Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Anything new to report on this kit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

dougass wrote:
Caution about comparing cost (which is TBD, isn’t it?) to an engine conversion. Sure you can get a cheap donor engine from a Subaru, then all the custom parts to do the conversion and committing to the extensive hours to do it will still cost many thousand dollars; if you have a shop do it, isn’t it consistently over $10k?!?!

Happy to be old fashioned or ignorant, I prefer a [modified] factory power plant.

For now.

except you can build a NA Subaru with 200 horse easily and reliably...a 300 hp Subaru is no big deal using a turbo Subaru and is going to be more reliable long term than trying to make big power out of a crap engine design.

I think it's neat don't get me wrong...but the Subaru has been proven in this h/p range.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

what's the ability of the worn out 091/1 to handle the torque?

Last edited by Franklinstower on Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

I’m in California and our Subaru options are somewhat limited. I don’t know if a turbo charged wbx will be legal but I still like the option and am willing to give it a try. Btw 90-94 2.2 Subaru’s which is the legal conversion here is getting harder to find.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Seems you folks have lost the point of this thread. Take your Subaru-love to the appropriate threads. This one is about TURBO WATERBOXERS - something Marco does well and has proven.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Sure wish Marco would chime in on this thread if the project is still going or just got put on the backburner forever. The thread started in 2015. It's so old that even insyncro was making comments on it. The last time he was posting on this thread was back in November. His last comment was on his injector thread last month and the last time he checked the Samba was last week so he hasn't disappeared completely.

I really wish this project would finally get off the ground.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

I see his posts on FB fairly regularly.

Oh, and fk Stooparoo.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Marco has a website up now https://mansispeed.com/. This is just conjecture on my part but the individual products he’s making look to be building blocks for a turbo setup. He also still has the turbo kit listed as coming soon.
zx11pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Well, it's now been 2 days and 5 years since the original post. I'm trying to stay optimistic but my optimism is getting a good workout you could say. If there is a Santa Claus, maybe we'll hear something by Christmas? And yes, I know, there are much bigger things to worry about right now but life is not on pause...it's still going on and we, along with our vans, are unfortunately getting older. Just looking for a few new crumbs of update that's all. That'll hold me over for a while yet for sure.
milrmic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

I’m prepping an engine *now* to install Marco’s turbo kit. Among a million other projects - anyone who knows Marco knows he has a million projects going and accepts no help - Marco has been pulling together this turbo kit, while others largely abandon the effort and install a certain Japanese waterboxer... usually not turbocharged. I’m confident enough in this turbo wbx effort that I recently had Matt Steedle rebuild my automatic gearbox to handle the hp increase. I don’t know about Christmastime, but I expect to have the first MansiSpeed turbocharged wbx running in my van not long after we ring in the 2021 new year. I’m looking forward to modern EFI, ditching the ancient and always failing AFM, monitoring my motor via OBD2, and being able to run my A/C while accelerating uphill!
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Vaporware.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Five years?

Religions go on for thousands of years based on the promise that something good is about to happen.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Well, these are clearly endtimes, so something is going to happen...maybe even a turbo WBX kit. Keep the faith, and don't give in to stoopidity.

y u rune klassik?
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

I would be highly impressed if a 2.1 WBX-T could be tuned to near 200hp at the wheels. The claim of 300hp is a pipe dream IMO. Excited to see this come to the community either way Exclamation
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

milrmic wrote:
I don’t know about Christmastime, but I expect to have the first MansiSpeed turbocharged wbx running in my van not long after we ring in the 2021 new year.

i was about to ask what management you guys are planning to be run, but this makes me go "huh?" ...

milrmic wrote:
I
I’m looking forward to modern EFI, ditching the ancient and always failing AFM, monitoring my motor via OBD2

adapting some (i assume vw) obd2 motronic seems a bit too rube-goldberg-ish to work out well, but curious to see how you get on with it.

anyway, back to lurking...

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

2 posts and both are on Marco's product threads. Looks like someone is schilling for Marco. Wink
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Squidfish wrote:
I would be highly impressed if a 2.1 WBX-T could be tuned to near 200hp at the wheels. The claim of 300hp is a pipe dream IMO. Excited to see this come to the community either way Exclamation

Try doubling that. WBX-t engines have been pushed to over 600hp

Link

y u rune klassik?
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Squidfish wrote:

Try doubling that. WBX-t engines have been pushed to over 600hp

Should fit under the deck lid well Laughing
That is very impressive with only 2110cc!
My comment referred to the idea of a WBX bolt-on kit for stock internals, etc. With more displacement, built internals, fuel control and boost -- yeah let's shoot for that 600 Twisted Evil
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

More WBX pr0n

Link

y u rune klassik?
zx11pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 200hp-300hp Turbo Waterboxer is the US ready? Reply with quote

Wow! I have to say I now feel once again refreshed and revived! Faith restored and excitement about seeing this worthwhile project come to light is back again. Smile back on my face, patiently waiting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 31

Jump to: