Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 412 these days..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

It was a toggle switch. Spit and chewing gum. I dont have a switch for reference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
It was a toggle switch. Spit and chewing gum. I dont have a switch for reference.

So....how many wires to that toggle switch? Was it just a two wire running the headlights?.....or also running the marker lights?

Take a look at the thread......"411-412 headlight switch service and repair"......its about 7 lines up from the bottom of the page.

If you match up your year with the wiring diagram in the Haynes to get a year mark for what your wiring diagram "should" be. The switch that matches up with anything that is 412 (not 411) and is US spec......but NOT 1974. So that is listed by Haynes as VW 411 to include early 412......as FROM August of 1971. That part number of switch should be 411 941 531 A. There are at least three versions of this switch.....one that CAN fit both US 411 and US 412 up to August of 1973......but it really depends on which wires you have to run to the switch.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

The wires were in a nest of wire nuts, tape and tie wraps to the toggle switch. I have the color wiring diagram from the samba hanging on the wall. At this point, I am at a loss what my switch is.

I DID just find what I believe to be the 'body' of my original switch. It was acttually in my door panel. Here it is: (or was)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are 7 terminals on it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Yep....that should be the one. Now....the queation is....why did the PO believe it needed to be replaced?
Do you have the knob or a knob you can actuate the switch with?

Read through that thread. This part....just like the gas flap cable is one of those that really needs to have preventative work done on unless you want to try to retrofit a tylpe 3 switch. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

What you see is what I have. Well, except for a sliver shaft attached to nothing. It must of self-destructed and they never found the parts. I read the rebuild string and have none of the insides. Plus, there is no hole behind my switch body. Ugh.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
What you see is what I have. Well, except for a sliver shaft attached to nothing. It must of self-destructed and they never found the parts. I read the rebuild string and have none of the insides. Plus, there is no hole behind my switch body. Ugh.

No...thats good. The one with the hole sucks. And...unless that switch has been disassembled...the guts should be in it. If the shaft is the around....even without knob....you can screw it in and see if the switch slides at all.

If its never been opened....it can likely be refurbed. I have spare knobs if you need one. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

That's all I have. Crying or Very sad The terminals just lift off the top and expose the inside of the switch body which is empty.

I just laid the brown part of the switch on top of the body for reference. It has no guts in it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
That's all I have. Crying or Very sad The terminals just lift off the top and expose the inside of the switch body which is empty.

I just laid the brown part of the switch on top of the body for reference. It has no guts in it.

Ah...get it now. I will see what I have for spares when I get home. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Thanks a million!
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

I have this switch with my 412 accessories. Not sure what it is. It does pull on and off like a headlight switch.

Can it be retrofitted to act as a headlight?

- Ron
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

That "should" be an emergency flasher switch....but looks like its missing a couple of contacts
I will have to check the part # and diagram. Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

I cant find that part #.....411 959 631.....anywhere. its clear its a light switch. Its alwo clear its type 4.....both from part # and from the long snout. Its housing is definitely emergency flasher.

It should have 6 or 7 terminals plus the ground terminal on the side. Its not in the parts book. I will look around.
Ray

EDIT: Just dug up a number.......111 959 631 is a heated front windshield switch for late bus.

Also the stock rear window heater grid switch for 411/412 is 411 959 621.

And.....interestingly enough......the parts group "959".....is for the fresh air fan/front defroster air box assembly on the 411/412. This may be an accessory switch for something non-US. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Another interesting thing is that it has two positions when you pull it out (just like the headlight switch would for parking lights and main lights)

It's mounted under the Eberspacher heater switch.
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
Another interesting thing is that it has two positions when you pull it out (just like the headlight switch would for parking lights and main lights)

It's mounted under the Eberspacher heater switch.

Any symbol on the face of the knob?

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
kgarchivinusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

It is a fog light Switch.

Greetings Lutz
1968 VW 411 4-door royal red
1968 VW 411 L 4-door cobaltblue
1988 Porsche 924S Targa alpinweiss

(O = i = O) Karmann Ghia rassig und charmant [hot-blooded and charming] [O o\ i /o O]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

kgarchivinusa wrote:

It is a fog light Switch.

Greetings Lutz

Ooooooh .....very cool! Thank you for the translation! Something new ro learn every day!
Ray
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Would the guts of a Type 3 switch be of any use rebuilding yours?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Would the guts of a Type 3 switch be of any use rebuilding yours?

Actually....the type 3 switch is functiojally identical.....as well as one type 1 switch as well
.....but....you have to do the mod to make an extender for the snout.

Note that the differences between type 1, 2, 3 headlight switches and emergency flasher switches....and yes.....fog light switches. ....is the length of the barrel that bears against the back of the dash.
This difference is critical for the type 4 because the switches. ...are in recessed cone shaped valleys in the back of the dash. Its most critical for the headlight switch because the wires will contact the metal dash unit and its the fastest way to light your car on fire under the dash.

Its not ro hard of a mod to do.....but finding the tap that fits the screw bezel is difficult.

I detailed this difference in my 411/412 switch thread. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

Thanks all, I think I found a headlight switch. Once I get it, I'll refurb it as best as possible via the thread here.

Now, tail light to body seals are a PITA. I ordered 2 SB seals from 'J* Bu*g*s. Nothing like the simgle one I have. They are sub-par and cost over $18. If I can't find a better quality, I'm back to square 1.

Any suggestions as to how to adhere the seal to the housing? I tried RTV black. Total shitshow. Was thinking of a clear adhesive and utilize masking tape to hold seals sto the housing while the adhesive cures. Then, I'm going to have to glue the ends of the seal once they butt up to each other.
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 412 these days.. Reply with quote

FINALLY! I found a few pairs of 73-79 Beetle/SB tail light seals (German) and they worked awesome. The Brazilian type don't fit.

Here is how it came out:

I needed two late model beetle seals per 412 taillight. I used crazy glue to tack the seal on to the housing. I used maskimg tape to hold seal on snug until the glue set.

After the glue set, i did a test fit. Worked awesome:

I even wet them down to ensure no water got in the assembly. Dry as a bone. Very happy with my setup!

A highly recommended fix.
Ikenupi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 22

Jump to: