Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear window latch 1972 karmann ghia (not working)
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEFF RANALLO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Rear window latch 1972 karmann ghia (not working) Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I'm a new member, and just learning how to navigate this system. I tried to post a reply yesterday, however I believe it failed. Thus, I would like to extrapolate on my new topic.

I'm the proud owner of a 1972 Karmann Ghia which once belonged to my dear uncle. I'm in the process of restoring it to its beautiful glory. Unfortunatly, during the process I have experienced that there are people out there that are not qualified to work on such classic vehicles.
To get to my issue. I recently had a new convertible top installed, and the person who istalled it could not get the rear window latch to lock. Thus my window will not lock properly and just unlatches. After I pulled the latch from the vehicle to analize it under a magnifying glass, I noticed a uncoilded spring which looked as though it did not belong. It looked as it had been intentionally installed into a sleeve, and the uncoiled end of the spring was then to be wrapped around the bearing. After reading on line that this latch operates on a bearing system, and that these bearings are what holds the latch in place. My question: Does anyone know if this spring belongs in this latch? Secondy, I could purchase a new latch but I'm fearful that I may then possibly run into the same issue. Any sugesstions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear window latch? On a convertible KG?

Hmm...

bnc
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has useful info: My response in that thread will be the same for your scenario . Of course some pics would be helpful.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72281&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

swavananda wrote:
fun2drum wrote:
bajorek wrote:
How tight is that latch to be screwed into the top? Mine has to be slightly loose in order for it to latch, but even then it doesn't stay.

Is this an alignment issue, or is the latch worn out?

I realize this is an old thread but this is the exact issue I'm having.

Unfortunately there is not an easy diagnosis for this. There is a chance the top installer did not do it right. In this thread you will see that the rear window alignment needs to be done in one of the first steps of the procedure. You can ask them if they had done it that way.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...ight=[img]

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/627219.jpg

If they did not follow the proper procedure ,then there is no easy fix.
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spring belongs to the latch! I've seen such an uncoiled spring, but in my case this does not affected the operation of the latch. Let's hope that the latch is the problem - the other possible issue is wrong positioning of the rear bow - take a look here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389729

If the problem is the second - this gonna hurt ...
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The uncoiled spring usually means the latch is toast.

These latches are a very precise mechanism that is very delicate and can break easily.

You can try adjusting yours to see if you can get it to work.

KGPR has good repros but they are not cheap. Its pretty much your only option if you need one as its difficult to find a used one that works.

Here is the KGPR item:

http://www.karmannghia.com/viewDetail.asp?strMasterCat=2375&idproduct=2476
abnascar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rear window latch 1972 karmann ghia (not working) Reply with quote

I had the same problem. I put together a video showing how it is latched. It may not be a bad latch, the tension and position has to be just right. It is a two handed job and the top has to be unlatched from the front to allow rear glass latch to close properly. Once it is closed, the top is tightened and latched up front.

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: