Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brakes anomoly or normal?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Brakes anomoly or normal? Reply with quote

I have been working on my rear brakes on the 73 Bus and after replacing a drum and cylinder(I pretty much opened up the brake system) I still have brake pedal and stopping power.. once I removed the cylinder I left the line open and pressed on my brakes several times and naturally I saw fluid coming out but the brake pedal never bottomed out.

It has a brake assist and it would not bottom out with the engine running or not.

Just seems weird to me. Any comments or advice?

Really appreciate what Everett has done here. Almost like he hand picked some of you. I am very thankful for all the help I get here.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes anomoly or normal? Reply with quote

It'll go 1/2 way down but it shouldn't bottom out on the floor, that would only happen if a front was also open. Dual circuit brakes are meant to retain 50% of the system if part fails.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes anomoly or normal? Reply with quote

Thank you for the voice of reason and experience! That makes sense and it did not occur to me to consider that. I am doing the brakes one at a time due to money, I project being mobile in two months and hopefully the front discs can be turned. One of them is in obvious need.

Thank you, busdaddy, can I ask whether the bleeding process is independent for front and rear?

Edited to use correct username Smile

Edited again because I cant spell!

Really appreciate what Everett has done here. Almost like he hand picked some of you. I am very thankful for all the help I get here.

Last edited by therealfrogman on Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes anomoly or normal? Reply with quote

If you only had the rears open you should only have to bleed the rears, but anytime is a good time to get some fresh fluid through the whole system, do them all.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes anomoly or normal? Reply with quote

THANK YOU! Sorry for shouting Smile

You are just an incredible source of help not mentioning all the PM's you have responded to.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: