Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

Sorry to start a new tire thread...

Been searching older threads but info seems out of date. It doesn't seem like Nokian is making studed snow tires in a stock size, for example.

What are the best currently available true winter tires, studded or stud less that are appropriate for a stock wheel full Westy?

Supposedly, El Niño is on its way.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

vegpedlr wrote:
Sorry to start a new tire thread...

Been searching older threads but info seems out of date. It doesn't seem like Nokian is making studed snow tires in a stock size, for example.

What are the best currently available true winter tires, studded or stud less that are appropriate for a stock wheel full Westy?

Supposedly, El Niño is on its way.

I am having General Grabbers installed tomorrow. Not having the studs put in though.
Not sure if anything else is available any more. Even the BFG AT KOs are no longer available.

Slim pickings
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

185R14 Studded
I've bought tires from these guys twice and the service has been solid. It sucks having to go spend $60-80 to have them mounted but if thats what it takes to get good tires, thats what it takes.
https://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-8968-nokian-hakkapeliitta-c-van-tires-studded.aspx
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

Cooper Discoverer M&S (it is a true winter tire, not sure if it is studdable but don't do that anyway). They come in 225/70-14 and there are other snow tires in that size too. They are readily available, or on line.
http://www.tires-easy.com/winter/cooper-discoverer-m+s/225-70-R14/tirecode/COOP0521422570S
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

Cooper Weather Master S/T2. Studdable and appropriately aggressive for winter specific use. I've had them only through one weak winter on my 2WD Vanagon, but like you guys I go out and play in the snow whenever possible. Did Glacier National Park in February. Never stuck. Available in several sizes in 14" and mine are 95 load rated or so - which is above the GVWR max of my Vanagon.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

Doesn't Bus Depot carry some Hankook snow tires?
professorplumb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

I'm using the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s (directional, non-studded) and they are fantastic. They wear quickly on asphalt though so you need a separate set for the summer. Also if you have a non-decoupler Syncro you need six (or to reverse one every time you rotate Sad).

I don't think Van Cafe is selling these anymore unfortunately.
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

professorplumb wrote:
I'm using the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s (directional, non-studded) and they are fantastic. They wear quickly on asphalt though so you need a separate set for the summer.

I don't think Van Cafe is selling these anymore unfortunately.

I have recently outfitted both of my Volvos with Nokians (but not Hakkas), which my local WheelWorks was able to source with very little fuss or drama. It's not a common item for them, but they seemed to know enough about Nokians to order them quickly. Give them a try.
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Cooper Weather Master S/T2. Studdable and appropriately aggressive for winter specific use. I've had them only through one weak winter on my 2WD Vanagon, but like you guys I go out and play in the snow whenever possible. Did Glacier National Park in February. Never stuck. Available in several sizes in 14" and mine are 95 load rated or so - which is above the GVWR max of my Vanagon.

Thanks for the help guys.

The Nokians look good, but hard to find and expensive.

I found those Cooper Weather Masters in a 205/75/14 not far away for half the price of the Nokians. Will that be a good fit on stock VW alloys? The weight rating is cutting it close, but based on what other folks run, I feel OK.

Doug, did you run studs or not? If not, how was the handling?

Thanks again.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

Yes - studs. I used to develop vehicles, and am picky about tires and handling and am very pleased. Much of the driving was at higher speeds where an issue in handling would be evident, too. I wanted something with more lateral edges and a slightly more open tread to handle deeper snow, and I think I chose a good one. Coopers are popular here for winter tires.

The size you mention is an increase in diameter over stock, though. So consider the loss in power.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Yes - studs. I used to develop vehicles, and am picky about tires and handling and am very pleased. Much of the driving was at higher speeds where an issue in handling would be evident, too. I wanted something with more lateral edges and a slightly more open tread to handle deeper snow, and I think I chose a good one. Coopers are popular here for winter tires.

Thanks. I asked because there is a difference between studs and studless. This being CA, I prefer studless, and I've been impressed with studless tires on the Subies.

Quote:
The size you mention is an increase in diameter over stock, though. So consider the loss in power.

On a WBX? Would I notice? In any case, in winter conditions, lack of power doesn't matter as much. Keeping it pointed in the right direction is more important.
oldschool84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

I had posted this before - just bought them this past summer so they should be available - I think I got them from tires by web but not certain. What I noted about underpowered due to increased diameter is definitely real. I have not driven it yet in snow, but the tires are supposed to be designed for that and I can manage driving most roads fine - getting stuck someplace in a backcountry parking area is more the likely issue and we'll see how that happens. Due to salt here I plan to use my van occasionally in the winter and wash the crap out it after each trip. It's not a daily driver for me so one set of tires seemed to make sense. Anyway, this is what I wrote before on another thread.

Dan here in Syracuse helped direct me to some all season tires that are Vredstein Comtracks. I decided to get 195 14Cs instead of 185s to have a little more rubber.

Generally I like them - the ride seems a little smoother in town around rough streets and they might have more stability on the highway but I'm not sure about that - still get blown around a good bit. I was driving this morning on a 5 mile back dirt road that was really rough in some spots. The tires worked great and rode over a lot of rough stuff. All this said, the van feels considerably less powered than it had been with the stock style Hankook 185s. I don't love that trade off, but all seasons are going to be key for driving in rougher weather or back roads.

The only other slight disadvantage to these tires is that because they're directional you can just rotate the tires front to back before remounting them to rotate.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

I use the tirerack site to see how big a particuilar size tire is.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Winterforce or a size comparision chart like this:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=225-70r14-215-70r14

185R14 is 2% % bigger diameter (RPMs) than 205/70
205/75 is 3 % bigger diameter (RPMs) than 205/70
225/70 is 4 % bigger diameter (RPMs) than 205/70
215/70 is 2 % bigger diameter (RPMs) than 205/70

So they are all pretty close but the 215/70 is the closest.

The 225/70 is bigger and supposed to go on a 6" wide rim, but it works and fits fine on steel wheels. Personally I would go for it just because of the higher load rating. That Cooper Discoverer M&S I mentioned is rated 99 and designed for light trucks.

But if you do go with a Weather Master the 215/70 is a better size match and carries a 96 load rating vs 95 for the size you mentioned which is as low as I would go.
JCTahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

I run the studded Hakkas in the winter (here is Tahoe as well) and they are fantastic!

VW's from my past:
72 Bay
79 Campmobile
81 Vanagon
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

JCTahoe wrote:
I run the studded Hakkas in the winter (here is Tahoe as well) and they are fantastic!

Where did you get them? What size are you running?

Any difference in fit between steel wheels and alloy?
JCTahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

I bought them from a lady in Tahoe City on stock steelies.
They are 14s - can't remember the rest of the numbers. I will PM you when I pull them out of storage with the exact size.

VW's from my past:
72 Bay
79 Campmobile
81 Vanagon
big swifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with studded Hakka'$. Another great option which I have been running winters now on 5 of my vehicles are the General Altimax Arctic. I stud mine. They are considerably less expensive than the Nokian$. It is my opinion that they have performed equally as impressive as the Hakka$ which I ran since the mid to late '80's. Treadwear has been phenomenal. We get nasty conditions here in Northern VT. I run mine Halloween to tax day. This will be the 6th and/or 7th winter on some of the sets and they still have plenty of tread left. Friends here love their Cooper Weather masters (less expensive) but treadwear has been worse.

Use the Google for reviews of the Altimax.
[1991 Jetta coupe TD. Giles Superpump. Custom tall 5 speed. SOLD
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

I'm sure van-cafe could answer this but looking at their website, it seems they don't offer the
hakkapeliita c van studdable 14" anymore?
It seems Nokian shows them as discontinued.

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-c-van/

mine

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

So far this season VC isn't offering full winter Nokians.

My perusal of Nokian's website doesn't show any 14" tires that meet Vanagon specs.

Am I missing something?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: REAL Snow Tires for Stock Wheels Reply with quote

My experience has shown that what is in the inventory of the large distributors may be a bit different than what is listed on the manufacturers website.

Here in the East, I have been able to find many more in stock than the West coasters.
BFGs, found'em easily when some were saying they were discontinued.
Nokians, same thing.

Vanagon vendors aren't holding large stock.
You need to get to the distributor level to find unique sizes.

I have the Nokians in 14" and 15", studded....fantastic tyres.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: