Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct Air Cleaner set-up
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Correct Air Cleaner set-up Reply with quote

There are two hoses that start from the elbow, one goes to the cleaner and one to a port on the carb. I looked at a few pictures in the gallery and saw the hoses connected in a number of different ways. Which way is correct?
Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Air Cleaner set-up Reply with quote

The long hose connects to the port on the left side of your intake that is plugged on yours. Were that hose is connected to now on the carb would have a hose to the back of the dist. Looks like the wrong Dist. in yours. Check out the engine pics at http://kubeltreffen181.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Air Cleaner set-up (vacuum hoses) Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
The long hose connects to the port on the left side of your intake that is plugged on yours. Were that hose is connected to now on the carb would have a hose to the back of the dist. Looks like the wrong Dist. in yours. Check out the engine pics at http://kubeltreffen181.com

Thanks Ron...so Things originally came with dual vacuum advance distributors? I have a Mexican Bosch SVDA on it now. So what I think I'll do is keep the vacuum hose from the distributor where it is now (port on the left side of the carb). I will take the longer hose from the air cleaner elbow and connect it to the port on the intake manifold as you suggest and then plug the port on the back of the carb.
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Air Cleaner set-up Reply with quote

here is the 73 thing engine on the last Thing Ron and I just finished you will find this engine is about the most original done you will find.

Last edited by citroen on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Air Cleaner set-up Reply with quote

nice job on that '73 Dennis! You even have the green hose!
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Air Cleaner set-up Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
here is a 73 thing engine on the last Thing Ron and I just finished you will this engine is about the most original done you will find

Wow, all I can say is . . . wow . . . gorgeous!

A previous owner added a PICT 30 carb, Bosch 009 distributor, as well a 'Flamethrower' points and coil to my car, so my 1973 Thing will not be so 'nice' !

Seeing that the present set up in my car is working, I do not want to fix something that is working . . .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: