sender as "Safe" in case this helps you get future notifications.

I don't want to say what email provider you are using in public but I have had people tell me that messages from the site end up in their Spam or Trash folder from time to time for some reason. This may require you to make a "Filter" if there isn't something like a "Safe Senders" list.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: