Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

Anyone use a GoWesty SS 2.1 exhaust on a 1.9L with the GlowShift adapter?
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

Anyone use the GlowShift Sandwich plate on a Syncro?

I was curious if there is clearance between the oil filter and the filter protection flange that is on the stock Syncro engine protection cradle/bars/??.

If there is clearance, does that flange still provide the same oil filter protection from rocks/debris? My filter of choice is the MANN W719/12 we are all probably familiar with.

Thanks!
Benjamin.

IBNFE
YCBAR!
-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 ¼ million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Anyone use a GoWesty SS 2.1 exhaust on a 1.9L with the GlowShift adapter?

Yes. There's no issue.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

A few months ago the GlowShift adapter was unknown to me.
I now have one and have recommended it to several people as a super easy way to install an oil pressure gauge and oil temperature senders.

I give it a hearty thumbs up!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

the_benjamin_effect wrote:

I was curious if there is clearance between the oil filter and the filter protection flange that is on the stock Syncro engine protection cradle/bars/??.

If there is clearance, does that flange still provide the same oil filter protection from rocks/debris? My filter of choice is the MANN W719/12 we are all probably familiar with.

Thanks!
Benjamin.

IBNFE
YCBAR!

Did you try fitting this yet?
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

michaelasnider wrote:

Thanks!
Benjamin.

IBNFE
YCBAR!

No, not yet.
I'm in some other projects at the time, and this has fallen to the back side currently.

I regularly follow up on my questions on TS when I complete my work/questions if not already answered by another member. <--- I think this is important for the community to follow up.

I'll post when I get there. (dont hold your breath too long though, LOL)

Cheers!
Ben
-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 ¼ million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

michaelasnider wrote:

Thanks!
Benjamin.

IBNFE
YCBAR!

No, not yet.
I'm in some other projects at the time, and this has fallen to the back side currently.

I regularly follow up on my questions on TS when I complete my work/questions if not already answered by another member. <--- I think this is important for the community to follow up.

I'll post when I get there. (dont hold your breath too long though, LOL)

Cheers!
Ben

I got a PM response from Syncronoid who installed one and confirmed no issues on a syncro.
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

As a follow up, I installed a sandwich adaptor and oil temp and pressure gauges on my syncro last weekend. No issue with clearance for the engine protection bars.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

Tried the Glow Shift on top of my stock oil cooler and had leaks and no clearance for oil filter.

I think the leaks are caused by the use of a gasket on my example, instead of an o-ring, being only .040" thick (about 1mm for those still using the metric system). A credit card is about .035" thick. That would probably be no problem on a cast aluminum or iron machined surface, but with the stamped sheet metal surface of the stock oil cooler, it is a hit or miss proposition.
Going to try an O ring instead of the funky gasket that came with my adapter.

As for the clearance issue, I think my van has an aftermarket stainless steel exhaust which leaves no room for the oil filter. I was able to machine about .35" off the adapter, some off the hex nut and some off the threaded pipe that the oil filter screws onto, and now I can just get the filter on and off without using any French.

Last edited by Vana Guy on Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:07 am; edited 3 times in total
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapte Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Here's a mock up of my planned gauge install. It is to scale. Oil pressure and oil temp to the left, battery voltage to the right utilizing Prosport's 52mm EVO Green/White gauges. I thought the Green/White would blend in well with the greenish lights on the diff panel.

http://prosportgauges.com/evo-electrical-Digital-Green-White-Oil-Pressure-gauge-.aspx

While attractive, I think you will find ventilation ducts behind the panel will not accommodate this placement of your gauges.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

A couple points about pressure and temperature at the sandwich. The oil pressure will read much higher at the sandwich (before oil filter) than the pressure at the main galley sender location on the drivers side of the block (after oil filter) but should be about the same at the sender near the water pump. The temperature at the sandwich (right after oil cooler) will read different than either the main galley (after cooler and into engine) or the sender location near the water pump (before oil cooler).
These locations should be specified whenever oil pressure or temperature readings are offered.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapte Reply with quote

Red Ryder, Here's my build thread, you can read about the minor trimming I had to do which resulted in no real impact to air flow. I wanted it clean, with no extraneous gauges on top of the dash, so that's why I went this route.https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=642686

Turned out nice I think....

Red Ryder wrote:
Syncronoid wrote:
Here's a mock up of my planned gauge install. It is to scale. Oil pressure and oil temp to the left, battery voltage to the right utilizing Prosport's 52mm EVO Green/White gauges. I thought the Green/White would blend in well with the greenish lights on the diff panel.

http://prosportgauges.com/evo-electrical-Digital-Green-White-Oil-Pressure-gauge-.aspx

While attractive, I think you will find ventilation ducts behind the panel will not accommodate this placement of your gauges.

Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter? Reply with quote

Got some O-rings from Amazon that seem to work well. The size I got fit into the inner grove of the adapter plate.
Outer diameter 65mm
Inner diameter 59mm
cross section diameter 3.1mm

Nitrile rubber
10 pack $7.99
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: