Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

they come in both 8mm and 10mm so i should be ok Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Thanks Heiko for going through the trouble of importing them in the US for the local community!

I'm based in Europe, and was aware of the Stateside Tuning offer. Didn't manage to source the provider - don't want to cut ST's business, but he's just not replying to my mails, I guess his interest if mainly the UK market.

Do you know if the makers would sell directly to customers in Europe?

Second question, is there anybody out there making 10mm rockers? ST sells VW version drilled and tapped to 10mm (up from the stock 8mm), but I was wondering if there is a stronger version out there for a type1 engine.
'77 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

They’re manufactured by TP Technologie in Germany. http://www.tp-technologie.de/produkte%20ventileinstellsch%20en.htm
I bought mine direct from Thorsten to avoid the transportation and mark up from Jim at Stateside.
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

'77 Westy wrote:
They’re manufactured by TP Technologie in Germany. http://www.tp-technologie.de/produkte%20ventileinstellsch%20en.htm
I bought mine direct from Thorsten to avoid the transportation and mark up from Jim at Stateside.

Nice job! In 8mm or 10mm? Jim said that he wasn't too keen on the 8mm but that the 10mm were bomb-proof.
'77 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

pierrox wrote:
'77 Westy wrote:

Nice job! In 8mm or 10mm? Jim said that he wasn't too keen on the 8mm but that the 10mm were bomb-proof.

10mm for a 2316cc Type 4 – work in progress. Smile
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Quote:

Hoody wrote:
So Colin for 189,000 miles you had zero issues with Genuine Porsche swivel feet. But after only 15,000 miles 2 of the 8 were not up to snuff? That's a 25%
failure rate in my book. There is a sucker born every day.

My Heiko 10mm swivelfoot adjusters are still on the engine. They did not fail, but they did make their defects known to me, and I did have to (and still do have to) massage many new parts to get them to behave.
Colin

I have some 8mm ones gotten thru this thread that I was working on the rocker arms today, cleaning them for the conversion. Haven't started grinding yet. How are these working for everyone who has them? Any updates on wear and performance? I am wondering too if I should have gone 10mm. When I started out down this path only the 8mm ones were available - although it makes more sense to not be grinding up my only good 10mm rocker arms.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

running the tp-technologie 8mm in my 1600 type 3. couple of thousand km so far (not a lot, i know) but no problems to date. have had to adjust a few times, they're trickier than standard adjusters due to the movement in the foot but you get used to it. i also boiled mine in oil prior to installation, just to be safe.

as for everyone claiming one is better than the other there are no absolutes. a number of parameters are involved such as who installed them and quality of work, how – and how often – they are adjusted, the state of your engine, how you drive etc. blanket statements only muddy the waters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

I have the genuine Porsche 8mm adjusters, at $29.95 per screw. Almost 100k on them and they are quieter than factory adjuster screws. I once went over 15k without having to adjust the valves, and the heads show absolutely NO sign of oil passing through the guides. I think they paid for themselves.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

thanks. How does the quality of the ones sold in this thread compare to the Porsche ones?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
thanks. How does the quality of the ones sold in this thread compare to the Porsche ones?

I have about 25K miles on mine so far. No problems to date.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:

8 mm or 10 mm, and are they the ones sold in this thread?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:

8 mm or 10 mm, and are they the ones sold in this thread?

The 10mm ones sold here
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

yeah I bought the 8 mm before the 10 mm were available. Maybe I'll sell them and the 8 mm rocker arm/shaft set etc., and replace with 10 mm.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
yeah I bought the 8 mm before the 10 mm were available. Maybe I'll sell them and the 8 mm rocker arm/shaft set etc., and replace with 10 mm.

If I had had all the stuff for the 8mm setup, I wouldn't have gone to the 10mm. Even the core engines I have around that were supposed to by 1700 have 10mm rocker setups.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:

If I had had all the stuff for the 8mm setup, I wouldn't have gone to the 10mm. Even the core engines I have around that were supposed to by 1700 have 10mm rocker setups.

I have 10 mm with screws on the bus and a very clean set of 8 mm rocker shafts complete with both the old set of screws and the new swivel feet. I am getting ready to put on Len's heads and am trying to decide which direction to go. I thought I had 10 mm swivels but they are 8 mm. I am leaning towards selling the whole set and finding some 10 mm swivels but I also don't want to destroy the only good 10 mm set of rocker arms I have. The 8 mm are lighter so technically they would perform better but I don't know.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

I think between tommu's ticky tacky 10mm swivel foot, and the grit that Colin reported, you'd want to keep the Porsche 8mm adjusters for their quality.

Are you really going to rev it high enough where rocker weight matters? What RPM would that be at? Cool
Robbie

Last edited by airschooled on Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

I think one of mine got sticky due to lack of lubrication. I pulled the pushrods, blew some air through them and assembly lube oozed out. I cleaned the sticky one, lubricated it till it felt smooth again and reinstalled. Everything sounds ok right now. Having said that - I would rather have Porsche adjusters.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

these came from Heiko.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

I understood Heiko was importing them from Thorsten Pieper.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
I understood Heiko was importing them from Thorsten Pieper.

and how do those compare to the Porsche ones? Thorsten Pieper is the company he named in the thread earlier.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: