Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No Power when reaching operating temperature
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: No Power when reaching operating temperature Reply with quote

I thought that might be the case. That could be your problem right there.

Mark

Oettingerdiesel wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:
It looks like some of the wiring is a little hacked. What is the thin black wire that goes up to a screw on the firewall?

Mark

I asked the PO , he mentioned he grounded that wire to firewall coming from the hall sensor plug into main harness. I dunno why that was ever opened up, but it always ran despite this......
Oettingerdiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: No Power when reaching operating temperature Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I thought that might be the case. That could be your problem right there.

Mark

Oettingerdiesel wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:
It looks like some of the wiring is a little hacked. What is the thin black wire that goes up to a screw on the firewall?

Mark

I asked the PO , he mentioned he grounded that wire to firewall coming from the hall sensor plug into main harness. I dunno why that was ever opened up, but it always ran despite this......

Yea but i checked the signal with the volt meter on the hall sensor and from the the computer harness as in the manual and it all came back within spec.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: No Power when reaching operating temperature Reply with quote

Until you unwrap it and look you don't really know what is up with that wire.

It may have nothing to do with the hall. Then the question is what does it have to do with.

Mark
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: No Power when reaching operating temperature Reply with quote

Have you popped the cap of the distributor to see is you actually still have a Hall pickup in there and your PO didn't swap over to using points?
Oettingerdiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: No Power when reaching operating temperature Reply with quote

bad coil
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: No Power when reaching operating temperature Reply with quote

i recently was having a similar problem with the loss of power and eventually found a wiring problem that was causing the problem. a faulty wiper switch that was causing the horm circuit to ground. this was causing the engine to have a rough idle and lose power. when the voltage drops down it causes many issue with fi and spark.
1990 vw automatic camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: