Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapte Reply with quote

Vanistan the best, but put a GlowShift on wife's WRX one year ago and no problems yet. Even the o ring is still good. The one I got from Chris for my Syncro looks a lot like the GlowShift. But I know it's better!
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geodude wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Interesting concept but aren't you simply doubling an already weak joint.

The oil cooler seal is a proven failure point in cold weather.

Is not removing the sender and installing a piped in Tee easier and less prone to leakage?

Dave

If you are keeping the stock cooler I don't see this as adding much or any additional leakage risk over putting in a tee. You also have the ability to put a temp probe in, which you can't with the tee. Most of the tee setups add several threaded connections and a hose or tube that are all potential leakage sources.

Well, I'm not sure that I agree.

A threaded union is far less likely to ever leak as compared to a rubber Oring.
WBX engines are prone to leakage at the stock Oring. So much so that VW redesigned the Oring.
Several members aware of the known oil leakage issue keep on hand and even carry a new Oring and the tools to replace it quickly by removing the threaded rod rather than the oil cooler itself. I am counted in that number.
Few, if any, of us carry a spare threaded oil pressure Tee in case it fails.

Granted, The idiot light senders do leak, but you still have them no matter how you feed the oil pressure gauge sender.

To my way of thinking you've doubled your exposure to catastrophic oil pressure loss at the filter/cooler by having two (2) large oil rings.

We all assume risks we are comfortable with. This one would concern me too much. Based upon that......... I'm out. Wink

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kjono09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

Just bought mine. Looking forward to getting this. I'll post my review for this on a 1.9l block next week.

Submariner
kjono09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

For guages, has anyone bought the one on the Texas vanagons post? Are the accurate? Amazon review is terrible but want someone's first hand experience.

Or are there any other guages that people recommend?

Submariner
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

I used a GloShift gauge for a year or two to monitor the declining oil pressure on my 2.1. I removed it when I installed the Bostig cause it was always above 60 psi and I have no concerns about oil pressure now.

It worked fine and I'd recommend it. I liked having the digital readout in addition to the needle. The VDO gauges are better looking IMHO.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kjono09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

The glowshift kit does not fit the 1.9L WBX due to the exhaust routing. It is about a 1/4" too long. I will grind it down and then it will work, but it is not a bolt on kit.

Also, I don't get why there is not a oil pressure sending unit that is something other than 0-100lbs. Theses sending units are not accurate when you are trying to read oil pressure at the 1.9L oil pressure relief valve sending unit location (2-5lb) alarm. This is not a problem for where the 2.1 reads oil pressure as that location has a much higher pressure overall.

Submariner
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

I use a zero to 80 psi VDO gage. seems to work fine

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

Bumping this thread to see how people have dealt with the oil seal on these. According to this thread and some online reviews the seal seems to be a weak link. Any updates from anyone using this adaptor? Also anyone find a source for a better seal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

I installed it as packaged except that I used brass plugs instead of the aluminum ones. No leaks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiddlestyx wrote:
I had one of these on my other car for over 5 years. Never had a problem with it.

same

i had one on a land rover for years without a single issue.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

Only 3 months use for me, but no troubles yet.

I bought the whole kit from vanagain. I'd consider contacting Ken Wilford there to see if he's had any feedback about leaks, etc.- I think he'd give you an honest report.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

I installed one of these for a customer with a 1.9 and had to use a SAAB oil filter to make it fit.
According to VDO you should not use sealing tape on the sender threads as it will hamper the grounding of the unit which is required for it to work properly. They say that the threads are designed to not leak and no sealant is needed. I ended up using a Hose clamp and a Male open barrel crimp connector to add a grould to the unit so that it would read properly.
The adapter is top quality and it fit well and was an easy install. The ashtray gauge plate is nice, but it takes some work to be able to mount it so it doe snot move.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

remember that anodized aluminum is nonconductive! the Glowshift must be scratched thru to bare metal in order to ground.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
remember that anodized aluminum is nonconductive! the Glowshift must be scratched thru to bare metal in order to ground.

See 4 posts above. One way to ensure a good ground for a sending unit is to use brass plugs instead of the thin aluminum ones in the kit, then drill/tap a hole into the plug so you can secure a ground wire. I did run that ground plug in and out of the hole several times to scratch the anodizing or whatever the black stuff is. No teflon tape, but I did use thread sealer.
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

i had one of these glowshift on my van for 2 years without any leak or issue but then i bought a GoWesty SS exhaust system and the new exhaust made it too tight to remove the oil filter. I then ended up with Rocky Jennings relocate T which worked ok for pressure but no flow for oil temp. Will likely use it again in the new doka with a Perfect Tuning universal gauge this time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:
i had one of these glowshift on my van for 2 years without any leak or issue but then i bought a GoWesty SS exhaust system and the new exhaust made it too tight to remove the oil filter. I then ended up with Rocky Jennings relocate T which worked ok for pressure but no flow for oil temp. Will likely use it again in the new doka with a Perfect Tuning universal gauge this time.

Thats good to know about the exhaust, i need a new exhaust in the next year or two and was thinking SS exhaust. Anyone else with clearance issues?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

Because of the clearance issue I'll probably use the glowshift then mount a mocal oil takeoff and local oil filter mount this will also allow for a larger filter. I read the land rover filter is the same spec but larger capacity. Could mount the glow shift at either spot too, will decide when the time comes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OlRivrRat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

I have been using this Sandwich Plate since Jul2010, about 74000Mi's & it has Not had any Issues. I do ReCheck the Securing Nipple @ Each Filter Change.

http://prosportgauges.com/oil-filter-adaptor-plate.aspx

ORR ~ DeanB
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

Mine fit fine with the GW stainless exhaust on both a 1.9 and 2.1
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

OlRivrRat wrote:
I have been using this Sandwich Plate since Jul2010, about 74000Mi's & it has Not had any Issues. I do ReCheck the Securing Nipple @ Each Filter Change.

http://prosportgauges.com/oil-filter-adaptor-plate.aspx

ORR ~ DeanB

Holy cow! First post after joining 13 years ago. I heart anomalies like that.

I’m looking forward to 2032 for the next installment. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: