Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thing vs type 1 transmissions
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Sal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: thing vs type 1 transmissions Reply with quote

I have a reproduction Kubelwagen which was built on a '70 beetle chassis. I have a spare transmission from a Thing. Will I notice any more "low end" if I swap out the beetle tranny for the Thing tranny? I'm too tall on the gears as it is now. When going thru the trails with real Kubels I'm always between 1rst & 2nd & riding the clutch to keep from running over them. I don't have any history on the beetle tranny that is in the car now. Any advice appreciated.
Mike S
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: thing vs type 1 transmissions Reply with quote

Unless your Thing transmission was out of an early Thing with gear reduction boxes then no.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: thing vs type 1 transmissions Reply with quote

Thing stock gearing (w/o the reduction boxes) was 4.12 ring and pinion, 3.80/2.06/1.26/.89
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: thing vs type 1 transmissions Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Thing stock gearing (w/o the reduction boxes) was 4.12 ring and pinion, 3.80/2.06/1.26/.89

I`m pretty sure they use a 0.93 fourth gear.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: thing vs type 1 transmissions Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
74 Thing wrote:

I`m pretty sure they use a 0.93 fourth gear.

My mistake, thanks for the correction. My mind must be in the fog!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: