Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gen idiot light help
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Gen idiot light help Reply with quote

My 72 bus gen light glowed very slightly when running. at idle had 12.6 at the battery. I thought it was a poor ground at the dash socket. removed the wire, took a small lamp with jumpers, one to blue wire one side to ground. No light. I took a temp wire from reg to idiot light still nothing Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The charge light doesn't "ground" anywhere, both the wire from the regulator (blue) and the insulated metal area the bulb holder snaps into (black #15) are positive power, when one wire makes more or less voltage then the other the bulb lights. A glowing light indicates weak connections somewhere between the back of the bus and the front, often more than just one.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bus Daddy, its starting to make sense. so if I put a test lead from 15 on the coil to one leg on the blue wire from reg it should work?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put a test light between #15 and the blue wire it should light when stopped and go out when running, don't put power directly to the regulator. Or a light between the blue wire and ground should light when running, but remember the alternator requires the backfeed of voltage through the bulb to supply the exitement to begin charging so start with the ground clip of the test light on some positive source of power.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2

Tests: measure the voltage between the regulator D+ terminal and battery "+", and (using a long wire) between battery "+" and the 12 volt black feeder to the idiot lights mounting plate. Both should be zero. One of them won't be. Clean, wiggle, and tighten connections between the alternator/regulator, starter, and the front of the bus. One or more connections need help. Sometimes it's caused by a failing ignition switch.

Explanation: the ALT/GEN idiot light assumes the buss voltage at the front of the bus is exactly the same as at the battery. If not (e.g., there's a voltage drop in the path), the ALT/GEN light will glow slightly.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a new blue 16ga wire from the regulator to the dash. I hooked up a test light between the blue wire and the fuse feeding ignition terminal 15. Have bright light with ign on, but glows slightly when running, and no rise in voltage at batt. How can I test alt? I also tried with 2 different regulators, no difference
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I ran a new blue 16ga wire from the regulator to the dash. I hooked up a test light between the blue wire and the fuse feeding ignition terminal 15. Have bright light with ign on, but glows slightly when running, and no rise in voltage at batt.

So: what was the running battery voltage? Should be somewhere between 13.8 and 14.4 vdc.

Run a temporary wire overland from the battery to the front of the bus. Measure the voltage between this wire and the mounting plate which holds the GEN/ALT light (engine running at idle). The voltage should be zero, but I'll bet it's not.

If the meter doesn't read zero, then you have a voltage drop between the battery and the bus dash wiring. Disconnect the battery. Starting at the starter, loosen and clean the connections on the red/white power feeder wire going forward from the big lug on the starter. The other end of the wire should be at the fuse block. The power passes through a buss bar on the fuse block to a red wire which goes to the ignition switch. From there, it travels via a black wire back to the fuse block, passes through a fuse, then travels via a smaller black wire to the gauge cluster. You need to disconnect and clean each connection along this path. Make sure they're tight on reassembly.

If this doesn't fix it, measure the voltage drop across the ignition switch, red wire to black wire, at the junction block. Again, it should be zero. If not, the ignition switch is making a poor connection internally, and should be replaced.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any poor connection along this route of travel will add voltage drop. This voltage difference between the dash and the engine is what makes the lamp glow slightly.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow Had enough today, gonna go watch the Giants!
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: idiot light help Reply with quote

Thanks to all who helped. It was the ring terminal on the alt. to starter wire. It was tight , but oxidized inside. replaced terminal, cleaned all starter connection, and im back in business Thanks again
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: