Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:
SST 18 is looking like it may be another Oregon start. You have a camp site in my driveway in Clarksburg CA near Sacramento if you need it and there will be a convoy of buses heading north from this area.
]

Thanks Joe Cool for the offer of a camp site. I may take you up on that. I also hope to meet up with a bus or two in New Mexico or Arizona on my way. It's going to be a long ride, but worth it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 bus Reply with quote

Quote:
HUH? There is no hot air going INTO the heater boxes nor INTO the oil cooler. All air is sourced upstream of the engine, just inches from the outer edge of the centrifugal blower. (fan)
Increased flow thru a type 4 cooler might slightly reduce the pressure and flow at the heater hose ducts on the fan housing. If you had a run in stand and a water manometer it would be pretty easy to measure all this, if you are truly serious about knowing. Just put in a tap for the manometer and measure the pressure at a given RPM with each cooler installed.
I'll tell you one thing: I am VERY nervous to take pressurized oil OUTSIDE the motor, AHEAD of the bearings, especially in cold ambient conditions. Your engine needs pressure to the journals ever second it is running.
Al

I think I didn't word what I'm thinking exactly right, you are right, the air to the stock oil cooler is not hot, it's sure warm in the summer. And the air to the heater boxes won't get warmed much either. I do believe there is less air cooling the engine directly, since more of the air is going through the oil cooler. I am wanting more warm air available to heat my bus in the winter time.
You are right about the run in stand. That would be so cool to have and get some real data, but I don't have one, so as I stated, it's my opinion. I do have a manometer, and used it on the Karmann Ghia engine area that I raced for top speed.
Remote oil filters are very common and successful on VW's. My hyd. lines are rated at 3000psi. And I am aware of the chances for leaks, vs. the benefit of a real oil filter. There is usually trade offs. My oil pressure is quick at start up, and is the highest at that time too.

Thanks for your comments. There is much to learn.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Richard Kimbrough (Rustybus) drives out from Phoenix every year. He might be a good contact. We have a big group leaving Sacramento every year. I am pleased to help any way I can.

silkvw wrote:
joe cool wrote:
SST 18 is looking like it may be another Oregon start. You have a camp site in my driveway in Clarksburg CA near Sacramento if you need it and there will be a convoy of buses heading north from this area.
]

Thanks Joe Cool for the offer of a camp site. I may take you up on that. I also hope to meet up with a bus or two in New Mexico or Arizona on my way. It's going to be a long ride, but worth it.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:
Richard Kimbrough (Rustybus) drives out from Phoenix every year. He might be a good contact. We have a big group leaving Sacramento every year. I am pleased to help any way I can.

Thanks Joe. I'll contact Richard as we get closer the Feb., and I'm reasonably sure my bus is ready.
I have over 700 miles on the bus now, but no camping time yet. It's just been too hot to enjoy camping here. But, we are getting close.

dualport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:
we need to make you a set of these.

Great idea. I have had a role of white magnetic vinyl for years and didn't know what to do with it. Greg, let me know if you want to borrow some to cut out.

I read that you had some steering issues. I have a similar issue that I'm tracking down. Let me know if you want to borrow my alignment plates.

I need to figure out why my steering is 'sticky' - its not hard, just when I point it in one direction, it doesn't self-correct. I'm going to check my toe again, but I thought I had it at 1/8". I wonder if my SACO brakes changed the amount of caster. I need to check that. Maybe I install caster shims on a bus?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

dualport wrote:
Longboardluv wrote:
we need to make you a set of these.

Great idea. I have had a role of white magnetic vinyl for years and didn't know what to do with it. Greg, let me know if you want to borrow some to cut out.

I read that you had some steering issues. I have a similar issue that I'm tracking down. Let me know if you want to borrow my alignment plates.

I need to figure out why my steering is 'sticky' - its not hard, just when I point it in one direction, it doesn't self-correct. I'm going to check my toe again, but I thought I had it at 1/8". I wonder if my SACO brakes changed the amount of caster. I need to check that. Maybe I install caster shims on a bus?

Thanks Conrad.
I would like to try some of what you have. I have blocked off the air vents on my single cab on the inside in the winter for years. It helps.
I would like to borrow your alignment plates too. I would like to get it a little better.
Are caster shims available for a bus beam?
Thanks!

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

I finished and installed my cargo door spice rack today. It's mostly 1/2" Baltic Brich. The flip top part is Walnut with some turquoise inlay. The rack is mounted to the door panel with screws from the back side. Feels nice and solid.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There will be a paper towel holder in the space below the box with the flip top.

&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Gorgeous work, Greg, as always.

I have concern that Congress will somehow fail to create a budget- the current one extends to mid-December. This would mean national parks would shut down precisely the time you folks are planning to head out here, and possibly swamp the state park.
My question is, has the group reserved the spot in the state park for 27 December?
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
Gorgeous work, Greg, as always.

I have concern that Congress will somehow fail to create a budget- the current one extends to mid-December. This would mean national parks would shut down precisely the time you folks are planning to head out here, and possibly swamp the state park.
My question is, has the group reserved the spot in the state park for 27 December?

I'll check and see. There is an Aircoolers meeting tonight, so I'll ask around.
Usually, there is not much "pre planning" that is done for our trip. My be a good idea this year.

&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

10-4. Think that's a good idea.
Would really hate to see something dumb like a debt ceiling issue jam a sharp stick into the plan- especially when homemade ravioli is on the menu.
Say howdy-do to all the fellas!
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Garrett is really interested in going, he's going to talk to you about it tonight Greg. Also, Pablo (from San Antonio) said he wants to go. So along with Dan we'll have three more with us. From what I can tell most of the "Primative Roadside Camping sites" at BBNP have a 2 to 3 vehicle limit. And from what I remember of the website there are no reservations. We do need to get together and come up with a basic plan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Yeah, that is the situation for the Nat'l Park but not Big Bend Ranch State Park, yes?
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
Yeah, that is the situation for the Nat'l Park but not Big Bend Ranch State Park, yes?

yes! here's more info..

https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/roadsidecamps.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:

https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/roadsidecamps.htm

Hunh...izzat der Plan? BBNP and not BBRSP this time around?

Fun fact: My next door neighbors Steve and Lori both work down the Nat'l Park, Lori as a range scientist, Steve in heavy equipment maintenance. They tell me it has been busy this year.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
10-4. Think that's a good idea.
Would really hate to see something dumb like a debt ceiling issue jam a sharp stick into the plan- especially when homemade ravioli is on the menu.
Say howdy-do to all the fellas!

I know I, for one, will be at Big Bend as scheduled this year, and I think the rest of the group is committed also. We can work out a place to camp somewhere, perhaps near Study Butte or Terlingua. Or, the Big Bend Brewery parking lot in Alpine?????
The ravioli was awesome!!!

A little more woodworking on the bus. I wanted to cover the top of the bulkhead with something, there was nothing there. I used a small piece of wood to come up with the profile, then bought a piece of Walnut and cut and shaped it. The wood is held in place with 2 screws from below.

Turquoise inlay in a small knot hole.

The long groove in the wood is to hold a cab divider in place.

The front seat back can still fold up like in some of the SO 23 campers. I want to work that out at some time too. It will make a great shelf for storage when camping.

I'm working on a full length shelf with rounded corners to go right below this.

&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Swanky Modes Reply with quote

Looking very swank! Sharp. This Bus has come a long way.

Well, shoot, was looking forward to the State Park, shucks. The Nationable Park I know pretty well, and if there is a road everyone looks forward to breaking Buses on, I know several...
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Another up date on the bus.
I'm trying some curved wood on the bulkhead shelf. I used "bendable plywood". Really needs some veneer to cover it, but this is just a test for camping.

Also, learned what 6 volt bulbs with a 12 volt battery will do to a dome light cover. I was wondering why they seemed so bright, and hot.

I picked up a couple of Coleman lanterns for camping trips. The one on the left is a 1953 model. The other is for parts.

I drove to a VW car show near San Antonio last Sunday. 290 mile round trip. Stopped for gas half way there and noticed gas leaking from the fuel pressure gauge. I like the truck stops for gas, bought a plug there and removed the gauge. No more leak (or fire).
Fun show. A split bus from Austin area won best of show.

I have never has a vehicle with pin striping on it, now I do. I like it, and will add more as time goes by. Great guy at the show did the work.

Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

i like the stripes Smile
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Nice woodworking skills!
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.
I like doing the woodworking. Now I need to practice my welding.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 20

Jump to: