Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New CB Perf case no sand seal
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: New CB Perf case no sand seal Reply with quote

Just got my new CB Performance case (Autolinea) and its not machined for sand seal. CB said they don't machine for sand seal period as they don't feel its necessary. This was not even an option when ordering. Now that its here, I'm having second thoughts about this. Looking for feedback, especially from anyone who has one of their cases. Should I machine it or leave it. I hate oil leaks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: New CB Perf case no sand seal Reply with quote

Have to agree Smile Unless your fording dusty river beds the positive crank case pressure should keep all carp out. and some sand seals are special order and line bore guys hate em.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New CB Perf case no sand seal Reply with quote

Smile The Stock VW engine BREATHES IN behind the crank pulley.

The sand seal was to prevent any sand/dust being ingested by off roaders or those in the sand dunes.

As a former engine builder I also hated them as it was difficult to keep the boring tool straight.

After selling my business to a son he had one of those cases that would not allow the pulley on the crank while hitting the case.

Somebody bored the case crooked.
Bajaman65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New CB Perf case no sand seal Reply with quote

I have run many of the CB Autolinea Aluminum Cases, they seem to have better QA than some of the other importers. I run the press in CB Sand Seal and Pulley's on my off-road cars that get into a lot of silt or sand. If you are running on the street a standard pulley will work fine. Good Luck and Have Fun Wink
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New CB Perf case no sand seal Reply with quote

Thanks all for reassuring me about that. I hate when you start double guessing yourself just after your parts show up! I just ordered my JayCee crank pulley, so I guess now It's final.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New CB Perf case no sand seal Reply with quote

Sand seals are designed to keep sand out, not to keep oil in. Most oil leaks behind the pulley are from cheap crappy aftermarket aluminum pulleys that were not machined correctly. I have never had a oil leak when using a Gene Berg pulley.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New CB Perf case no sand seal Reply with quote

I've used a couple aluminum CB cases with no problems. The mag ones with the welded plate behind #3 have to have the rear main bearing journal checked for run out though. I had a case that twisted with welding and know of a couple of others that did the same.

brad
Bajaman65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New CB Perf case no sand seal Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I've used a couple aluminum CB cases with no problems. The mag ones with the welded plate behind #3 have to have the rear main bearing journal checked for run out though. I had a case that twisted with welding and know of a couple of others that did the same.

brad

Ditto : I got 2 of the mag ones with the welded plate behind #3 with over .003 run-out. I must say that CB was great and replaced them.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New CB Perf case no sand seal Reply with quote

juST USE A CB PUSH IN SAND SEAL and pully. problem solved. yes dave there also made to keep the oil in.
Brian71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: New CB Perf case no sand seal Reply with quote

A good quality seal for which the case has been machined both keeps dirt out and retains oil. I have a timken lip seal in mine that works splendidly. Personally, I wouldn't build an engine without one. Just make sure you find a good, competent machinist to do the work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: