Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

True that and blow your color pallet on this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
True that and blow your color pallet on this.

Cool That bus turned out so damn nice. Who wouldn't want to spend a week in that Westy heading up or down the coast. I've always wanted to do that.. hopefully someday.

One of the things I really like about campers is that they were purchased with good intentions of travel and fun. Making memories and seeing new places along the way. Imagine the stories they could tell.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

I put the 15's back on the Westy. I really like the look of this wheel & tire combo. I need another set so I don't have to keep switching them. Laughing
Also mounted the rear bumper so I can have the tent set up at BBB. The bumpers were painted an off white with a brush at some point, but there's og silver white beneath waiting to be exposed. I stripped a little on the rear bumper.

Unfortunately I've had some issues with the bus that will require pulling the engine and trans out. The trans in the bus is noisy and it leaks a good amount of oil. It started as a slow drip but has become worse. I will leave the name of the builder out of this thread for now and see if they will stand behind it. The first time I got the trans back from the "rebuild" they put the axles/reduction boxes on backwards (left on right, right on left). This is a well known vw trans builder from So. Cal. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by oakman on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Hope all goes well with them backing it up.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Hope all goes well with them backing it up.

Thanks, me too. I know a few other folks who are happy with their work. The first mistake was just lame, probably happened on a Friday afternoon or a Monday morning. Smile This was an extra transaxle I had rebuilt. The original trans to this bus is rebuilt (by a different shop) and sitting in my shed waiting to be re-installed.
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Hope you get the trans issue resolved, such a killer bus!!
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Bus is looking great Brandon. Hope that trans builder stands behind their work! What kind of tires are you running on the bus now, brand, ration, dimension etc.?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Bus is looking great Brandon. Hope that trans builder stands behind their work! What kind of tires are you running on the bus now, brand, ration, dimension etc.?

Thanks Michael, tires are BFG All Terrain KO2 LT 215/75 R15. I keep switching these between buses, I really like the 15" wheels on this bus better than the 14's.

Yeah, the trans deal is a piss off..we'll see what happens.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
velvetgreen wrote:

Thanks Michael, tires are BFG All Terrain KO2 LT 215/75 R15. I keep switching these between buses, I really like the 15" wheels on this bus better than the 14's.

Yeah, the trans deal is a piss off..we'll see what happens.

I run 15's on my Westy for the same reason.... they just look better. Not to mention all the great 15" tires to run on them.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Fingers crossed for you Brandon. I think I read earlier in your thread that you found the 15" BFG's had a bit too much rolling resistance for your liking and cut in to your top end speed? Anyhow yes they look great- I am in the market for a new set of 15" this spring so m starting to look around.

Any chance those BFG's will fit in the stock spare wheel well too? Bonus points for that!
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Fingers crossed for you Brandon. I think I read earlier in your thread that you found the 15" BFG's had a bit too much rolling resistance for your liking and cut in to your top end speed? Anyhow yes they look great- I am in the market for a new set of 15" this spring so m starting to look around.

Any chance those BFG's will fit in the stock spare wheel well too? Bonus points for that!

They are much larger than the Yokohama LT 195/75 R14 Y356 tires I've been running, which I think are slightly shorter than the stock bias ply.

I have the engine running better than when I had the 15's w/BFG's on previously and it pulls them along well now. I think with stock gearing and a good running 1600 or larger will do fine. Top speed is probably higher now but the speedo shows slower now from the larger tires. Haven't checked it against gps. The "gear change" feel from the larger tires is noticeable though. As far as rolling resistance, I'm not sure I can tell much.

They won't fit in a walkthru spare well, I doubt they would fit in the bench seat well either.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Thanks Brandon much appreciated for the feedback. I (like everyone else probably) am looking for a "have your cake and eat it too" sort of tire that fits all aesthetic/functional considerations as well as reinforced sidewall and as well as fitting the factory spare tire wheel well-not an easy list so please keep us posted.

Oh and am running a 1600 DP stock engine which would be nice to be able to maintain a decent highway speed without having to pedal to metal or worry about every small incline- ha.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Thanks Brandon much appreciated for the feedback. I (like everyone else probably) am looking for a "have your cake and eat it too" sort of tire that fits all aesthetic/functional considerations as well as reinforced sidewall and as well as fitting the factory spare tire wheel well-not an easy list so please keep us posted.

Oh and am running a 1600 DP stock engine which would be nice to be able to maintain a decent highway speed without having to pedal to metal or worry about every small incline- ha.

I know..it's always tough for me to decide on tires. I really like how the 14" Yokohama's handle but now they look too small on this bus. I have the same tires on my 67' and for some reason they look much better (to me at least) on that bus. I think for 14" wheels a 205/75 r14 is the way to go, although most tires in that size seem to be for trailers only.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:

Yep, the holy grail for us. Unfortunately none of the properly rated radial tires will fit in the walkthru spare tire area, just too wide. I ended up going with a nice LT rated 15" tire (Thunderer Ranger R101) and using a new bias ply for my spare (Power King 6.70 x 15):

Not a perfect solution but works for me.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:

Yep, the holy grail for us. Unfortunately none of the properly rated radial tires will fit in the walkthru spare tire area, just too wide. I ended up going with a nice LT rated 15" tire (Thunderer Ranger R101) and using a new bias ply for my spare (Power King 6.70 x 15):

Not a perfect solution but works for me.

That looks like a good way to go. About the only place to put the spare BFG would be inside the 'living room' on the sisal mat or on the roof rack.. Laughing Sad
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

I bought these 7.00r14 and had them mounted on original paint rims. I really like the look of the side wall, and being D rated they'll be sturdy. They will fit in the original tire well no problem. Not a super aggressive tread but I believe they also sell a aggressive tread tire in this size.

But I'm very partial to the look of bias plies on old vehicles.

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Those look really cool and are the same size tire as original (for 14" rims) but in the description the OD seems small:

https://www.nebraskatire.com/light-truck/samson-tr...iameter-ti
7.00X14 8ply Tubeless $65

OD 24.4" SW 7.3" 25lbs max load 1550lbs 60psi

Can you confirm that's the diameter of yours inflated?
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

od needs to be close to 26.5" to 27"

24 is too small. high rpms, etc

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

derRHDmeister wrote:
od needs to be close to 26.5" to 27"

24 is too small. high rpms, etc

24 inches would be small on a beetle even

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Those look really cool and are the same size tire as original (for 14" rims) but in the description the OD seems small:

https://www.nebraskatire.com/light-truck/samson-tr...iameter-ti
7.00X14 8ply Tubeless $65

OD 24.4" SW 7.3" 25lbs max load 1550lbs 60psi

Can you confirm that's the diameter of yours inflated?

according to their stats, if the 7.3 sidewall is correct then there is no way the OD is 24.4. maybe they meant 28.4? 7.3+7.3+14 = 28.6

maybe a typo?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 28

Jump to: