Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
87vanwes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

fleet_maintenance wrote:
How goes the battle?
Christmas update?
Happy holidays!

The battle continues.. Thanks for checking in on me. I'm just trying to finish up loose ends. It's a little tight in the garage, and I can't jack the old boy up.

I scrounged up some pics for ya.

A nice little pile of parts.. Still working and sorting out of this stuff.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And some odds and ends.

Double tie backs on the slider curtain.

Wiring has has been the most going on around here.

The after cooler or charged air cooler I call it, I'm trying to finish up. The bilge blower is not to force feed it at speed but to keep the air moving when sitting still or at very low speeds. It's also nice because it flushes out the heat in the engine bay.

It does vacuum a plastic bag to the vent, but just barely.

The next thing I must address is trans cooling. I have every thing ready just not installed yet.

Thanks again for checking in. Happy holidays and a Merry Christmas to you and yours.

We need to check in with project Crunchie as well.

Cheers....

1987 westy syncro tdi conversion and restoration.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
87vanwes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Good to stumble over your thread again.
It's looking great!
Sobering to see the pic of the PO's stash in the glove box dated 3 yrs. ago...it takes so long to get where you want to be!

Question: Looking at the Eberspacher D2 install - How much heat actually comes off the outside of the black housing when it is running?

Thanks Steve

Not long ago I went through this thread and was very suprised at the date on the photos. I spent about 2 yrs collecting parts and messing with the diesel and just over a year restoring and combining the two vans. I would have thought it was the oposet.

The d2 housing stays amazingly cool. I would call it Luke warm at best. It's amazing how much heat that little thing puts out. Its noisy at first because the fan is hauling ass to get up to temperature but then it slows down to a nice little hum.

Cheers and happy holidays.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

87vanwes wrote:

The d2 housing stays amazingly cool. I would call it Luke warm at best. It's amazing how much heat that little thing puts out. Its noisy at first because the fan is hauling ass to get up to temperature but then it slows down to a nice little hum.

Cheers and happy holidays.

Thanks for that info. I'm in the parts collection stage right now and saw a good price on a D2 system. I'm just trying to figure out when I can get started and where I'm going to do it!

I actually went through your thread and copied a lot of the photos and put them in my Syncro folder under a reality folder as a reminder called "This is what you're getting into"!
I want mine the way I want it, but dam...it's a lot of work!

Hey have a great holiday! Nothing compares to watching the sun come up on the 1st at the beach in a your own Vanagon!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
fleet_maintenance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

Re-read the entire thread today thinking you may have posted your reasoning for keeping the front (2wd) filler hole was, if you posted it, I missed it. Aux tank? Something else? I have no doubt it was a deliberate decision.

I was stunned to see that your thread was 13 months old. A lot of work has gone into this, and clearly a lot went into the planning. It shows.

As always, thanks for the fantastic documentation. The improvements you are incorporating into your "rebuild/conversion" are what keeps these beloved boxes capable for modern travel, and from becoming relics.

BEST THREAD OF 2016, imho
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

fleet_maintenance wrote:
I was stunned to see that your thread was 13 months old. A lot of work has gone into this, and clearly a lot went into the planning. It shows.

Exactly.

There are so many details in here that show me I could / should be doing things a certain way. 87vanwes, Your experience really shines through. Thank you!!
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

I'll buy it off you. Laughing

I mean that as a compliment. For a non mechanic like me what you did/are doing is a work of art. I went through the whole thread. The attention to detail is exceptional.

My only critique is about the fiberglass work. From the photos the layups look rich. I worked for years in boat building and make surfboards as a hobby and know that a drier lamination, as long as it's completely saturated, is stronger. Of course the boats we were building were racing sailboats and, with surfboards too, you're always obsessing about eliminating every ounce of unnecessary weight.

But again, I'm blown away at your craftsmanship. Much, much respect!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

I'll buy it off you. Laughing

I mean that as a compliment. For a non mechanic like me what you did/are doing is a work of art. I went through the whole thread. The attention to detail is exceptional.

My only critique is about the fiberglass work. From the photos the layups look rich. I worked for years in boat building and make surfboards as a hobby and know that a drier lamination, as long as it's completely saturated, is stronger. Of course the boats we were building were racing sailboats and, with surfboards too, you're always obsessing about eliminating every ounce of unnecessary weight.

But again, I'm blown away at your craftsmanship. Much, much respect!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
87vanwes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

fleet_maintenance wrote:
Re-read the entire thread today thinking you may have posted your reasoning for keeping the front (2wd) filler hole was, if you posted it, I missed it. Aux tank? Something else? I have no doubt it was a deliberate decision.

As always, thanks for the fantastic documentation. The improvements you are incorporating into your "rebuild/conversion" are what keeps these beloved boxes capable for modern travel, and from becoming relics.

You are to kind my friend and thank you.

You would be correct I am making an aluminum aux tank some time this spring under the slider. It will be plumbed to the heater and have a transfer pump to the main tank.

I will try to keep updating my progress. Even though the van looks done and drives great, I still have lots to do and share. Some of my favorite threads just ended incomplete. I'm trying not to do that.

I stil have lots to do in my limited spare time but, it's very convenient to have it home.

Buttoning up loose ends is endless. Wireing... I pulled lots of it.

Ran the lighting circuits in the b pillar.

This was temporary. Adding the switches and dimmers.

The ventilation opening was handy for this.

I like this location. Some of the switches are backed up by dimmers.

The lights over the couch are swiched at the b and dimed just above it.

The lighting is way cool. It was a lot of work, but well worth it.

The sound system is great, and its kind of cool to watch a movie in the garage.

I will try to keep the updates coming because I'm far from done.

Cheers

87vanwes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

Happy New Year... I hope every one had a good one.

I'm plugging along on the van best I can in my limited amount of room. It's nice to have it home, but not being able to jack it up kinda sucks.

Early on in my thread I put some effort in drilling and tapping for a sensor in my bell housing for a tach probe. My intentions was to use the internals from a teleflex tachometer and marry it into the vanagon cluster.

What I really wanted was a diesel specific MKII tachometer from a Jetta, golf well you know.

I scored one on eBay Shocked

170 was a little pricey, but if weighed out buying a teleflex tach and mushing it all together and still not having a good face.

Let's put some parts together Very Happy

Here's the cluster.

The tach is in great shape and a perfect clock.

It took two vanagon clusters and the MKII to make one.

The syncro one was shot. Tape was it's best friend.

The odometer still works and the speedometer is spot on. I'm just going to do my best to not reset the trip odometer .

The diesel tach is almost a perfect fit, however the black vanagon holder needs to be changed to the MKII tach.

The tach and the speedo are face down in the paint cups to prevent dust.
I soaked the rest of it in an armor all type of stuff to try and rehydrate the plastic. It's sad how dried out and brittle this stuff gets.

It's all together.

The cruise control is going to be nice Cool Cool

Since I had to ditch my sensor in the bell housing. I needed a W signal from the alternator. Luckily my crank to alternator ratio was almost spot on 2.22 to 1. That's what's printed on the face of the tachometer.

The W signal is any of the three legs from the stator before the enter the diode block.

I soldered to one of the legs with 20 gauge wire. The thought here was it will act like a fusible link if something went wrong. It's possible the terminal just below my ring terminal is a W signal, but I wasn't sure.

I created a new W thermal on the alternator.

It connects to the green wire in the factory harness in the engine compartment junction box. Somewhere in the harness is a light green wire.

Works like a champ. I checked it against my photo tach and it's spot on.

Cheers

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

Nice work.

No EGT gauge? I find it is very useful for dialing in the fueling gives you immediate information when there is an issue with the fuel system.

I know that 'diesel' boost gauges have boost only (no vac) because without a throttle plate, the intake manifold pressure under normal operation always stays positive. I prefer the boost/vac gauges, though, because they will give immediate warning if there is any intake restriction (e.g. plugged air cleaner or collapsed hose, etc...) and for me the point to a gauge is to give quick warning of issues. Lack of warning about an intake restriction can actually cause diesel runaway with the intake sucking overly hard on the crank vent and pulling in oil.

Anyway, top notch work as always. Very good to see. I've done exactly the same on a couple alts that didn't have the W terminal .
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

I like the way you roll... Very nice...

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
87vanwes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Nice work.

No EGT gauge? I find it is very useful for dialing in the fueling gives you immediate information when there is an issue with the fuel system.

I know that 'diesel' boost gauges have boost only (no vac) because without a throttle plate, the intake manifold pressure under normal operation always stays positive. I prefer the boost/vac gauges, though, because they will give immediate warning if there is any intake restriction (e.g. plugged air cleaner or collapsed hose, etc...) and for me the point to a gauge is to give quick warning of issues. Lack of warning about an intake restriction can actually cause diesel runaway with the intake sucking overly hard on the crank vent and pulling in oil.

Anyway, top notch work as always. Very good to see. I've done exactly the
same on a couple alts that didn't have the W terminal .

The egt gauge is above the oil pressure gauge , unless you think it's one sixty two in the after noon.

I could not agree with you more when it comes to crankcase ventilation and or air filter restrictions. The canister I installed is from a 12.9 liter engine with the check valve to prevent making fuel for a runaway.

As always I think what you do for this community is priceless, and thank you for the kind words.

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

Of course. Digital EGT. It just didn't register. Smile
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

If that is a Trans temp gauge, its never going to register, the syncro trans runs well below those ranges on the gauge.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

Yeah, I bought the same gauge for the same purpose, and was informed that it's ideally setup for an automatic. For my mTDI build, I just wired my engine oil temp gauge with a toggle to switch between the engine and trans senders for monitoring temps.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
snwbrdr435
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

I spy an enbloc
87vanwes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

thasty07 wrote:
If that is a Trans temp gauge, its never going to register, the syncro trans runs well below those ranges on the gauge.

How about asking "isn't that trans gauge out of spec for the syncro transaxle"

And I would say "good question"

I went outside of the box when placing my temp sender. IMO the only time I need to worry about trans temps is in fourth gear at highway speeds especially with a tdi pushing a .70 gear ratio.

So I chose to locate my sender wear the oil is pealing off fourth gear with surprising and alarming results. I chose this location because I could see where the oil had cleaned the case between the shift rods.

In my limited travels without the trans cooler I have Seen temps pushing 225 @ 60 mph on a 70 degree day

I agree the gauges range is a bit high but it works for what I'm doing.

87vanwes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

0cean wrote:
I like the way you roll... Very nice...

Thank you...

87vanwes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of pics Reply with quote

snwbrdr435 wrote:
I spy an enbloc

Are you referring to the m1garand n block to a custom chambered one in .308 ???

I didn't see that and have no idea what your talking about Rolling Eyes

87vanwes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 Westy Syncro TDI conversion and restoration~lots of p Reply with quote

Herr Motorspiele wrote:
Love this thread! Fellow Tarheel getting it done! Very Happy Really digging your shop too. I like surveying the tools and background just as much as the van project! Those ironworkers are a real timesaver that's for sure. I got to use one all summer in a shop I was working in last year, sheared thick plate like butter. Seems like I maybe saw the tailstock of a South Bend somewhere in there too? Heavy 10"? I try to get down to Cape Lookout a couple times a year and camp on the island. God's country down there and the fishing ain't bad either! Wink

This may be one of the most delayed responses ever and I apologize for it. I just don't remember seeing it. To answer your question, it's an unusual one, a south bend single phase 13 and a half by 60 built in 1942. I wish it could talk. I bet it could tell some great story's, I'm sure wwII related.

The lathe did play a part in this latest post, the transmition or transaxle cooler.

My original plan was to have a v belt riding directly on the cv joint housing to drive my pump. I realized there was not enough friction on the belt in cold conditions to pump the oil, so I needed a v belt pulley mounted to my cv joint.

This is by far is not my idea. NASCAR uses belt driven rear end coolers for super speedway tracks. It is somewhat similar to pushing an overweight brick down the road at 70 mph on little tiny gears and bearings.

IMO cooling fourth gear and preventing case expansion is your best bet for these gear boxes.

So here we go... A little update for the van stuffed in my little garage.

I started with a slugg of aluminum.

A hole saw to roughly cut out the center

Cutting the inside diameter.

And cutting to thickness.

Now for the v belt cuts.

Pulley flipped for the mirrored cut.

Drilled and tapped, four set screws.

The pump is covered earlier on in this thread. It's a hydrolic pump. It's hard to get pics it's tucked in tight.

A little paint failure. I'm guessing the aluminum was a bit oil saturated.

I missed a couple of photos.. Adding soon.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 18

Jump to: