Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9 short hose H2O pump to Cylinder Head
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: 1.9 short hose H2O pump to Cylinder Head Reply with quote

Will i need to pull the water pump to replace this hose. I have worried over this one and the one between the two pipes on the passenger side nearly every trip i have taken.
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 short hose H2O pump to Cylinder Head Reply with quote

OOPS! Too late, upon further inspection i noticed the flange bolted to the back of the thermostat housing. You know what came next,broke off the 10mm bolt.Ahh yes. Could not be that easy. Any one have a gently used 1.9 thermo housing you want to part with?
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 short hose H2O pump to Cylinder Head Reply with quote

Bumping this old thread instead of making a new one.

Can anyone verify that removing the flange/nipple from the thermostat housing is the way to go to replace this hose? If so, it looks like I’ll need to remove the AC bracket to access the other screw?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 short hose H2O pump to Cylinder Head Reply with quote

That's a hard hose to replace. Those small fasteners most likely will break. Also, there's less than 1/4" gap between the spouts.
I would do a water pump/thermostat and still expect to break some of the bolts on the thermostat housing.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 short hose H2O pump to Cylinder Head Reply with quote

buspor63 wrote:
That's a hard hose to replace. Those small fasteners most likely will break. Also, there's less than 1/4" gap between the spouts.
I would do a water pump/thermostat and still expect to break some of the bolts on the thermostat housing.
^^^^^^^ This.
I have only replaced that hose while the Water Pump is out.
If he still has them in stock, Ken at Vanagain has offered reproduction Thermostat Housings for the 1.9 engine if you need one due to broken bolts.
I was successful in getting my original one apart back in 2019 when I did my rehabbing on the Cooling system, but have since replaced the housing with the whole new assembly. Be aware that the Aluminum Nipple can be pitted on the block/head side once you get the hose off, and the steel nipple on the Thermostat Housing side can be rusted and pitted, so for many people, they're taking JB Weld to the pits on the hose nipples to smooth the pits out.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 short hose H2O pump to Cylinder Head Reply with quote

Thank you both!

My pump and thermostat are fine, so I am considering trying to stop the leak by removing both clamps and replacing with new ones to see if that will stop the drips.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 short hose H2O pump to Cylinder Head Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
Thank you both!

My pump and thermostat are fine, so I am considering trying to stop the leak by removing both clamps and replacing with new ones to see if that will stop the drips.

The idea is to replace the wear items while you are in there so you don't have to go back in a year or two from now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: