Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Judson Register is Closing/Relocating
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: The Judson Register is Closing/Relocating Reply with quote

After just over 15 years running this website on Judson Superchargers it’s time to make moves to secure the information for the foreseeable future. This has come about for several reasons, the main ones being the increased difficulty in keep the website up to date using software that stopped being supported in 2002 and the fact that the information needs a safe and secure location over the long term. The main components of the website have been carefully dismantled into its useful component parts and re-housed for future generations of “Vintage Speed” enthusiasts.

Where can you find these “useful component parts”? …Look no further. After a quick chat with Everett he has kindly found a cosy corner of The Samba Archive to house Judson History, Installation Instructions, Promotional Material, Magazine Test Reports and Technical Articles….the meat of the original Judson Register website.

You’ll find it all here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/

I like to think between myself and fellow Judson enthusiast over those 15 years we managed to put together a Judson Archive that contained virtually everything published on Judson Superchargers but that doesn’t mean it’s all done…all complete. If you have a look through The Samba Judson Archive and find you have something we’ve overlooked (or even a better copy)…provide either me or Everett with a good quality copy and we’ll add it to the Archive.

Your Judson questions and insights can of course be added to this "Vintage Speed" forum.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to John for building everything over time and taking the time to create tons of PDFs for me to host here.

Yes, if anyone has anything else to add, I will gladly add it to one of the relevant sub-sections above.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Judson Register is Closing/Relocating Reply with quote

I thought this might be the place to ask this question, and if not, what thread would be appropriate?

I have a Type 1 (double pulley) 36 hp Judson Supercharger in storage. It is Judson serial number 69703. Is there any list to check to determine a rough idea of it's production date or year? While I'm asking, is there a discussion thread on how to check to see if your vanes are worn or need replacing, or how to easily disassemble the supercharger case to inspect the rotor and vane condition. How hard or easy is this inspection process for a supercharger novice? Are common VW and home workbench tool enough, or are there unobtainable tools needed? Thanks for any advice!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Judson Register is Closing/Relocating Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I thought this might be the place to ask this question, and if not, what thread would be appropriate?

I have a Type 1 (double pulley) 36 hp Judson Supercharger in storage. It is Judson serial number 69703. Is there any list to check to determine a rough idea of it's production date or year? While I'm asking, is there a discussion thread on how to check to see if your vanes are worn or need replacing, or how to easily disassemble the supercharger case to inspect the rotor and vane condition. How hard or easy is this inspection process for a supercharger novice? Are common VW and home workbench tool enough, or are there unobtainable tools needed? Thanks for any advice!

Bill Bowman

Hiya Bill,

The serial numbers I think will forever remain a mystery. The late W. Haddon Judson jnr. told me they were simply sequential without any spec significance. The early 36hp Judsons were stamped "VW" until the advent of the 40hp 1200 engines; the 40hp Judsons were stamped "VWII". From that time forward (1961) the 36hp Judsons carried the stamp "VWI." No real way to date a Judson other than a rough estimate.

Yes pretty well workbench tools are all you need. If you look at the Installation instructions and scroll down to "Service Data" it will tell you how to disassemble...basically remove the rear plate first: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/judson/in...ctions.pdf

Dave Cormack also did a resto article for Hot VWs in 2003 which should help too: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/judson/te...ormack.pdf

Hope that's of use. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: