Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

So I just had to go through a rather painful ($) heater core replacement in one of our Eurovans. No fun. The problem, it seems, isn't that the heater core really was bad -- it still functioned on almost all levels and all moving parts are fine -- but that the foam covering the flaps had deteriorated to the point that it was useless as cold air made it's way through the giant holes in the flaps and mixed with the hot air -- producing lukewarm air at best.

See the photos below if you've never seen the inside of one of the cores:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

yeah, WTF were they thinking?

Anyway, I'm convinced that if the foam is the only issue then this part should be EASILY refurbished... right? My friend Joe at Wright's German Motors here in town told me that i'm nuts and that recovering the flaps will just lead to the same trouble down the line -- but how is that any different from a replacement piece from VW that will eventually do the same thing?

so, yeah, any thoughts/ideas on this would be great -- materials to use, etc... I'm thinking I'll just search out a similar foam and use a high-temp adhesive to re-apply while making sure the flaps still open and close as expected.

the end result would be that I have a heater core refurbed and ready to go the next time one of my vans blows the foam and won't heat and that as soon as that bad one is out I can refurb and have another in waiting...

am i nuts?
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

I should note that I have seen other people using high-temp duct tape:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6029955-Eurovan-Heater-Core

not sure if that's wise though, duct tape never seems to last very long at high temps and I'd rather not have to go back into the dash every few years to re-apply... or maybe i'm not aware of some form of superior duct tape?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
I should note that I have seen other people using high-temp duct tape:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6029955-Eurovan-Heater-Core

not sure if that's wise though, duct tape never seems to last very long at high temps and I'd rather not have to go back into the dash every few years to re-apply... or maybe i'm not aware of some form of superior duct tape?

Yes, do not use the foam again. Get the "real" duct tape. The stuff that's aluminum, or similar, and has a paper backing that needs to be peeled off before application. This stuff is meant for high temps. I would tape both sides of that flap.
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

HVAC tape < the way to go. I believe that's the technical name for the paper backed foil tape. Works great on dryer vents too Wink

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

How many hours is it to get The core out of an EV?
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

Did you renew the heat exchanger while you were in there?

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

7 hrs. Sad

I'd do it myself if it wasn't one of my rentals (liability and all that)

markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

Oh man... 7hrs Crying or Very sad I need to do this as well. I need to replace a squealing HVAC fan motor and I have the same issue of cool air blending when it shouldn't so I cant get hot air up front while the rear vent is blazing.

Do you have any pictures of the new HVAC box which shows a new blend door with the correct foam for sealing? I don't understand what I'm seeing here, all the holes and where the foam seal(s) should be.

This is all assuming my 1993 is similar to the 2000?
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

The foam was like a sleeve that covered the metal flaps.

I second the foil HVAC tape. That is what I used.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
7 hrs. Sad

I'd do it myself if it wasn't one of my rentals (liability and all that)

Nasty. If it makes you feel better my Volvo P80 was 10 hours - but at least I got to fix both the AC evap core and the heater core in one swoop.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:
Oh man... 7hrs Crying or Very sad I need to do this as well. I need to replace a squealing HVAC fan motor and I have the same issue of cool air blending when it shouldn't so I cant get hot air up front while the rear vent is blazing.

Do you have any pictures of the new HVAC box which shows a new blend door with the correct foam for sealing? I don't understand what I'm seeing here, all the holes and where the foam seal(s) should be.

I don't have any photos myself of the new one -- but imagine all of those holes and shiny metal covered in a foam pad.

I talked with a friend who does a lot of EVCs here and he said metal HVAC tape all the way. Says he's been using the same roll for years now and has done dozens (he laughed at me for not calling him first). So, basically, you use the tape to cover the giant holes in the flaps and your boxis as good as new. well, better, as the tape won't blow apart like foam.

From what I understand the 93-95 campers are very similar, though I have yet to run into this issue on one of our 95s.

DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:

I don't have any photos myself of the new one -- but imagine all of those holes and shiny metal covered in a foam pad.

I talked with a friend who does a lot of EVCs here and he said metal HVAC tape all the way. Says he's been using the same roll for years now and has done dozens (he laughed at me for not calling him first). So, basically, you use the tape to cover the giant holes in the flaps and your boxis as good as new. well, better, as the tape won't blow apart like foam.

From what I understand the 93-95 campers are very similar, though I have yet to run into this issue on one of our 95s.

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

Bumping this thread for Brian
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

My heater core just blew, so I will be in there very soon. I did the foil HVAC tape flap repair back when I replaced the heater core the first time so I am curious to see how it has held up.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

Whoa, you've gone through two heater cores?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

Yes OG went out 6 or 8 years ago, aftermarket replacement gave up this past Saturday.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

That really sucks. At least it's easy to bypass the core. We drove around with it like that for nearly six months. But, it's still like driving with the Sword of Damocles hanging over your head.

y u rune klassik?
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

Yeah it is a bummer, but what are you going to do? It is cold here now so I sort of have to get on it. Maybe this weekend. It never goes out in the summer haha. Of course my son borrowed the van and was about 1.5 hours away and called and said "a bunch of steam came out of the vents and now the carpet in the front is all wet"....

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

Ugh, ours blew when my wife was five hours away. I had to walk her through the bypass process via text. Luckily I had anticipated that issue and keep a coupler in the van at all times.

y u rune klassik?
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

Good thinking!

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: