Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is anyone using silicone wiper blades?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Is anyone using silicone wiper blades? Reply with quote

Up here in the mountain desert , the UV rays will eat your wiper blades in no time at all. I have heard the silicone version lasts much much longer but I am afraid to try them because the weak VW wiper arms are so notorious for failing under excessive loads.
Does anyone know if these wipers offer more resistance than the normal ones?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is anyone using silicone wiper blades? Reply with quote

On a wet windshield I would doubt that their was much difference in the drag. On a dry windshield I have no idea how the drag would compare. Do the washer mod under the attachment nut on your wiper arm and the wiper arm stripping problem will mostly disappear. Find a hardware store that stocks MidWest fastener products, their 10mm washer work fine for the mod.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is anyone using silicone wiper blades? Reply with quote

From the internet:

"PIAA windshield wiper blades are made with silicone rubber, which ensures greater visibility by coating the windshield with silicone to promote continuous water beading in inclement weather. The effect is similar to popular windshield coatings but without the hazy side effects. Water beads up into droplets at low speeds that are easily removed by ordinary wiping. At higher speeds, wind pressure pushes the water off the windshield, often without even requiring wiper use.
The silicone rubber is also twice as durable as traditional rubber, allowing them to perform better over a longer period of time. Plus, the Aero Vogue and Super Silicone blades are refillable with our wiper refills.
PIAA wiper blades maintain a sharp, clean edge and offer better wear resistance in all climates."

from TireRack.com
1. Prior to wiper use, prepare windshield according to the instructions included in the Windshield Preparation Kit.
2. Run blades "dry" for 5 minutes to complete windshield preparation. This spreads initial silicone coating on the windshield.
3. Wiping action makes windshield water-repellant, so rain beads up.
4. Water is removed by the wipers at low to moderate speeds (super-smooth glide eliminates annoying chattering and squeaking).
5. Water is removed by wind pressure at moderate to high speeds.

Silicone can be used as a lubricant. I would assume that there would be less drag, wet or dry.

What about snow? Would there be less snow and ice buildup on silicone wipers? Or does that depend more on the design of the blade holder?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yukon Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is anyone using silicone wiper blades? Reply with quote

Using the PIAA blades on my wife's Outback and I have been happy with them, not a huge noticeable difference in performance, my main interest was the refillable blade inserts.

Will be ordering some up for my van this winter so will see how they do. Thanks for the tip Wildthings on the washer mod will look into that!
1987 1.6 TD (JX) 1.9 TD (AAZ) Syncro Transporter Tintop with front and back lockers - Escorial Green. Got a North American High Top buried in snow waiting for a spring, summer when-oh-when-lord install.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is anyone using silicone wiper blades? Reply with quote

I switched to the "spar" type blades with silicone wipers on several other vehicles. I think they perform better, but they do catch more wind at freeway speeds. The traditional blades with the removable inserts are lower wind profile and also let air through them. Because of this, I have not switched on the Vanagon which has needed work on the arms as many others experienced.

Since I live in a winter climate, I also worried that the larger unitized spar designs would catch and hold more snow when parked overnight, placing a premium on remembering to lift the wipers for the night (and remembering not to poke your eye out walking by it in the morning).

They are superior in overall performance, and replace the rubber booted winter wiper blades I have also been purchasing. However, sometimes when I'm standing in line looking at them, I think to myself "Really? I'm about to purchase a pair of wipers for $38?" Just when I was getting used to a cup of coffee for $4, along comes this asymmetric expense. Mind you, I've been through 25 years of purchasing the rubber inserts for my Toyotas for $3 apiece or so. So this kills me to do.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: