Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

I have been doing some research on updating the valve train of my 2.0 type 4 engine and I decided that I want to add solid spacers on my rocker shafts and I really want swivel foot adjusters.
Spacers are readily available: http://type4store.com/rocker-spacer-kit.html
but the swivel foot adjusters are a little more complicated.
First I would have to find a set of used rockers from a 1.7l type4 that accepts 8 mm adjusters since the 1.8 and 2.0 have 10 mm adjuster screws and swivel foot adjusters are only available in 8 mm (porsche OEM, SCAT, CB Performance, EMPI) and some 9mm for Brazilian VWs. Rockers from such are 1.7l engine are hard to find. I could get a used set for $100. The OEM Porsche 911 8 mm adjusters then will add another $180-$200 to the bill. I just wasn't sure how badly I want to update the valve train after seeing the price.
I kept looking and ended up searching on German webpages. BTW I am from Germany but live in Nevada.

I am happy to announce that I found a company in Germany that can supply me with sets of 10 mm swivel foot adjusters that fit the rocker arms of all 1.8 and 2.0 type 4 engines that need 10 mm adjusters.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The parts are Made in Germany (not the cheap Chinese stuff). I don't know exactly what the total price will be per set including shipping (should be around $75-80) but I am planning on finding out.
I am planning on buying a set for my own 1977 Type 2 but I want to see if there is more interest in this product. Maybe I can put together a group order and renegotiate the price.
If you are interested please send me an email or PM me.
thanks,
Heiko Laughing

Last edited by heiko910 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

Made in Germany sounds good. Please come back here in a couple years and let us know how well they are working for you. Lots of stuff on the market isn't worth buying, as you already know.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

you are right. I will try to get some tech data about that product... like hardness of the swivel foot and I will ask them about track record as well.
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

You know that there are still people out there that buy EMPI adjusters. I figured the made in Germany once can't be worse than EMPI. I will gladly use my bus as a test-bed.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

Yep, I've actually used FORD adjusters in the past. The Porsche ones are pricey and most of the others cause more harm than good. In fact, I'd rather stay with stock adjusters rather than use crappy swivel feets.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

I will give it a try. do you have any opinion on aluminum pushrods? they are supposed to be quieter. Ever used any?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

Good to see a possible product come to market here! Perhaps you could send your info along to a few vendors like AirCooled.net or BusDepot so they could inquire about volume pricing, distribution, and feedback once these adjusters have proven themselves. One bus does not a sample study make, but yes please let us know how they work for you.

From a reliable source in a PM… If he wishes to be identified here, I'm sure he'll chime in:

Quote:
Ford adusters have a stationary ball socket with a little ball inside whose bottom has a flat spot for contacting the valve. Sometimes the balls fall out, yes, but as importantly, you can accidentally rotate the stupid flat spot all the way around and adjust your valves to the sphere. This makes a sloppy adjustment and they like to then explode due to insufficient contact area inside the ball socket in the presence of the new hammering due to the lousy adjustment because the flat spot rotated while trying to adjust the valves.

As always in threads about swivel feet, DO NOT use them with hydraulic lifters. Even the best quality swivel feet adjusters need lash to properly lubricate themselves. The preload of a hydraulic lifter valve train is not compatible with swivel feet.

I look forward to your trials; thanks for being our canary down this coal mine.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

I posted about 10mm swivel foot adjusters a while back. Haven't gotten around to trying to order any. Do you think your supplier is selling the same parts or are they from a different source?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637598
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

One bus does not a sample study make, but yes please let us know how they work for you.

Heck, I'll be Bus #2 for the experiment. BobD can't use them, but this Westy's 2.0 has solid lifters, I'm in.
Colin
surfwagonorangevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

I found this ad a while back and bookmarked it http://www.typ4shop.de/product_info.php?info=p556_...enfu-.html
looks German to me
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

surfwagonorangevw wrote:
I found this ad a while back and bookmarked it http://www.typ4shop.de/product_info.php?info=p556_...enfu-.html
looks German to me

Yes , you are right, it is German. They look exactly like the once I found. The price is about double. I got in contact with the manufacturer and inquired about a bulk order. Will see what the total price will come out to be. It is a cnc machine shop that makes all kinds of high quality VW engine parts including type 4 and wbx cylinder heads. The valve adjusters are made out of tool steel.
I will keep you posted. I will for sure get a set for Colin and one for my Bus and then try them out.
I can't find the adjusters on the shop in the UK.
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

Alright everyone.
I came to an agreement with the manufacturer in Germany. I will be buying 12 sets of 10 mm swivel foot adjusters from him (as a test purchase to see how much demand we have here in the states), get them shipped here and then I will be posting them as an ad on www.thesamba.com classifieds.

He told me that he has been producing them for a little over three years and has been running them in his own VWs ever since. The adjusters have been sold to vendors all over Europe including UK. So, most likely the adjuster at
http://www.statesidetuning.co.uk/newproducts.html are made by my supplier and also
http://www.typ4shop.de/product_info.php?info=p556_...enfu-.html

Those vendors are selling them for quite a high price.

I will come up with a reasonable price for a set and you will be able to purchase them from me on thesamba.com

I was asked by Colin to point out that those swivel foot adjuster are not meant to be used with hydraulic lifters. They are only suitable with solid lifters.
I will keep you posted and let you know as soon as I have them available.

Greetings,
Heiko

heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

oh, I forgot to mention. I will also do a test install and see how they fit. If I have to grind down material of the rocker arms to compensate for the height of the swivel foot I will make sure to let you know how much material I had to remove. If I am in a very good mood I will even turn it into a video. Laughing
,Heiko
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

heiko910 wrote:
oh, I forgot to mention. I will also do a test install and see how they fit. If I have to grind down material of the rocker arms to compensate for the height of the swivel foot I will make sure to let you know how much material I had to remove. If I am in a very good mood I will even turn it into a video. Laughing
,Heiko

Take a look 9k at the install details for Porsche type 8mm adjusters in 1.7 rocker armw for a starting point. I think .065" is the baseline. Ray
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

Put me down for a set. Nice work on finding these.
bgannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

Put me down for a set for my 74 bay window w/ 1800 cc engine.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
heiko910 wrote:
,Heiko

Take a look 9k at the install details for Porsche type 8mm adjusters in 1.7 rocker armw for a starting point. I think .065" is the baseline. Ray

The limit to grinding rockers is when you veer close to the oil feed drilling and weld plug. Are the 10mm rockers identical castings to the 8mm?
Colin
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
heiko910 wrote:
,Heiko

The limit to grinding rockers is when you veer close to the oil feed drilling and weld plug. Are the 10mm rockers identical castings to the 8mm?
Colin

I don't know if they are identical yet. Will keep you posted once I receive them.
,Heiko
surfwagonorangevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

Colin asked -- Are the 10mm rockers identical castings to the 8mm?
I have both in the garage and will take a look , imagine they will be very close .
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 Reply with quote

surfwagonorangevw wrote:
Colin asked -- Are the 10mm rockers identical castings to the 8mm?
I have both in the garage and will take a look , imagine they will be very close .

where are you getting the 10 mm once from. Have you actually run them in a type 4 engine?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: