Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Thanks for the questions.
I have the idiot light, it came on, and an oil pressure gauge. The gauge went to zero when the light came on. I did check that their wires were tight at the engine. I'll remove the sender and crank it over to see what happens and report back.
I have had worse problems with my truck, it's still shiny side up.

The bus is almost ready for the Big Bend trip, so I'm not without wheels.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

I removed the sender cranked twice no oil third time a little oil. So I replaced the sender with the one from my bus fired up the engine and no oil pressure on gauge and idiot light still stays on. I was excited for a while but now think it’s internal.
Next step?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Pull oil pump cover off.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Oil pressure is s mechanical thing. If the engine turns the crank turns the cam and the cam turns the oil pump. Un-less it's something like a really bad oil leak somewhere or the engage tab on the oil pump drive shaft has ground off or the gear is spinning on the shaft (gear spinning on the shaft would not cause metal filings so that would be a good thing to find). If you reve a cold vw engine with heavy summer oil like 30 weight some times the gear shaft of the oil pump will sheer. If so it left steel filings in your engine and it would be wise to completely take it apart and blow all the metal filings out of the case and crank and push rod tubes. Probably just get a different oil cooler as a piece of steel could hang up inside it and come out sometime in the engines future. I don't know maybe you run a oil filter then it's ok just clean things up change the oil install a new oil pump run lighter oil and it should be good. (Well if it did not mess up the cam too bad!) No Full Flow filter with steel tab sheer on steel cam = full engine disassembly and clean up.

Let's hope it does not look like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

I see on this thread where you installed a oil filter and perhaps a deep sump if so that deep sump pickup tube might be sucking air above the oil level. Pretty easy to bump it and cause a air leak. Not sure as I have never done a repair to one but probably will require splitting the case?
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Thanks Eric & Barb and Danwvw. I plan to do each thing as I get the time. Right now I'm getting my camper bus ready for our Big Bend trip. Dec.26 to Dec. 30. And, of course family time this time of year.
My sc engine has the oil filter that is attached at the oil pump cover and a 1 1/2 Qt. oil sump. So, the problem may be there.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Could this thing be messed up?

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Could this thing be messed up?

That valve is on my '59 camper bus that I am planing on taking to the Shasta Snow Trip. My daily driver '64 single cab is the one with the loss of oil pressure. I'm sorry I may be making the problem a little confusing, two VW's on one thread. The single cab does not have the valve and remote oil cooler. It does have a type 4 oil cooler and an oil filter on the engine.

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

my vote is for broken oil pump tang
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

So when the oil pump drive sheers off broken tang etc... it is because the engine was reved real high with thick oil. What oil are you running? Winter time oil? At least go to 20 weight if your a straight weight oil guy. But 5W30 or 0w40 would be my choice.

In this 1st photo of a sheered tang this could have resulted from thick oil but also it did not engage enough. It's a missmatched oil pump. The tang should set deep into the cam slot for it.
(In the next two photos it shows cam to oil pump fit being checked during case assembly) If the engine is already assembled and the oil pump fit has not been checked, then very carfull meaurements can be taken 3rd Photo.) (Modling clay may be used to check fit pretty easy.)

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Embarassed The gears of the oil pump are pressed on the shaft- so it is possible for the shaft to dis-engage the pump gear (maybe due to heat, or poor manufacturer) and leave the shaft free to migrate away from the cam.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

I still haven't been able to check out the oil pressure problem. Busy time of year with the family.
We leave tomorrow morning at 7:30 for Big Bend. The bus is ready, as far as I can tell, I'll find out this week.
Just in case:

I'm trying to keep the cab toasty warm for the trip with a temp divider. I used a split bus rear glass for a sliding window. 1/4" plywood.
All but one curtain is up too. Used a blanket from Mexico.

kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

That is a great idea! I've seen a lot of "clever" efforts to reproduce some kind of divider, but that right there... that's the first time I've seen that!
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

...and on the Shasta trip, is the 'sliding' window snugly mounted so it doesn't move one way or the other on side sloped terrain?
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

rennie wrote:
...and on the Shasta trip, is the 'sliding' window snugly mounted so it doesn't move one way or the other on side sloped terrain?

I got back this afternoon from the Big Bend Bus Bash. I'll add a trip report tomorrow, I'm kind of tired.
However, to answer your concern about the glass sliding, it fits tight, so takes some effort to move it, even with talcum powder lube. I did add some weather strip on each side to keep the air from the back out, so right now it doesn't move. We were off road some on our trip this week, and the glass didn't move at all.
I may modify the track so the glass slides only one way. And a rubber stop on the other end.

This was our best camping spot. A mile or two of gravel and rocks to get there in the State Park. Those are the mountains in Mexico in the background.

My bus ran fine, by the way. No problems. 1100 miles round trip.
8 buses at the start.

kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Approve.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

The "Elgin Brick" did a fantasic jobs on it's 1000 plus journey on the #BigBendBusBash III!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Congratulations on the Brick's solid performance. Speaking of performance, by now someone has mentioned the obvious, with a three to five thousand mile trip in front of you, investing in the proper 15" bus wheels and correct diameter tires will increase your mileage, airspeed, engine life, and, because this trip cannot be all about us, the Brick's increased attractive mating potential with chick buses. Properly shod, he'll certainly be able to bag that cute, pudgy, 1967esk chrome adorned little socialite bus back up in the trees just outside of the campfire's glow. Laughing

SPEACIALTY TIRES OF AMERICA "STA" MADE SUPER TRAXIONS

Last edited by kombisutra on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:16 am; edited 2 times in total
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Those tires are hawt! Im gonna have to pick me up a set!

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2017 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Yesterday, I got the oil drain cover plate off the engine. Man it was cold working out there in the carport. The oil pick up tube is still in place and mounted solid. I didn't see any metal shavings or pieces on the cover plate either.
So today my neighbor and wife helped me get the pick up into the heated shop. I got to the point of needing to remove the crank pulley, but don't have a puller for it. Or, a puller for the oil pump, so called my son and a VW friend. No luck, so I'll order the tools asap.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 20

Jump to: