Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Just got back from Kalispell. While driving between there and Whitefish saw two modern vehicles without their lights on. Flashed my lights at one, no response. Probably texting... Rolling Eyes

The other really bad thing are the poorly aimed, high wattage headlights on the giant pickup trucks in Montana Evil or Very Mad

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

The other really bad thing are the poorly aimed, high wattage headlights on the giant pickup trucks in Montana Evil or Very Mad

Goodness, I need a support group to help me understand what kind of retarded chimpanzee runs led lightbars on their PED-inspired-pickups or runs blue lights on their slammed Golfs. No offense too monkeys but those drivers should be flogged and sent to Australia.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
raoul mitgong wrote:
You know what I haven't had in a really long time?... Big League Chew.
-d

You know what I really, really miss and am dying to sink my teeth into while relaxing in my van, but can't?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Drool

Try the Fried Green Tomatoes...and the BBQ is to die for
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Hey do any of you guys remember this illustration for the BFY obsolete parts place in California? Took my '87 sunroof to Oshkosh one summer and wish I'd had this get up. Now want to model some on a Vanagon. Want it to be big to hang in garage. 24" model (before additions) Anybody know of a source?

Duncan
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Not sure where to put this but wanted to put it somewhere...I read this article a few days ago and found it hilarious and very true:

https://expeditionportal.com/tail-lamp-camp-fear/

I liked it so much, I read their first book. Even with typo's and sentence fragments, it's a funny and fantastic read:

https://www.a2aexpedition.com/product-page/the-overland-trilogy-ebooks

It made me want to build a super Syncro, quit the job, clean out the bank account, and hit the road (with the wife and kids, of course.)

I'm curious if others have read it and what they think about the Land Rover community. I was struck by their absolute willingness to help each other out, although I'm sure they suffer from petty infighting just like any other automotive community.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Not sure where to put this but wanted to put it somewhere...I read this article a few days ago and found it hilarious and very true:

https://expeditionportal.com/tail-lamp-camp-fear/

I liked it so much, I read their first book. Even with typo's and sentence fragments, it's a funny and fantastic read:

https://www.a2aexpedition.com/product-page/the-overland-trilogy-ebooks

It made me want to build a super Syncro, quit the job, clean out the bank account, and hit the road (with the wife and kids, of course.)

I'm curious if others have read it and what they think about the Land Rover community. I was struck by their absolute willingness to help each other out, although I'm sure they suffer from petty infighting just like any other automotive community.

Yeah, coincidentally I read it last night. Quite enjoyed it myself.
Definitely will check out the link to their other story. Thanks

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

So sitting here looking at my collection of vans in my driveway I realize that only 2 of 3 of them run.
Number 3, a 91 Orly Blue full powerWesty has the kitchen ripped out of it and a new battery but the starter will not turn. I think the starter is seized from sitting. I have another starter but may Whack it with a hammer just for fun.
The gas tank has a hole in it I can stick my thumb in, so a new tank is in order. I am glad this van was in a garage for 9 years and not out in a field.
Hopefully it will pop up and run with out to much drama. Pictures to follow.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
So sitting here looking at my collection of vans in my driveway I realize that only 2 of 3 of them run.
Number 3, a 91 Orly Blue full powerWesty has the kitchen ripped out of it and a new battery but the starter will not turn. I think the starter is seized from sitting. I have another starter but may Whack it with a hammer just for fun.
The gas tank has a hole in it I can stick my thumb in, so a new tank is in order. I am glad this van was in a garage for 9 years and not out in a field.
Hopefully it will pop up and run with out to much drama. Pictures to follow.

Stacy

I've been wondering if you were going to restore that Westy or part it out.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Restore may be a strong word for that van.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Restore may be a strong word for that van.

Stacy

So you won't be changing your username to 20CV's for awhile?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

One of these guys used to live across the street from me. He also enjoyed revving up his (loud) engine every time he came home. Other than that, he was always friendly whenever I bumped into him at the mailbox.

My theory is that the lights/lightbars originated in the Bakken natural gas fields. A lot of these guys used their own rigs for work. And work is 24/7 so you may need supplemental lights in the evening. They were making $ hand over fist so why not accessorize your truck, since you can't find housing to pump money into.

That's just a theory though as I still can't figure out everyone's fascination with driving hi-lift jacks, axes, shovels, and traction mats all around town on Jeeps, SUVs, and yes, vans.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

SCM wrote:

That's just a theory though as I still can't figure out everyone's fascination with driving hi-lift jacks, axes, shovels, and traction mats all around town on Jeeps, SUVs, and yes, vans.

It's advertising, "see, I'm a bad ass off-roader" even if they never leave the logging roads. Personally I leave that stuff at home unless I know I'm heading into really rough country. All that extra weight is just wasted gas.
Same goes for my camping goods, it's all in plastic totes and only loaded into the van when needed.
Now I just need to get over the security blanket of my 40lb tool box. I haven't had a major breakdown on the road for years since installing the Zetec yet I can't seem to leave it at home. I have a small basic kit but it doesn't feel right.
Too many years driving junkers. Very Happy

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

Now I just need to get over the security blanket of my 40lb tool box. I haven't had a major breakdown on the road for years since installing the Zetec yet I can't seem to leave it at home. I have a small basic kit but it doesn't feel right.
Too many years driving junkers. Very Happy

I hear you loud and clear!! I haven't needed tools on the road for many years, at least since the Subaru swap nine years ago, but they're still taking up most of the space under the back seat...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Quote:
It's advertising, "see, I'm a bad ass off-roader" even if they never leave the logging roads. P

Kind of like the 95% of Range Rovers that are sold on Manhattan??

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

I heard this guy drives two Vanagons. One in USA and one in Mexico. He is testing out his setup to see how high a wall he can get over.

[/img]
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

That's gonna leave a mark.

He seems to be looking at the camera and pointing, like "My Vanagon's thattaway." Proving yet again that NASCAR needs flying men to give a real show. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

SCM wrote:

I was strongly advised to get some traction mats for our trip to Baja last year, and I felt like a total Bro buying and taking them, so I put them in the Yak box out of site.

Then, we got stuck past the axles on a deserted beach and they were VERY effective at getting me un-stuck. The only dumb thing I did was bought forest green instead of orange and totally lost one in the deep sand. Took a while to find it. But no, I don't drive around town with them bolted to the side of the van or anything.

The telltale sign on an outfitted Jeep is the back plate of the rear differential. If it's shiny, factory clean (as most are in my 'hood) then that Jeep has never been anywhere fun.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

So I had a set of Recaro seats on Craigslist at a decent price, I posted them and let them run for a few days and had no reply. So I figured that I had them priced too high and lowered the price. Still no replies, I figured I'd let the ad run its course and try a different tact on the next go around.
Sitting at home watching Jeopardy I receive a call from a guy anxious to come and see the seats and possibly buy them. He says he could be by in about 1/2 hour, I gave him my stats and said call when you're outside which he did.
I drug them out and he gave them the once over and made me an intelligent offer and we struck a deal. After I had cash in hand, he told me the rest of the story.
It seems as though I had inverted 2 of my numbers and no one could call me on them, the person who owned the number said he didn't know me but there had been quite a few people looking for me. And he didn't have any seats for sale. Then the smarter then your average bear buyer, put my name and my area code and Prefix into Google and up I popped, He wasn't sure it was going to work but the combination of my name, number and location all worked.
I have to say that guy deserves those seats. I don't know if I would have caught that, but I will be more careful next time thats for sure.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Random post, but yeah...here's all you really need after a flat tire:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013FDT1L2/_encoding=UTF...&psc=0

Laughing Laughing Laughing

...now back to your regular programming... Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Ha!!!

If it is warm enough for Sandals...... I'm usually barefoot so I don't need the kit.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 26

Jump to: