Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

best pads available
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: best pads available Reply with quote

Ok did a brake overhaul and want bto get the best pads available for the front as they do m,ost of the stopping.So not just what I can get my hands on but some good compound.Any reccomendations? Anyone have expierence with something than whta the flaps can get>?Thanks all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: best pads available Reply with quote

"Best" by what measure? There are always tradeoffs. Hi dust/Lo dust. Long/Short life. Abrasive(disk wear)/not so abrasive. Heat resistant/not so resistant. Etc., etc.
You can't have everything at the same time.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: best pads available Reply with quote

Cptn. Calzone wrote:
Ok did a brake overhaul and want bto get the best pads available for the front as they do m,ost of the stopping.So not just what I can get my hands on but some good compound.Any reccomendations? Anyone have expierence with something than whta the flaps can get>?Thanks all

Well Captian, I louve yor relacks'd spelling pro,wess.

PEX/Pagid will do.
I like the ATE (oem) pads with the groove cut in the middle. That groove helps off-gassing under heavy braking. I used to think it was a "dust removal channel" until the BMW forum got all scientific on me.
Colin

(from Bus Depot)
Front Brake Pads
73-85, Original Equipment ATE, excellent quality. (Set, does both wheels)
Part Reference Number: D195A
Brand: Ate (Germany)
Availability: Usually ships in 1-3 working days (sooner if Expedited/Express shipping is chosen)
$29.95
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: best pads available Reply with quote

Colin, you can cut that groove in new pads with a hacksaw, done it a couple times with new pads.
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: best pads available Reply with quote

Kreemo .. how are you? Best?as in what works best in a bus this is a bus forum after all.Having said that what stops the vehicle straight and true and wears well.We have a winner provided by Colin!! Thank you Colin and I found the same pads at autohauze for 10 bucks cheaper than BD you heard it right folks ATE pads with the center cut. Thats not a center cut of beef but the center cut for the gasses and etc(beef will do that too btw)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: best pads available Reply with quote

I like textar myself if you can find them

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: best pads available Reply with quote

The same folfs have textar available for my 912 but no fatchick pads. I do believe I will be happy with the ate. Why do you prefer textar Skills? Better stopping power? wear or just a better pad?
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: best pads available Reply with quote

I need to slow down on the keypad and spell a bit eh?
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: best pads available Reply with quote

Cptn. Calzone wrote:
I need to slow down on the keypad and spell a bit eh?

Naw.
Colin
(p.s. to 19672etc, yes, you can cut grooves in new pads, but best that it be done under water, why not get the grooves made for you?)
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: best pads available Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I like textar myself if you can find them

For most cars I have used them on...I have found Textar and Mintex to be very nearly equal (really depending on the friction code/series of course). Both really good pads. Oddly enough...Textar and Mintex have both been owned by the same company for some time now.

The ATE's and Pagid are also all excellent.

Of course all of these are just brands. There are several different friction codes in each brand. You could easily get a pad in any of these brands that either works perfectly or very crappy. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: