Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rock Auto / Walker Warranty
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

Guys just to warn you if you purchase a part from Rockauto and it is defective and it's wasn't intended for your vechical they will refuse warranty.
I purchased a Walker Muffler (limited lifetime warranty) for my Bostig Conversion, the Muffler has a broken baffle internally I asked about replacement and they refused because it wasn't intended for that application.
The muffler has 1 tank of fuel thru it less than 300 miles.
If you have the same problem make sure you say that it is for a 1998 Ford Contour 2.5 V6
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

This is exactly what you can expect from not supporting your local part store(s)

If you had a warrantee issue it would have had been taken care of.

You got a deal on the muffler from rockauto, and now you'll have to eat the broken baffle on your own.

Shop for that low ball internet price-expect to eat any problems or warrantee issues on you--live with it.

When will folks learn--

You got what you paid for.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

I use my local Rock Auto/NAPA store for many of my regular maintenance parts (oil, filters, wipers, batteries, brake pads, alternators, etc). I'm there often enough that I am recognized and I recognize them. I had to replace the battery in my wife's 03 tdi the other day and it still had a year left on its lifespan. They took it back and gave me the prorated refund even though I did not have the receipt because they knew me. Same with alternators, even though they knew it was going in a subie in a Vanagon. So they can help out if they choose to. But your comment is still valid, no reason to give them a reason to deny a warranty. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
This is exactly what you can expect from not supporting your local part store(s)

Unfortunately, for many areas, there is no longer any choice. The two excellent local stores I used to use are now gone -and the two before that.
In the city next to me, there is basically only AutoZone, Advance, no NAPA even. It's a poor place and I guess the AutoZone cheap prices for even cheaper parts won out - God I hate to use them.

Luckily for me, there is a NAPA nearby my work (and an AutoZone built afterwards a few hundred feet away), so I continue to use them. There is ZERO locally owned places where I work and there have not been any for over 15 plus years - even before the AutoZone and NAPA came into town, so they are not the reason in this particular case.

The owner said there were just less and less people working on cars and I believe the increase in reliability of newer cars just meant less parts to sell. I know after I sold my VW and got my Honda, I just was never in there anymore for anything but oil filters.

I use the dealer now for most of my Honda parts - mail ordered from my local dealer. I support them, and I get better prices than they are allowed to give at the desk.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

Yea--
But you can't beat a mortar & brick store to get warrantee work taken care of in the event of issues--

Rockauto is the pits just for reasons as were presented--and this kinda stuff is posted all over the internet to beware of--
It for sure isn't the first time I've read this kinda problems with them--

"I use my local Rock Auto/NAPA store"

I didn't know that NAPA is now a distributor for Rockauto.com parts--interesting--
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

Quote:
You got what you paid for.

YGWYPF

The Bostig manual's list is for those who are looking for one stop shopping at the lowest possible price + plus a discount by using a code.

Just as with the OP's coolant tower cap choice, much better quality is available from a different source and yes a few dollars more.

Just as with most Vanagon parts, the "rock" bottom prices usually yield some pretty janky items.

Myself, with all conversions and maintaining the WBX, I buy quality, from multiple vendors, paying multiple shipping charges, don't get discounts....and have strong runners.

I have learned from from trial and error on my dime.
FWIW, I dont buy this muffler from Rock, rather Amazon or EBay and only in the full stainless steel version.

Other parts needed for the Bostig to watch out for as cheap = a waste of time:

Motor mounts - use Motorcraft
Coolant tower cap - use Stant
Thermostat - use Stant
Serp belt tensioner - use Motorcraft
PCV - use Motorcraft
O2 sensor - use Bosch

Yes these parts are more money and well worth the extra coin vs headaches IMO.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

FYI, NAPA has grades or levels of parts available.

You can ask for parts with a part number and than they can cross reference for manufacturer.

If you just ask for a part, you will be getting the lowest grade they have at the highest markup...they love this.

Know what you want and made by whom...this way, when you hear the price it will be understood that you are getting a "brand" not a generic like Standard...the NAPA go to brand and one they make a killing off of.
They know you will be bringing it back at some point.
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

Same thing happened to me, the second one was bought a my FLAPS and I placed the order for the car it was originally supposed to fit. I forget what that is now, duh. Now that FLAPS is out of business and a NAPA took it over. Any walker muffler shop should honor the warranty if you have the slip. Just make sure it doesn't say Vanagon for the vehicle.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

The inconvenience is the biggest bother, I really didn't lose too much money as the muffler is $69. and they had a $50 rebate which I received so it cost me $19. plus shipping, the local shop wanted $131. Napa, and $113 at Autozone..
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

Walker Muffler at bumper to bumper $89.00 plus tax, plus the warrantee.

For $19.00 that was a defective muffler from the get go, and / a returned item perhaps that they off'ed on you.

For that price it wasn't worth the effort writing the original post and bitching about it.

No wonder they don't want it back.

You sewed your own problems here.

I am looking at my shoe laces and shaking my head on this one.

You wanted it for nothing I bet-- right?
Really?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
For $19.00 that was a defective muffler from the get go, and / a returned item perhaps that they off'ed on you.
For that price it wasn't worth the effort writing the original post and bitching about it.
Really?

Come on TK, give it a break. I've bought the exact same muffler from RockAuto twice. It's a decent Walker muffler. Bassyaks just got unlucky and learned a lesson about car parts ordering. Given any excuse (like part ordered wasn't for correct car) and the discounters will balk at replacement.

I ran into the same issue when I bought my Zetec engine, I asked about their warranty, but because I made the mistake of telling them I was doing an engine conversion, they balked at extending the warranty to my purchase.

Sellers never know how the part may have been misused in a conversion, or subjected to adverse stress. Parts warranties are always limited to original application only. Read the paperwork.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

You have to be careful about disclosing exactly what part went on what vehicle. If I was Mr. Walker and someone fit a Honda muffler on a Ford, then it had a baffle problem..well..I would think the muffler was installed on a vehicle that it was not engineered for, so maybe that is the problem. Just saying (when you look up the terms and conditions from Walker they say no manufacturers warranty on modified exhaust installations)..I could not fault RockAuto (they just sell parts) or Walker. We are a small group..not many know what a Bostig conversion is.

RockAuto has some faults, however their customer service has been great with me. For example, I got an OEM condenser for my Audi, made a Valero, on closeout from RA. When I went and installed it, when pulling a vacuum, it leaked. The part had been in a warehouse somewhere and a fitting was cracked.

RA issued a credit for the part and shipping, no questions asked and then applied the credit towards a Nissens condenser. They told me to toss the Valero and do not return it.

A pain in the rear for sure..but they took care of problem as best as could be expected.

Do be aware on RockAuto closeout parts..if they say 30 day returns..it means 30 day returns. My condenser purchase was only a couple of weeks old. If I had waited too long to install the part..my risk and loss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Terry Kay wrote:
Really?

Come on TK, give it a break. I've bought the exact same muffler from RockAuto twice. It's a decent Walker muffler. Bassyaks just got unlucky and learned a lesson about car parts ordering. Given any excuse (like part ordered wasn't for correct car) and the discounters will balk at replacement.

I ran into the same issue when I bought my Zetec engine, I asked about their warranty, but because I made the mistake of telling them I was doing an engine conversion, they balked at extending the warranty to my purchase.

Sellers never know how the part may have been misused in a conversion, or subjected to adverse stress. Parts warranties are always limited to original application only. Read the paperwork.

She's right...

While I agree with you the problems are trivial at best, and doubly so given the trivial monetary investment into the part.

His creating the thread has revealed (at least to myself,) things I did not know before hand... and also good advice to be taken regarding non-B'n'M auto parts ordering.

In the end, knowing and being familiar with whomever you're buying parts from is far superior to buying them (no matter the $$ savings) than from online and a soulless faceless terminal.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

If he went to a bone yard, they'd get $10.00 for a used muffer--minimum, of any variety.
He paid $9.00 more.
The baffle rattles.

So what?
Then he has the intestinal fortitude to ask for a warrantee?

Common'--

Spray this entire post down with LPS-1, or WD-40.
I hear a lot of squeaking going on.
Must be an awfully tight pin in this hinge.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

He's accepting the loss without tears.

He is simply telling the rest of us how to answer questions so we too do not suffer loss.

A worthy topic to discuss.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

Conversion = custom.....to a vendor.

"Custom" is usually only covered with "universal fit" products.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

"The inconvenience is the biggest bother, I really didn't lose too much money as the muffler is $69. and they had a $50 rebate which I received."

As notated here Dave, it is a short money inconveninence warning, which I feel doesn't even warrant mentioning.

A muffler, is a muffler is a muffler, regardless what it's buttoned up to.
I am sure RA blew him off just because.

A G.P. hit the road Jack, and don't you come back no more refusal.

This post entered into the ridiculous file with his beif, and for openers, first line, first post, he was warning folks about a bad busines deal with RA.

Warning about what?
That RA is giving away Walker mufflers?

You gotta be kidding me.

Again, I've seen it all right here live, not even on Memorex.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

Magnaflow and forget about it
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

Cherry Bomb--straight through, no baffles to rattle, cheap ,and you can light either end.
LSMFT.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Auto / Walker Warranty Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Spray this entire post down with LPS-1, or WD-40.
I hear a lot of squeaking going on.
Must be an awfully tight pin in this hinge.

Yep, a whole lot of squeaking coming from somewhere. Wink

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: