Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Rich's 50 wrote:
Nicely done Cool

AS350driver wrote:

That’s a great pic there. Super nice bus, and you chose very wisely in your preservation of it.

Thanks fellas Cool

j.pickens wrote:
I've checked out this thread over the years. But I can't recall if you ever discussed what you might know about the origins of your bus. I had thought that VW only imported SO-34's with the white laminate interior cabinets into the US market. Was this SO-35 a tourist import?

Beautiful camper, one of my favorites!

Thank you, I feel lucky to have it.

It's a no port code Westy, so delivered in Germany. The birth cert shows that it was delivered to Stuttgart. It has the blue California plates that came out in 1970, so my guess would be that it stayed over in Germany for 5 years before coming to California. Could have been someone in the service or who knows? It also has holes from the German plates in the front bumper and decklid. I bought it from the family of most likely the 2nd owner. I have a stack of registration slips going back to 72'. Wish I knew more..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The closest relative to my bus that I've seen is Daniel's 64' so-35:

The only real differences I remember between his and mine are the lower color, and mine came with a gas heater. His is a 64', mine a 65'. I still want to compare the m-plates.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
I remember when I first saw a flipseat in the flesh at the Manassas, VA bugin, I thought it weird that the owner "restored" the bus in that awful white formica.
I was quickly schooled in the fact that it was a stock SO-34.

Never liked the look, I much prefer the wood interior SO-35. But as you say, they are pretty rare in the US.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

There are not many patina jobs out there that Id say are wroth a damn. Oakman definitely took the time to restore and preserve what was there, making a very unique cool ass bus for sure.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
There are not many patina jobs out there that Id say are worth a damn. Oakman definitely took the time to restore and preserve what was there, making a very unique cool ass bus for sure.

Thank you Jason. It's not perfect, but at least it takes your eyes from going right to it most of the time, and it looks a thousand times better than cut wells imo. I can't seem to ever get paint matched as good as I want it to be. The green is still too bright, especially depending on the light, but overall I'm happy with it. Sometimes I just have to say good enough or I will drive myself nuts. Cool

Looking at the picture below reminds me that I need to get splash pans for the rear bumper Smile

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
notchboy wrote:
There are not many patina jobs out there that Id say are worth a damn. Oakman definitely took the time to restore and preserve what was there, making a very unique cool ass bus for sure.

Thank you Jason. It's not perfect, but at least it takes your eyes from going right to it most of the time, and it looks a thousand times better than cut wells imo. I can't seem to ever get paint matched as good as I want it to be. The green is still too bright, especially depending on the light, but overall I'm happy with it. Sometimes I just have to say good enough or I will drive myself nuts. Cool

Looking at the picture below reminds me that I need to get splash pans for the rear bumper Smile

Brother, Im talking about the whole thing. Not just your fake paint. Wink Laughing

Time and effort to restore the cabinets, the engine bay detail and all that little fiddly shit in between. Well done. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Sweet.
Email sent.
Very Happy

check your email Oct 15th, The Samba says an email was sent to you. Would show up as Everttb.
I feel better now that I know I'm not having hallucinations. Confused
Pictures look great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

I finally got to see this bus in the flesh and all I can say is WOW! Such a rad bus you have Brandon. Let me know if you ever want to trade Wink

I drove to OCTO specifically so I could get a pic of our two velvet green and white buses together.

What a treat it was when Daniel showed up with his '64 SO35. I can't say I've ever seen two SO35s parked next to each other before.

Looking forward to our next campout together
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
I finally got to see this bus in the flesh and all I can say is WOW! Such a rad bus you have Brandon. Let me know if you ever want to trade Wink

I drove to OCTO specifically so I could get a pic of our two velvet green and white buses together.

What a treat it was when Daniel showed up with his '64 SO35. I can't say I've ever seen two SO35s parked next to each other before.

Looking forward to our next campout together

Johnny, what a great time and thanks for the pics! A much needed fun time for sure. My only complaint is that it was over too soon! Don't tempt me with a trade now, I LOVE walkthru buses. It was great to finally get them next to each other, they totally look like they were sitting out in the desert together for decades, the fades are so similar. Fun stuff, can't wait for the next one!!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Keep us posted on your starter issue.

Also thank you for offering your Enders stove when my Coleman 413G was having issues.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Great line up guys. We need to get a whole Westy village going on the next Spring Picnic.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Great line up guys. We need to get a whole Westy village going on the next Spring Picnic.

I concur. Your velvet green will be the trifecta
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

Westy Village! Dancing
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:

Also thank you for offering your Enders stove when my Coleman 413G was having issues.

I needed to get fuel on the way home so I left it running just in case it wouldn't start again.. I really think it's the starter bushing not being tight in the trans.

It didn't pop out of 4th all the way home which was nice.

The new engine pulls the bus up the Cajon Pass easily in 4th gear all the way, doing 60mph at about half throttle. I'm really happy with the power it has now.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
von_hansel wrote:

I needed to get fuel on the way home so I left it running just in case it wouldn't start again.. I really think it's the starter bushing not being tight in the trans.

It didn't pop out of 4th all the way home which was nice.

The new engine pulls the bus up the Cajon Pass easily in 4th gear all the way, doing 60mph at about half throttle. I'm really happy with the power it has now.

What motor spec did you end up going with? Did you change your gearing at all? At some point I want to build a bigger motor but try to keep it stock looking. Maybe a mild stroker but nothing crazy as i don't want to run extra cooling.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
von_hansel wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

Westy Village! Dancing

We can form a green Westy mafia ....

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:

What motor spec did you end up going with? Did you change your gearing at all? At some point I want to build a bigger motor but try to keep it stock looking. Maybe a mild stroker but nothing crazy as i don't want to run extra cooling.

Hey Todd, it's a stock geared bus trans as far as I know. No extra cooling on the engine or anything, just a screw on filter where the oil pump is. No full flow. Most of the drive up the pass I'm barely touching the accelerator. Even on that last, super steep dreaded climb of the pass, I was able to just keep it in the sweet spot right about 60, and was about half throttle from what I could tell. It pulls like a Cummins Very Happy

Here's what I know: 1915cc, stock cam, 69mm stroke, counterweighted crank, 9.29:1 compression. The heads are hemi-cut, 0.01 deck height, dual Weber 40's, the exhaust is the sidewinder knock off, not stainless. Still 6 volt. It achieved it's full torque on the dyno at 2500 rpm (126 ft lb). Made 87 hp on dyno. I've never built an engine but I've pulled and installed them countless times Very Happy This engine was built by Mohr Performance in Apple Valley, Ca. Joel Mohr is a longtime Vw engine and trans builder, drag racer, desert racer etc. I have a great running 1600 in my Mango that he also built.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

Hey Todd, it's a stock geared bus trans as far as I know. No extra cooling on the engine or anything, just a screw on filter where the oil pump is. No full flow. Most of the drive up the pass I'm barely touching the accelerator. Even on that last, super steep dreaded climb of the pass, I was able to just keep it in the sweet spot right about 60, and was about half throttle from what I could tell.

Here's what I know: 1915cc, stock cam, 69mm stroke, 9.29:1 compression. The heads are hemi-cut, 0.01 deck height, dual Weber 40's, the exhaust is the sidewinder knock off, not stainless. Still 6 volt. It achieved it's full torque on the dyno at 2500 rpm (126 ft lb). Made 87 hp on dyno. I've never built an engine but I've pulled and installed them countless times Very Happy This engine was built by Mohr Performance in Apple Valley, Ca. Joel Mohr is a longtime Vw engine and trans builder, drag racer, desert racer etc. I have a great running 1600 in my Mango that he also built.

Sounds like its working well. My bus is happy at 60 (Bignut) but I'd like to be able to stay in 4th on the hills instead of dropping to 3rd. Thanks!
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:

The 'Velvet Green Westfalia Subhatch Mafia' is a very exclusive club from what I understand, only like three or four members world-wide!
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:

Sounds like its working well. My bus is happy at 60 (Bignut) but I'd like to be able to stay in 4th on the hills instead of dropping to 3rd. Thanks!

After the long climb up the Cajon, I exited the freeway and pulled over to grab the dipstick and just listen to the engine. It wasn't too hot, and it was idling like normal and sounded good. I have around 700 miles on this new engine, so far so good.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:

DANG! Happy for you. That is impressive

I'm going to be doing 35mph in the slow lane, racing the big rigs with my 1600dp when I come up for one of our campouts. You make me want to build that 1915 I have access to.

AS350driver wrote:

Velvet Green Scoundrels Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 28

Jump to: