Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WW Alternator Conversion Kit
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FMbranden38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:08 pm    Post subject: WW Alternator Conversion Kit Reply with quote

Having issues w/ generator & voltage regulator on '71 bus and need to sort it out.

Noticed Wolfsburg West had this alternator conversion kit: https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111998010

Anyone have experience w/ this? Thoughts? Anything additional needed?

Safer to just stick w/ replacing the generator & voltage regulator?

Thanks!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Alternator Conversion Kit Reply with quote

How many miles do you figure you will put on your rig during your ownership? Do you have much in the way of added loads? I went with a new Bosch generator on my Thing a few years back because it was fast and cheap and will likely last out my ownership and then some.
FMbranden38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Alternator Conversion Kit Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
How many miles do you figure you will put on your rig during your ownership? Do you have much in the way of added loads? I went with a new Bosch generator on my Thing a few years back because it was fast and cheap and will likely last out my ownership and then some.

Honestly just a Sunday driver and maybe a few mountain trips here and there. Nothing wild. And besides a new wiring harness, there's no major changes to the original electrical load.

Only reason I was considering a proposed change was the similar cost of buying the conversion kit vs. a new generator/regulator.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Alternator Conversion Kit Reply with quote

I can't answer your question because there are a lot of people with alternators vs generators. If you go that route I think there are a couple changes, and you will need to set up the fan and shroud properly. That said, I went 700,000 miles in my 1971 using a generator and had to replace it only once. Usually generator problems are caused by worn out brushes. Have you checked and replaced them?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: WW Alternator Conversion Kit Reply with quote

FMbranden38 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Honestly just a Sunday driver and maybe a few mountain trips here and there. Nothing wild. And besides a new wiring harness, there's no major changes to the original electrical load.

Only reason I was considering a proposed change was the similar cost of buying the conversion kit vs. a new generator/regulator.

My Thing uses the smaller generator which was available new for a good price, I believe the larger generators that the buses used are only available as a rebuild and I don't know what they cost. If you check your brushes every year or so and don't let them wear down so far that they no longer protrude from the brush holder as SGKent says generators will last a long time. Note that in my experience the harder to see bottom brush wears the fastest. As of a couple of years ago, NAPA still stocked the brushes for the smaller generator, don't know if they are the same ones used for the larger generator or not.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: WW Alternator Conversion Kit Reply with quote

It depends on what's in your bus now. You might end up with a lot of
extra unneeded parts, with that WW kit. Stock 69-71 busses had 38-amp
Bosch generator, which are now very rare (as well as some associated parts).
If your bus is bone-stock, you could probably do without the fuel pump and
carb spacer. Alternator will interfere with 34 PICT-3 accel pump linkage if it
is not one that has been modified to work with the alternators VW put in later
bug engines - requires a very small dimple to be made in alt. body. If you already have
the common 30A generator, all you need is the alt and the stand.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: WW Alternator Conversion Kit Reply with quote

What issues? You might be better off fixing what you have.
qwerty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: WW Alternator Conversion Kit Reply with quote

jbugs has GR17X
https://www.jbugs.com/product/GR17X.html?msclkid=353923dc49f5175cadb5401298bc944c
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: