Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1800 Top End, Deck & C/R
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

i am doing a top end on an ED 1800 T4 using the (formerly FI) 022101371H original heads and AA 93mm P&C kit.

the heads have a .090" step
the chamber CCs--step included--are 56cc
the dished AA pistons are 9cc and deck @ the cylinders is .005"

assembled as it sits, i would have a compression ratio of 7.8:1.
too much

if i add .030" shims under the cylinders i hit the target of 7.3:1, but now i have a total deck height of .125".
not so good from an efficiency stand point.

i will NOT be splitting the case
i will NOT be going gun-ho on porting the chambers to add CCs
i COULD enlarge the piston dish, but don't think that 5cc is attainable.
split the diff: 2.5cc in the heads & 2.5cc in the dish
even if i do some custom work to gain some CCs and lose some of deck, the heads still have the .090" step and this is seeming like a LOT of work for naught.

should i just assemble it with the monster deck-height, seeing as this is how VW did it?
i don't really see too many options here...
maybe the more learned than i can offer some advice.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

What's wrong with "old school" pre-technical bulletin head gaskets?
I had a 1800 with stock pistons & heads, kept the gaskets because
I don't care for slobber from the cylinder/head junction.
It was the nicest, fastest (90-91mph) stock type 4 engine I ever enjoyed operating.
And no, the head gaskets never "blew". Blow-by and piston slap took
it off the road.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
What's wrong with "old school" pre-technical bulletin head gaskets?
I had a 1800 with stock pistons & heads, kept the gaskets because
I don't care for slobber from the cylinder/head junction.
It was the nicest, fastest (90-91mph) stock type 4 engine I ever enjoyed operating.
And no, the head gaskets never "blew". Blow-by and piston slap took
it off the road.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

To expand on what Tcash "showed" you......the head gaskets were a fairly defective design. Since they are multi-ply......essentially large crush washers.....they flatten under head pressure at max expansion rate....and do not expand and contract to prevent leakage when cold.

That fuel and oil forms carbon that props the gasket up. Eventually they create a leak that literally burns through the head gasket area like a cutting torch......permanently ruining the head...and no...welding will not fix a burn through area. It changes the metal.

This is common. Its also why many old school mechanics. ....jncluding dealers (but never the Bentley).....recommended head gasket changes along with general valve service at 50k miles. This was well known on type 4 cars long before the bus ever got the type 4 engine.

The later way is actually better. Delete the head gasket.....shim the cylinder base to get proper deck.....and lap the cylinder to the head with valve frinding paste.

The lapping in is key...it prevents leakage. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

My 1800cc "shim/headgasket" heads, after 90,000. miles
No blown out aluminum.
Gaskets are intact too, but I don't want to bore you people.
The torque/de-torque sequence takes 24 minutes or so at assembly.
Some people consider it tedious/ridiculous, but there are some people
who would rather lap barrels & heads than run headgaskets, personal choice,
I suppose.
The headgaskets/shims are still available....
Someone is using them.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

OK, so the question wasn't particularly gaskets Vs: commando, it was more in regards to that rediculous step and the resulting loose deck. Was it some magic trick employed by VW to compensate for all the smog gear that those engines were saddled with?, or does it play a bigger part in something I'm missing?, or would it be better to tighten it up with shims at the base?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

Add head gaskets to a head that has a step designed into it and you will have a really loose deck. My old 1800 made it over 250K miles with head gaskets, but they were on the verge of squishing out when the engine was torn down.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

the question is: is this engine meant to run .125" deck height?
and if so, why?
being that it would take a TON of custom work to eliminate the step--that's the way it will go together today.
without head gaskets, BTW.

if it explodes halfway home to CA, I'll let you guys know and you can offer your conjectures as to why.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:

My 1800cc "shim/headgasket" heads, after 90,000. miles
No blown out aluminum.
Gaskets are intact too, but I don't want to bore you people.
The torque/de-torque sequence takes 24 minutes or so at assembly.
Some people consider it tedious/ridiculous, but there are some people
who would rather lap barrels & heads than run headgaskets, personal choice,
I suppose.
The headgaskets/shims are still available....
Someone is using them.

Big deal....one engine with no issues. When zillio s have had the issue...retorque or not. Retorque does not fix the original problem i noted above. The gasket flattens and has no SPRING ability to reexpand to match the asymmetrical expansion rates of the cast iron cylinder versus the aluminum head......a problem watercooled cars rarely have....and most use a carbon elsatomer ring around cylinders and waterjacket ports....which has spring expansion abilities.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

To the original question.....the part I dont think anyone answered....nd I dont have enough bus experience to address.....is whether he will be fine with 7.8:1 compression or will it be critical that he gets it back down to 7.3:1.

My issue that I can see is that a large deck can run hot even when compression is good. A large deck with lower compression (whether its correct compression or not)....is a recipe for hot running.

The step is not the whole problem here (please correct me if you see that I am wrong)....but is the piston dish a little smaller than normal on the AA 1.8L pistons? Just from dim memory I thought the original KS or Mahle were about 12-13cc.

In my estimation 7.8:1 should present few tuning issues and may actually be an improvement in power and efficiency.....but those with experience with 7.8:1 in a bus should chime in.

I say this because the difference in weight and gearing...the 1.8 with L-jet and 7.8:1 in a 412 and 914 was a miserable inefficent hot runner. The 7.3:1 version of the 1.7L was even worse in these cars.

However.... In the bus...with different gearing, torque band etc.....its the correct range to be in. Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

My old 1800 with Kolbenschidt dished piston, stock heads, sealing rings, and gaskets ran awfully good, very resistant to knocking and gave good power and gas mileage. Did have a slight cam upgrade. Didn't check the deck height when I took it apart, but wish I had. Should have been stock though, same for head volume.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

According to this article, in the absence of the head gasket. VW recommended installing a 1.6 mm (.063") barrel gasket. This would affectivley reduce the compression ratio to "(approximately 7.3:1 to 7.0:1)".
So the .030" you are installing will not be a problem.

Thanks to mayor ratwell
Head Gaskets

Good luck
Tcash

You do not mention if you are running carbs or FI?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
According to this article, in the absence of the head gasket. VW recommended installing a 1.6 mm (.063") barrel gasket. This would affectivley reduce the compression ratio to "(approximately 7.3:1 to 7.0:1)".

Thanks to mayor ratwell
Head Gaskets

Good luck
Tcash

The 1.6mm shim was meant to be used on a stock VW head that does not have the raised step, add that to a head that apparently has a very tall .090" step and you are going to be way way off from the original design parameters.

Something just sounds wrong with his build specs. I just did head work and rings on the 1800 412 engine I now have in my Bay. I used only the .007" shim between the jugs and the block and left out the head gasket. This gave me an ~ .040" squish, the engine runs cool and doesn't knock.
mnskmobi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Thanks to mayor ratwell
Head Gaskets

Good luck
Tcash

The 1.6mm shim was meant to be used on a stock VW head that does not have the raised step, add that to a head that apparently has a very tall .090" step and you are going to be way way off from the original design parameters.

Something just sounds wrong with his build specs. I just did head work and rings on the 1800 412 engine I now have in my Bay. I used only the .007" shim between the jugs and the block and left out the head gasket. This gave me an ~ .040" squish, the engine runs cool and doesn't knock.

I agree about the build specs being odd. I put the figures into a compression ratio calculator and got 6.8:1. Eliminating the .030" shims makes it 7.2:1 (deck ht 0.095")

Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

At 7.8 to 1 CR he will be fine. The numbers seem off to me especially with a DH of .125". Get it down to .040-.065"!
Remeasure everything, check everything....
6.8 to 1 and it will be a dog plus with a deck ht of .0125 run hot as that will ruin the efficiency.

I am running a 7.8 to 1 CR with 94mm 914 pistons (small 10cc dish) and 1800 AMC heads and it runs fine.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Thanks to mayor ratwell
Head Gaskets

Good luck
Tcash

1.6mm shim minus .80mm gasket without crush still leaves = .80mm that vw is shimming the barrel.

The number that sticks out to me is the .005" deck height. That is tight, just over a human hair.

Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

mnskmobi wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Thanks to mayor ratwell
Head Gaskets

Good luck
Tcash

I agree about the build specs being odd. I put the figures into a compression ratio calculator and got 6.8:1. Eliminating the .030" shims makes it 7.2:1 (deck ht 0.095")

Plug these numbers in
Bore ---=93mm
Stroke -=66mm
Deck ---=.005"
Combustion chamber cc 56cc + 9cc AA dish =65cc

Tcash
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

hello Gents Smile

Tcash has the numbers really right--not illustrated in the above calc because piston dish is not added in.

effective CCs are 65:
56cc chambers--including the .090" step--and 9-10cc piston dish.
022101371H cylinder heads; AA 93mm T4 kit.
.005" cylinder deck installed with no spacers anywhere which equates to 7.8:1 compression ratio.
i will need to add at least .030" additional deck to lower the compression ratio to The Bentley spec of 7.3:1........

according to the provided link, VW specified a .063" cyl shim for a total deck height of over .180"!!!!
WTF, mates Laughing

the bus and engine came to me "running" a seized exh valve & PRO carb after recent "top end work" in the LA area.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

Sorry about the photos & 'deviation" from topic,
my post was aimed at headgaskets as a means to get below 7.8/1,
as wildthings stated, the KS dished piston 1800cc set up is one place
where these units held up, I don't believe the VW head shims alone will get you any where near 7.3 to 1, but a lot of VW operators want to run
more than 87 octane fuel, so headgaskets are one way to do it,
and no, not every type 4 engine melts when they (headgaskets) are
installed. consider my images mere documentation,just like any image(s)
posted hereabouts.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1800 Top End, Deck & C/R Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
hello Gents Smile

according to the provided link, VW specified a .063" cyl shim for a total deck height of over .180"!!!!
WTF, mates Laughing

As wildthings posted the 1.6mm (.063") is without the .080" head gasket or the step in the head. Make sure you did not factor these into your calculation.

Your math seems right. If you are worried about it. You may want to throw a starter on it and do a compression check. To see if the compression is within specs, before putting the motor in. You can expect the compression to be on the lower side without the rings being seated.

Good luck
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: