Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

The tilting instrument cluster is its most redeeming feature. Have mercy on your $oul

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
The tilting instrument cluster is its most redeeming feature. Have mercy on your $oul

I'll probably just drop an EJ25 in it and go from there. Twisted Evil

I've already got a much more qualified buyer lined up if it lives up to its well-earned reputation, but I'm going to give it a shot just for sh*ts and giggles.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Way to go Joe, Congrats.

Motor sounds so good at high revs a trick exhaust would be fun.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

I've already got a much more qualified buyer lined up if it lives up to its well-earned reputation, but I'm going to give it a shot just for sh*ts and giggles.

I would respond with a pithy retort, but apparently that's frowned upon by the American Scatological Society's 2019 Humorless Initiative.

So, just imagine me typing out something amazing and in a Port Manteauian dialect...yeah, you can see it, amirite?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Pikes Peak rear bumper Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Don't take this the wrong way, but you have some fine tomatoes. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

This is a cruel place for Zeitgeist, we are harshing his chi this month.

Laughing
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Just read the first post in this topic. I'd like to contribute.

I bought my first Vanagon, an '84 GL, in April of 1990, to haul my wife of one year and our blended families. We were expecting a child and wanted room for all. She was my High School sweetheart. We met in '68, I took off to see the world and got lost on the way back. It took me 16 years to get through the Basic Training part of my life and track her down again. We were married happily for 30 years, wrote our own Book of Life. She passed away in August of 2018.

Here's the Vanagon part: Part of my philosophy is based on a quote from Epictetus, a philosopher that lived a couple thousand years ago. He said, "It's not what occurs, it's how you respond that matters". Add to that something someone once told me, "You Eat Life or Life Eat You". With those two thoughts as a guide, I resolved to deal with my wife's death in a constructive manner. I bought an '88 Westy.

We had owned the '84 GL for 28 years. I had maintained and repaired it for decades; I knew what I was getting into. I found the van I was looking for in the Samba Classifieds; 25 miles away and $10K less than what I was prepared to pay. I asked my wife posthumously about buying it. Her answer was, "As long as you name it after me". I had custom stickers made for the rear quarter panels that say "Miss Dorothy". Promise kept.

I bought a National Parks Interagency Lifetime Senior Pass and spent my 67th birthday out at Joshua Tree getting to know the Westy. I took off for Death Valley between Christmas and New Year's, trying out my Little Buddy heater. I met Eric (E1) and his wife out there at Mesquite Springs. They were in their replacement Westy. I realized I had driven past Meteor Crater out on Route 66 a couple dozen times since I was a kid, so my next trip was to Grand Canyon, a day's drive from home. Spent the night and went to Meteor Crater the next day, then on to Winslow. Subsequent trips were to Canyon De Chelly, Chaco Canyon (on Spring Equinox), and Cedar Mesa in Utah. That turned into Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon and Zion. I was still working but able to use up a lot of vacation time. I've since retired. I am still learning.

Here's the point: The Westy became an important part of my do-it-yourself therapy. I spent a lot of windshield time talking to my wife, creating balance between what I wanted and what I had and reviewing the tenets of my own cobbled-together philosophy. I slept in some remote places, spent a lot of time by myself and went to "go see". The Westy gave me the freedom to get away from the familiar and miss it, the opportunity to sit up in front, looking out the windshield and be right here, right now. I've met some good people, many of them driving Westies. "Miss Dorothy" has carried me into the next phase of my life, Act III, if you will. I'm planning an extended trip for Spring of next year. I'm still here, I'm still alive, I'm going to "go see."

I've received a lot of condolences; my wife was well-known and well-loved. My answer is usually the same, "Thank you. I was married to the most beautiful woman and the best person I ever met for 30 years. I figure I came out ahead"

Happy Trails & Good Luck,

Dan
michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

That's a sweet post. Right outside my door, my van beckons, and we're just waiting for a little cooler weather, to "go see." Thanks for that!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

DAN!!!

Awesome! Cool Cool Cool

Just read your post to Sandy. We're both freaking out, so happy you've found some things along the way. Heartfelt Congrats. We have, too, at least a little more.

Wonderful post, Thank You. Happy Travels.

— Colin Chapman
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Just read Dans post.

That’s all I have to say about that.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pikes Peak rear bumper Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:

Do they light up when you step on the brake?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

shadetreemech wrote:
Just read the first post in this topic. I'd like to contribute.

I bought my first Vanagon, an '84 GL, in April of 1990, to haul my wife of one year and our blended families. We were expecting a child and wanted room for all. She was my High School sweetheart. We met in '68, I took off to see the world and got lost on the way back. It took me 16 years to get through the Basic Training part of my life and track her down again. We were married happily for 30 years, wrote our own Book of Life. She passed away in August of 2018.

Here's the Vanagon part: Part of my philosophy is based on a quote from Epictetus, a philosopher that lived a couple thousand years ago. He said, "It's not what occurs, it's how you respond that matters". Add to that something someone once told me, "You Eat Life or Life Eat You". With those two thoughts as a guide, I resolved to deal with my wife's death in a constructive manner. I bought an '88 Westy.

We had owned the '84 GL for 28 years. I had maintained and repaired it for decades; I knew what I was getting into. I found the van I was looking for in the Samba Classifieds; 25 miles away and $10K less than what I was prepared to pay. I asked my wife posthumously about buying it. Her answer was, "As long as you name it after me". I had custom stickers made for the rear quarter panels that say "Miss Dorothy". Promise kept.

I bought a National Parks Interagency Lifetime Senior Pass and spent my 67th birthday out at Joshua Tree getting to know the Westy. I took off for Death Valley between Christmas and New Year's, trying out my Little Buddy heater. I met Eric (E1) and his wife out there at Mesquite Springs. They were in their replacement Westy. I realized I had driven past Meteor Crater out on Route 66 a couple dozen times since I was a kid, so my next trip was to Grand Canyon, a day's drive from home. Spent the night and went to Meteor Crater the next day, then on to Winslow. Subsequent trips were to Canyon De Chelly, Chaco Canyon (on Spring Equinox), and Cedar Mesa in Utah. That turned into Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon and Zion. I was still working but able to use up a lot of vacation time. I've since retired. I am still learning.

Here's the point: The Westy became an important part of my do-it-yourself therapy. I spent a lot of windshield time talking to my wife, creating balance between what I wanted and what I had and reviewing the tenets of my own cobbled-together philosophy. I slept in some remote places, spent a lot of time by myself and went to "go see". The Westy gave me the freedom to get away from the familiar and miss it, the opportunity to sit up in front, looking out the windshield and be right here, right now. I've met some good people, many of them driving Westies. "Miss Dorothy" has carried me into the next phase of my life, Act III, if you will. I'm planning an extended trip for Spring of next year. I'm still here, I'm still alive, I'm going to "go see."

I've received a lot of condolences; my wife was well-known and well-loved. My answer is usually the same, "Thank you. I was married to the most beautiful woman and the best person I ever met for 30 years. I figure I came out ahead"

Happy Trails & Good Luck,

Dan

That's a helluva story, Dan. Thanks for sharing it.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Here's to "sitting up front" in life.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for writing that, Dan.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Is it possible I'm not as much of a dead ringer for Fabio as I think I am?

— Colin Chapman
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

Oh, my! I've got to stay tuned to hear what all gets said on that !!

Popcorn
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

I bought a tie.

— Colin Chapman
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Is it possible I'm not as much of a dead ringer for Fabio as I think I am?

That depends. Do you slay geese with your face?

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Vanagon Chitchat Thread Reply with quote

So here's what I did yesterday.

itellya.... dragging a long-dead cedar log out of the woods, and cutting it up into boards is satisfying.

Here in the PNW, a 2X8 costs $11/linear foot at the lumber store, so every 10 foot board coming off that beam would cost $110.

That ONE beam has about 7 of them (--->$770)
How can that possibly be?
Half of a 11 foot log yields $770 in lumber?
It's true. (if I had a buyer)
Well it's pretty satisfying to slide each "$110 board" off.

Got a big pile of boards.
Something like $3000 ?? in "retail value", again, .....if I had a "retail buyer".
And I wouldn't have to store them.
But now I have quality material for my "projects".

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 26

Jump to: