Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Hot question of the day: Do pictures definitively prove whether you know WTF you're talking about?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Personally, being that I'm a photographer, YES if talking about photography.

Oh, you meant van photos? Laughing

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

I guess it's open to interpretation?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Oh, I understood the comment.

Evil Diversion Tactic was my strategy. Wink

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The most difficult part was removal. Rust, window full up, non working motor. The installation was easy except for dropped wire and connector and late installation of nylon mount for pump bottom. Both windows work up and down from the driver's side and the passenger window works up and down from the passenger side. The motor and regulator that was removed looked to be in unsoaked condition and perhaps the connections at the motor were heavily corroded. Sent the core back to Stacy. The second most difficult job was the Stacy loop to fit it back in the USPS box. The PO had been in the door and had glued the bezel to the upholstery. I had a bezel keeper in my parts bin and I used that instead of glue.

Aloha
tp

Last edited by Tom Powell on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Oh look, it's my 466th motor rebuild and my 221nd Regulator rebuild there in the picture.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Oh look, it's my 466th motor rebuild and my 221nd Regulator rebuild there in the picture.

Stacy

The core is in the mail for a refund. Not sure if it was OG or a rebuiid. It looked to be in good shape except for terminal corrosion. I have an appointment with Steve on Monday for a steering rack and pump replacement. $$$

Aloha
tp
midmo81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

After a visit to a State Park recently the last hour of the trip home was after dark on the interstate I70. While it was normal for everyone to pass, the strangest thing started to happen. Cars would get to just short of passing and slow to my speed checking out the cool VW I guess. Then about 30 seconds later zoom on down the highway. Happened enough times to become funny. Never saw this in daytime.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

midmo81 wrote:
After a visit to a State Park recently the last hour of the trip home was after dark on the interstate I70. While it was normal for everyone to pass, the strangest thing started to happen. Cars would get to just short of passing and slow to my speed checking out the cool VW I guess. Then about 30 seconds later zoom on down the highway. Happened enough times to become funny. Never saw this in daytime.

Sure you weren’t dragging something? Very Happy

I can’t help but think every time someone pauses to look at the van as they blow by, that they are trying to point to the fluid/smoke/god knows what coming out of the engine compartment....gotta get over that....
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

midmo81 wrote:

I see people doing that all the time (during the day), usually while the passenger is taking photos/video. Very Happy Laughing
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Yep.

We see cameras (okay, settle down Big Fella, they're *phones*) pointed at us all the time. A particularly-memorable encounter was about a year ago.

A lady in the Deep South had her phone going and then called out from the roadside, "Is that one of those Scoooby-Doooo vaaaans???

— Colin Chapman
midmo81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Had a driver behind me a few weeks ago with phone up taking pictures. Does that make me an accessory to a crime. Twisted Evil
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Because Toyota was chicken, I have a Vanagon.

Link

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

We were just at a light in Rural Berks County Pa this morning.

I had swung wide past a bicyclist as I approached the light.
He must have pedaled like the wind to catch up.
He startled my Wife by knocking on the passenger glass.
She rolled down the window and this older guy with a heavy German accent gushed on and on about how he used to have one of these and it is so great to see one on the road.....
I responded that we were almost home returning from a trip to Crescent City California...... his shocked expression was almost priceless! Laughing

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

In the final stage of my cloned Vintage Air install in my Multivan. Mounting, electrical and plumbing done. Now trying to get the Defrost vents modified.
Since mine is not a Small Car kit I am paying the price of having to do a few Mods to make it work.
If you are not creative and big jobs scare you then I would advise buying the kit from Small Car. If you like being inventive and cutting and hacking then piece meal it like I am doing.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

What is this new trend of people driving well into Dusk or Dawn with zero exterior lighting??!!

It is becoming more and more prevelant, so bad that on my recent 8,000 mile trip West I all but gave up on passing people during the dusk hours because some of these car colors are almost invisible without lighting.

My theory is with the wide spread use of digital gauges people don't relize that they CANNOT BE SEEN!!
It is still light enough that They can see without lights and their dash is lit up just fine...... whats the problem?

I can see this becoming a major road hazard in the very near future.

Why the US doesn't rquire DRL's or automatic headlights at dark is a mystery.
I guess we need X thousands of fatalities before "common" sense kicks in?

I added DRL's to my Van so that I can always be seen.

I don't want to be one of those X thousands.

Or am I alone in this observation?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

My Swedish Spec Tristar has DRL's from Factory. Some countries are just a little more progressive then others.
I spent a few hours yesterday and today in the final throws of putting my dash back together from my fore mentioned in dash air install. Looks great and all thing fit fairly well, the glove box got a little shave and the ashtray stands a little proud, My Arrgh moment is that my dash vents are not getting air because the door is not opening in the housing, The stepper motor is not strong enough to pull it open. I had the unit back out of the dash yesterday and operated it 30 times with no issue, once installed it quit working on the second try.
I've talked to VA and they are nice and helpful, but they are just not down the street and any repair involves pulling the dash back out or at least loosening it up. This is where it would have been great to have paid someone to do this.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980

Last edited by 16CVs on Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

I'm with you, Dave. I see it more and more here too. Defensive driving, people...

"Wherever there are people, there'll be stupid people there..."

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

I once took advantage of the full moon light (late at night) and drove south on I-25 in New Mexico with all lights out. At 90 MPH. Stealth mode. Not in a Vanagon, obviously. I was younger and dumber. Kept me awake, though.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

I just followed a car at 50 mph running with no lights at 10:00 pm. Given the streetlights here one doesn’t really need lights to see. That said, it’s astounding that a late model car can be operated w/out lights in the US. Cars have sensors to run the wipers, dim the mirror, alert the driver that the car is veering out of the lane...all while the taillights are not lit at night. Crazy.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 26

Jump to: