Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, WTF??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, WTF?? Reply with quote

Not a joke, that's what it's called in the ad: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1862736
I'm having a really hard time getting my head around this, first of all why?, and secondly how?. It looks like there's a bit of rubber every few inches for traction, is there cogs on the pulleys as well? (can't quite see), how long can a strip of metal flex until it lets go in the middle of nowhere?, does it stretch?, is it noisy?, how is it better aside from the steampunkish look? (that tensioner looks really special)
I also wonder about the ratios, looks like the fan would be turning fairly slow from the size of that top pulley (1:1?). Thier website is hokey so that's not much help Confused

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

Am I seeing things, or is that pencil thick metal thing actually supporting a tensioner? And...... Is it just jammed into the generator strap?

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

With many new products and innovations, I like to imagine what problem or question the inventor was addressing when they settled on the solution.

The only question I could come up with is, "Why didn't I cut my fingers clean off when I accidentally touched that rubber fan belt?"

I think this is a pretty damn good solution to that problem.

I don't think electrickery works that way
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

Very interesting!

I am sure it will be the perfect solution for......an application we haven't thought of yet.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

Their video provides some additional information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVhL30Z9Fes

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

I'm out, as I don't have an iPhone to run the tensioning app. Wink
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

Looks like some industrial belt system applied to a T1 engine. It will have smaller losses for sure than a v-belt. And cut stuff more efficiently as noted before.

Maybe a good product for mileage fanatics?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

Shocked wonder if it 'whistles' Laughing Laughing Laughing
I hate any king of 'idlers' Rolling Eyes they don't last on our american junk Sad
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

runs so tru that you don't even need an alternator/generator nut anymore Shocked

Saves weight thereby increasing gas milage Idea
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

It slices, it dices, it makes julienne fries!!
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

Why go out and buy an expensive counter top slicer when you can make ham sandwiches for your entire family from the comfort of your own garage.

"You set the timing"
"I'm not setting the timing"

"Let's get Mikey, He'll set anything"!
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

Vw designed the factory Belt and pulley system so that the belt could slip at higher rates of engine acceleration and rpm. I think most of the serpentine belt systems are trying to eliminate belt slippage. So, in my opinion the serpentine systems are trying to eliminate what the serpentine system designer / manufacturer sees as a problem (belt slippage maybe?). I think this system isn't needed. I don't see any advantage to using a serpentine system for my car anyway. I can't understand spending money fixing something that if set up properly with stock parts isn't broken or a problem to begin with.

I think that alot of vw owners have belt / pulley problems caused by improper installation / adjustment, bent / worn pulleys, improperly made poor quality replacement crank and alternator pulleys, mis-aligned crank and alternator (or generator) pulleys, wrong belt for their application etc. The factory system is so simple and it works really well but all the correct components for the application have to be in good shape and they have to be installed and maintained properly. Things go wrong when one or more of the above are not right. By the way, the latest Hot VW's has a page or two on alternator pulley / belt problems by Steve Phillips and is really good to read.
My $0.02
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

Being in the Elevator Industry for 50 years as electro-mechanical design engineer, I could come up with a list as to why the belt system should be banned. But I will give you #1 on my list –It is so Freaking Dangerous!!!!!!!!! I had to incorporate my business to sell my Cali Deco Floating Pen. My lawyer said as simple as it looks what if someone uses it as a weapon, you could lose your house and life saving. The metal belt systems if it breaks not only can is whip around and slice and dice all your fuel lines and all your ignition wires and cable, but seeing it is metal it can short out and burn out your electrical systems like Electronic ignitions and regulators etc. Oh this should have been number #1-- think about what it can do to you, if it catches your shirt or a tool. Or if it breaks and whips around at 1000 rpms ( idle speed ). Slice your wrists or worse.
There are reasons some belts are made to slip like a fan belts to prevent a total lock up of the system.
Other belts are for timing that have teeth like a Timing belts.
Both are rubber or similar material, non conductive and safe. This has been the industry standard for years and for good reasons.
Anyone selling that had better have good insurance.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

Seems the steel belt technology has certain niches, such as the food and medical industry. I agree it seems out of place as an automotive drive belt.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

Just a question, why do you think that VW designed the belt to slip? Is it written somewhere? Probably not designed to slip but the more powerful motors of today make them. My 36er wont slip a belt unless its ready to fall off.
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

Sure looks cool Rolling Eyes
Sounds like shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wYUc4T6Iks
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

Looks like just another attempt to get into the serpentine belt craze.... On than I will pass...

And the spinning metal belt reminds reminds me of a "bandsaw" blade made to to cut wood or metal.... Flesh????

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

has any body seen my fingers Shocked I do like the nylon crank pully they make,I bet it will reveloutionize the vw industry by damping the crank harmoncs and oh so light too.and you can spit off a belt in less than 3 seconds for a quicker 1/4 time. the pushrod tubes look quite small and might be good for stock stuff, but they might not work so good with a high loft cam.
fabricator john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

Best response would be the little "X" in the top left corner,
And type selma hayek hot in the search and forget all.
Fabricator john
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Amazing new "razor blade" belt drive system, W Reply with quote

I thought I was the only guy that liked Selma.

OMG From Dawn to Dusk, the Snake Dance scene --- and George Clooney's comment !!!!

Talk about getting me off the subject!!!!

Wait not off so far, that movie did have some slicing and dicing !!
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: