Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

No worries, Bala. Plenty of room- and a good-sized backyard with firepit.

Keep me informed!
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Awesome!
Let us know if you want anything delivered from the ATX area.
My dad and I don't eat meat, but I have no problem transporting it, Elgin has some really good stuff we could bring y'all. We have some really good local beverages as well. Wink

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
Awesome!
Let us know if you want anything delivered from the ATX area.
My dad and I don't eat meat, but I have no problem transporting it, Elgin has some really good stuff we could bring y'all. We have some really good local beverages as well. Wink

You're my kinda folks- neither do I! Next January marks 30 years since I ate anything with a face. Nevertheless it would be wise to make sure the carnivores are well supplied, and by all means grab whatever hooch that isn't tied down.

There are several places in town food and beer can be bought- and of course a swanky hotel and restaurant should anyone choose to avail themselves of same.

if I think of anything crucial to bring along I'll let you know.

Looks like we have the length of the alley and also another backyard for overflow should it come to that. At this point all I need is a hard date for all y'all's arrival and we're gold.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Good stuff!

We will be there December 26th. Hoping to leave Austin around 7AM so I would guess sometime around early/mid afternoon for arrival?

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Primo! Marathon awaits your arrival.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Wow &dan, I'm excited. You're making this sound like a great trip and get together for a bunch of VW folks!
Thanks for your hospitality!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Should be fun- hope the weather is cooperative.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Going to make a short detour on the Shasta Bus.
My prelim idea is to get some off road miles with my single cab. So, the next couple of weeks, I'll be getting my truck ready for our Big Bend Trip.

So far, important supplies have been purchased, and a new fan belt installed.
I'll update the thread on a couple of other additions to my truck soon too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Hey, look at that- a logo and everything!
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Some electrical work with my son the last few days. I wanted a separate fuse block for accessories, and already had a hot wire from the battery into the cab. So, I made up some AL brackets, with the goal of not drilling any new holes in the dash. I'll see how this works, I can't see the switch for the fog light when I'm driving, but I know where it is.

I need some kind of cover for this, just in case.

This light is from an old tractor. I have an LED bulb to install once I get a new O ring seal for the glass.

The holes in this little AL bracket line up with the holes for the speaker holder.

My cup holder fits just right for the phone charger. I used to make and sell the cup holders on the samba.

Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Lookin' good old man! Razz
The fog light and bracket are nice!

1966 Beetle
JimCT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

you might want to gusset the fog light bracket. Aluminum work hardens when it moves and you might find it bounces around a bit on those back roads! looks good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

JimCT wrote:
you might want to gusset the fog light bracket. Aluminum work hardens when it moves and you might find it bounces around a bit on those back roads! looks good!

Good idea, thanks.
I do have a friend that welds AL.

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
A non-welding solution to the window frames is Epoxy-sculpt , its pricey and takes about 3-4 weeks to fully cure. It will not fail if you do the proper surface prep. I have some repairs that are over 15 years old with lots of rough miles. Modern epoxy resins are far superior to older versions and in wide use through-out the automotive industry. Welding is not the only answer to metal work these days. Nice bus BTW

I've shared the concern about minor repairs to the under rubber area of the window frames. Here in the Midwest the window openings seem to rust less than around the seacoast. (Undersides rust badly, however!) But nearly any porosity there will soon make things much worse in only a few years. Still, sometimes welding burns off more (original) paint and sometimes makes distortion, so non welding solutions have their place, especially if you only have small areas with holes.
I have found urethane products, even urethane CONCRETE sealers do an incredible job. They stick like crazy and are flexible. I like the thin bodied flowable ones, put some backer in if possible and use a couple thin coats. Also, one buys this stuff at Home Depot/Lowes/Menards places which are quite competitive (JUST THE OPPOSITE OF 3M OR LORD/FUSOR) and expect to pay $4-5 a tube for it. This is also a good product to use with plywood/ sheet metal screwed in patches which are sometimes my favorite technology for a daily driver.
Any of these products is very well adhered, so a heat gun or propane torch is the most effective way to UNADHERE them.
And, I say it often: ANYTIME YOU USE FIRE ON A VEHICLE, GET MULTIPLE FIRE EXTINGUISHING METHODS AT HAND. For me a spray bottle is number one, but real fire extinguishers within reach or a helper's reach are just good procedure.
It is so sad to hear about someone burning up their old type 2, but even worse if they destroy other vehicles or even the shop and home.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Thanks for the info 69doublecab.
It seems like each person has different abilities and resources to complete a restoration. And different goals for their VW. I'm trying to be open to whatever works for others, and give it a try if possible.

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Rather than tell the Big Bend story in my words, you can take a look here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7937797#7937797

I realized that a single cab was not made for camping, but was great for hauling spare tires and gas cans for others. And it's all I had for now .
I'll soon be back working on the camper, I have a clearer picture of what I want the camper to look like and how to equip it. I know I want to be able to climb a hill on the highway at 60 mph, not 40.

One of my favorite photos by my son:

Yes, I know that folks in Mew Mexico say that if God wanted Texans to ski, he would have given them mountains..........but we saw big piles of rocks that looked close.

Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

What a great trip!

Now, let's get some work done on that '59!!!

1966 Beetle
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:

My cup holder fits just right for the phone charger. I used to make and sell the cup holders on the samba.

Any chance for these to be sold again?
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Quote:

Any chance for these to be sold again?

Perhaps some day. I moved this summer, and I don't have all my woodworking tools set up yet. I'm trying to focus on my camper, so wood projects may start up again in a few months. I made the cup holders in Walnut, Oak and a paint grade that you can paint to match your bus color.
If you search the samba classified adds, you may see the metal ones. Paul at Aircooled Accessories in the UK bought one of mine and used it as a pattern to case the aluminum ones.

Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

If you get a tilt for the back end, the whole camping experience is vastly improved.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 20

Jump to: