Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emergency Flasher Stopped Working
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Emergency Flasher Stopped Working Reply with quote

67 Bus with stock setup. My emergency flasher stopped working recently and I'm trying to figure out the cause. Left and right flashers still work fine both front and back. I have power on the -S terminal of the emergency flasher switch and the K terminal is correctly hooked up to the blue wire going to the turn signal switch.

Initially I thought I had a bad switch but trying another switch did not fix it. On both switches, if I pull it out half way and wiggle it a bit I can hear a single click like its starting to flash but then stops. Could my 9 pin relay be bad even if the turn signals are still working correctly? I did clean the surface where the switch mounts to the dash to be sure there was a good ground.

Thanks for any help.
OldVolks67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Flasher Stopped Working Reply with quote

When I replaced my wire harness in my bus i had an original 9 pin to use. I had the same problem so I too tried two different flasher switches,neither had worked.
I bought a new 9pin from WW and low and behold that was the culprit.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency Flasher Stopped Working Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Could my 9 pin relay be bad even if the turn signals are still working correctly?

You can Dremel the hollow rivet off and open the 9-pin. Once open you can clean the contacts and usually get it to give you a few more years of service. It will still screw back onto the mount after that.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency Flasher Stopped Working Reply with quote

Unfortunately my bus was modified by the PO with this setup:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks like they used two of these instead of a 9 pin:

http://www.wehrle-electronics.com/en/trade/flasher...spx?LNG=en

Maybe these will work as a replacement:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111953227D

I'm guessing this was a solution somebody offered before WW had their 9 pin setup? Either that or they didn't want to pay $64 for the 9 pin replacment:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211953227BWW

So... I'm going to order one of the $10 relays and replace it to see if that resolves the issue. Is their any benefit to going to the 9 pin relay WW offers vs. my current setup (albeit not as clean looking)? Everything has always worked very well up to my emergency flashers that stopped working.

Thanks
turbo_g
Father of Samba Cookie Lover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Flasher Stopped Working Reply with quote

Hey Todd, don't mean to hack into your thread and hijack it, so I'll give you my two cents worth before I hijack.

I like the idea of the 9-pin, clean, correct. I tried like the dickens to get the 9-pin i had on my 66 to work, but ended up having someone bread board me the equivalent (down in San Diego many many moons ago). If WW had one back then, I would have been in heaven. The breadboarded hack that I had looked much like what you have with the two relays, I guess I'm not the best electrical engineer, cause I never did get full understanding of how the two relays worked together.

On to the Hijack:

Has anyone tried to fit a 9-Pin into an earlier bus? Say a 63? Currently I have blinkers, and emergency flashers, but no dash lights that illuminate when blinking or flashing. I have tried every combination of relays and used the correct wiring to try and make them work, but again, must not be the best electrical engineer.

Would it be worth it to try? Anyone done it? Have the schematic?
SV2s Member #425
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Flasher Stopped Working Reply with quote

Damn you Greg! Smile

No worries, I'm still trying to evaluate my options and figure out how the two relays work together as well. The fact that I still have turn signal flashers working correctly seems to prove the relay is working. It really looks like a grounding issue but I double checked the switch and cleaned up all connections but still have the issue.

Electrical is not my strong suit either so its a learning experience for me every time.
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Flasher Stopped Working Reply with quote

turbo_g wrote:

On to the Hijack:

Has anyone tried to fit a 9-Pin into an earlier bus? Say a 63? Currently I have blinkers, and emergency flashers, but no dash lights that illuminate when blinking or flashing. I have tried every combination of relays and used the correct wiring to try and make them work, but again, must not be the best electrical engineer.

If I read your post correctly, you don't have the 9-pin but something like the OP. If that's the case, and you don't install a 9-pin, you can rig up a connection to make your dash light blink.

Look at the photo below and you will see the turn signal light at the bottom. The bulb gets power from the outside spade terminal via the black wire from the ignition switch. The bulb gets a ground, and lights up, when the flasher unit sends a flashing ground signal to the spade terminal in the center of the bulb holder.

It appears your makeshift set up does not have a relay that would have a blinking ground terminal when the flasher is working so nothing would be connected to the dash bulb. If a wire is connected, it is probably sending power to the bulb but nothing happens because the bulb has no ground--only two power connections.

Disconnect the daisy-chained wire from the ignition (the black one that connects all the dash bulbs together), from the outside terminal of the turn signal bulb. Be sure to tape off the end because it will be constantly hot. Now, run a wire from any terminal on the relays, that sends a flashing power signal when the flasher is on, to the disconnected terminal of the dash light (I don't have a schematic of your set up, but you must find a terminal that flashes under all conditions--left,right, or emergency. ) Run a simple ground wire from the center terminal to any permanent ground. Now, when the flasher is on, the bulb will blink in unison with the other bulbs be they the left or right turn lights or all four together.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency Flasher Stopped Working Reply with quote

turbo_g wrote:

Try the flasher unit from a 69-71 bay. I have one in my 59 and it works correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Flasher Stopped Working Reply with quote

Just to bring this full circle, replacing my custom relay setup with a WW 9 pin unit fixed all my issues and is working great:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: