Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
I will do some experimenting but first thing I will do is measure how far the original adjuster extend from the rocker in my current setting. Then I will see how far I can screw the new swivel foot adjuster in without inhibiting the swivel. I will measure the difference. The swivel foot is 10mm diameter and the thread in the rocker is M10. I think I can already make some room for the swivel and allow the adjuster to be screwed in deeper by countersinking the hole a little bit and then I will deploy the bigger tools like angle grinder, dremel and such...

I hope I can avoid using shims to not have to mess with the geometry at all.

I will keep you posted.
, Heiko
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

The 10mm swivel foot adjusters from Germany have arrived.
I won't be able to send out PMs for next three days (family vacation) but when I am back home I will contact everyone who has already asked to buy a set. The grand total for one set including shipping (within the US) is $85. A set will be eight adjuster in a small Ziploc bag. The rest will be advertised on thesamba. I have eleven sets.

Grertings
Heiko
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

Looking forward to updates regarding the installation and if there were any issues that needed to be addressed.

Still on board for a set.

Thanks again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

heiko910 wrote:
With those you won't have to find parts from 1.7l type 4. You can just keep your own rockers (1.8l or 2.0l) that run 10mm adjusters and after slightly modifying them add those swivel foot adjusters to the rocker set up. If you have any questions just let me know.

,Heiko

I had two 1974~75 VW 1800 Type 2, AP-Series engines, from which I have derived parts for my 1911 cm³, VW 17/1800 Type 4, modified hybrid engine, for my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2.

One of these engines had M8 x 1·0 mm valve-rocker adjustment screws, whilst the other had M10 x 1·0 mm valve-rocker adjustment screws.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
heiko910 wrote:
With those you won't have to find parts from 1.7l type 4. You can just keep your own rockers (1.8l or 2.0l) that run 10mm adjusters and after slightly modifying them add those swivel foot adjusters to the rocker set up. If you have any questions just let me know.

,Heiko

I had two 1974~75 VW 1800 Type 2, AP-Series engines, from which I have derived parts for my 1911 cm³, VW 17/1800 Type 4, modified hybrid engine, for my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2.

One of these engines had M8 x 1·0 mm valve-rocker adjustment screws, whilst the other had M10 x 1·0 mm valve-rocker adjustment screws.

Usually only the 1700 engines would have 8mm adjusters. The 1800 and 2000 have 10mm. Maybe some PO changed it in the past or some repair to the valve train was done and they used parts from a 1700 or someone had replaced the heads and used heads from a 1700.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

heiko910 wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
heiko910 wrote:

,Heiko

Usually only the 1700 engines would have 8mm adjusters. The 1800 and 2000 have 10mm. Maybe some PO changed it in the past or some repair to the valve train was done and they used parts from a 1700 or someone had replaced the heads and used heads from a 1700.

VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 engines are relatively rare in Great Britain.

Both of my 1974~75 VW 1800 Type 2, AP-Series engines, had VW 1800 Type 4 style engine cylinder heads, as indicated by the part numbers and the shape of the combustion chambers.

One engine, had a North American specification, 1975 VW 1800 Type 2 fuel-injected cylinder head, with the small valve sizes. This engine, with the M8 valve adjustment screws, appeared to be a high-mileage (crankshaft had alredy been reground twice), factory-reconditioned engine (as indicated by the two curved arrows surrounding a circular VW emblem and X-suffix at the end of the engine number).

Where is it stated that ALL 1974~75 VW 1800 Type 2 engines, were originally equipped with M10 x 1·0 mm valve adjustment screws?

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

It is mentioned in all service manuals (Robert Bentley) that I own. But there might be exceptions. As you said one engine was definitely rebuilt a couple of times. What if there was something wrong with the rockers and they ended up using rockers with 8mm adjusters.
But who knows for sure. They made so many different engines for many different markets.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

heiko910 wrote:
It is mentioned in all service manuals (Robert Bentley) that I own. But there might be exceptions. As you said one engine was definitely rebuilt a couple of times. What if there was something wrong with the rockers and they ended up using rockers with 8mm adjusters.
But who knows for sure. They made so many different engines for many different markets.

I must carefully check my second-hand, 4th Edition copy of the 1968~79 VW Type 2, Robert Bentley manual.

Several years ago, I discovered several erroneous errors and omissions in this edition, which I notified to Stan Wohlfarth at Robert Bentley Publishers. These were corrected for the 13th & 14th editions.

Although I find the Robert Bentley manual to be useful in many respects, there are significant differences between British and North American specification VW Type 2s; especially re engines and electrical, lighting, fuel, ignition and braking systems.

Nigel A. Skeet

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

Have the original ones from Porsche gone over 250.00 a set?
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

I guess if you're going to use new feet you'll need new or cleaned up valve stem tops. I wouldn't want these running on worn valve tops.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:

Type4store is selling them for more than $250. I've been looking for a decent price on a set.
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

Alright guys,
quick update. Four sets are sold. I have 7 available.
Send me a PM if you are interested.
I will wait a few days and maybe install a set and then post them in the classifieds.

Greetings,
Heiko

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
Hoody wrote:

Type4store is selling them for more than $250. I've been looking for a decent price on a set.

$239.60 (plus tax/shipping if applicable) from Aircooled.net right now. Almost $300 from the Porsche dealership (or more, depending on dealer.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

So, now we all know Porsche parts are expensive. With the OEM Porsche adjusters you also need rockers with 8mm thread. Most 1.8 and 2.0 type 4 engines had 10mm. That adds costs. The 8mm threaded rockers are usually available as used parts and run somewhere between $70-150. Make sure you get useable used parts.

The 10mm adjusters that I am trying to sell are not made by Porsche but by a reputable German Manufacturer. They have been on the market for three years and are being sold by a few European parts suppliers. Usually sell somewhere between 55-120 Euro range plus shipping. Cheapest I have seen for the individual set is 55 Euro plus 35Euro shipping. That is about $100.
Pick your poison. Go all out and buy Porsche parts and rockers or try some German part that is relatively new to the market and keep your stock rockers.

Merry Christmas,
Heiko
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

heiko910 wrote:
The 8mm threaded rockers are usually available as used parts and run somewhere between $70-150. Make sure you get useable used parts.

If that's true, it would probably be advisable to keep my spare second-hand set of M8 threaded rocker arms! Shocked

Nigel A. Skeet

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

heiko910 wrote:
So, now we all know Porsche parts are expensive. With the OEM Porsche adjusters you also need rockers with 8mm thread. Most 1.8 and 2.0 type 4 engines had 10mm. That adds costs. The 8mm threaded rockers are usually available as used parts and run somewhere between $70-150. Make sure you get useable used parts.

The 10mm adjusters that I am trying to sell are not made by Porsche but by a reputable German Manufacturer. They have been on the market for three years and are being sold by a few European parts suppliers. Usually sell somewhere between 55-120 Euro range plus shipping. Cheapest I have seen for the individual set is 55 Euro plus 35Euro shipping. That is about $100.
Pick your poison. Go all out and buy Porsche parts and rockers or try some German part that is relatively new to the market and keep your stock rockers.

Merry Christmas,
Heiko

so did they fit without any modifications?

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

Too bad that VW didn't go with swivel foot adjusters at the factory. I would guess that they would have had a quieter and more dependable engine had they done so. Factory cost of something like this would probably have added no more than $10 to the cost of the vehicle and saved thousands over its life.
JP6210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

I just put in for my set-

For a newbie bus owner... is there a spot where all the info to make the mods necessary is in one place? I am waiting for my new HAM heads in mid Jan, and will be using the right books for setting geometry, etc., but wondered if there is a write up- I have seen reference to a Raby write up, but the links are now dead- Thanks!

JP
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

JP6210 wrote:
I just put in for my set-

For a newbie bus owner... is there a spot where all the info to make the mods necessary is in one place? I am waiting for my new HAM heads in mid Jan, and will be using the right books for setting geometry, etc., but wondered if there is a write up- I have seen reference to a Raby write up, but the links are now dead- Thanks!

JP

The Type4um at Shoptalkforums.com is probably as good a source as any.
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

I will start the install tonight and will try to take pictures to document the modifications that I have to make. I assume it will be similar to the 8mm swivel foot adjusters, maybe a little easier since the foot and the threaded part have the same diameter. I might be able to get away with some counter sinking.

Will see tonight.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: