Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

On a 99, here is how to gain access to the bolts that hold the passenger airbag in place.

You have to take out the center vents and the passenger side vent and then you can see them. This stumped me for a little bit the first time around.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The place that I ordered my replacement heater core from sent me the wrong part, and I did not realize it until I was ready to drop it in... so I am in holding pattern on the core replacement on my van...

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

On one side there are the 3 large holes and the other there are the 6 smaller holes with the additional 4 even smaller holes. From my reading it looks like you can gain access to the 3 hole portion from reach under the dash after removing the center console. The other side will require cutting of the box to access.

My question is what do these 2 different flaps control. If I just patch up the 3 large holes which mix door am I fixing.

I have been getting the foam blowing out the vents issue and last summer when it was 110 degree outside the van could only achieve about 88 degrees inside. I plan on some desert travels this summer and would like my AC to perform better.

Another question is: when I have the AC on and idling, the engine RPMs is not smooth. It cycles up and down and is pretty rough. I know that when the AC is on and the compressor is running it is an additional load on the engine. There is a device that will generally increase the RPMs to compensate. Is this system not working on my van. What do I need to replace to fix?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

soissisc wrote:
Yeah it is a bummer, but what are you going to do? It is cold here now so I sort of have to get on it. Maybe this weekend. It never goes out in the summer haha. Of course my son borrowed the van and was about 1.5 hours away and called and said "a bunch of steam came out of the vents and now the carpet in the front is all wet"....

I guess I just won that contest!(?)

Driving home from the lake yesterday afternoon, I started to notice little puffs of vapor coming from the center vents. I couldn't decide if I smelled coolant or not, but thought I caught a whiff on occasion.

Luckily it wasn't far and we made it fine.

Hooked up my pressure tester this afternoon and it would hardly even pump up. And after a minute or two, I noticed coolant was pouring out of the HVAC drain.

So I've got it bypassed for now, waiting until either it is a little cooler or I have some more time (working equivalent of two full jobs for two more weeks).

I did a half-ass job of sealing some of the blend holes over the winter (by reaching in blindly through one of the duct holes), so I guess that means I now have "inspiration" to fix that correctly.

Question though!

Is it possible to maybe run a little water in and through the box somehow to rinse the coolant residue that is in there, out? But without making a giant mess. Perhaps pouring some in slowly via the fresh air intake?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

The fan is downstream from the intake, I don't think I would pour anything there. If I remember correctly, where the coolant collects is a lowest point, as in it would not rinse out.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

Yeah, I popped the filter off yesterday and had a look-seemed like a no-go.

Though later after deciding to rinse the coolant that had spilled when I bypassed the core (it is nicely easy to do!) I also decided to flush the coolant out of the core. At the time, I was thinking I was just keeping any from splashing out, but later I figured that it 1) would keep that remaining coolant from leaking into the box and 2) may dribble the water and help clean up the inside of the box a little.

I can smell it a bit from outside after driving so I should probably check that my bypass pipe isn't leaking a little, but so far no smells inside. Should probably pop the center vents out and wash them up a little as there is some visible residue.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TFB777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '00 Eurovan Heater Core refurb possible? Reply with quote

I wound up using High temp foam from McMaster-Carr part #1059N368 as recommended by David at 1705.net. He recommend 3 sheets of 12x12 foam but I was able to do the entire job with just two sheets. If anyone is interested, I have an uncut 12x12 sheet which I will sell for $10 + Shipping (should save you about 1/2). Message me if interested.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: