Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Nice axles, where did you get them?

I was going to go with rebuilt ones from auto zone for $50 each side.

-replacing my transaxle soon.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Hotsam Reply with quote

Amazon buy:

Drivetech America VW20050 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M18PMK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_MtufybBA10TNM

Probably Chinese - don't care.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hotsam Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:
Amazon buy:

Drivetech America VW20050 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M18PMK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_MtufybBA10TNM

Probably, just like EMPI.

However I don't think I'll break them with 50 HP. Lol

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Hotsam Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
hotsam wrote:
Amazon buy:

Probably, just like EMPI.

However I don't think I'll break them with 50 HP. Lol

I believe I used the same brand on my Subaru Legacy GT without any problems. For basic stuff like this, Autozone quality is just fine.
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Ok fellas...ran into a problem.

My car has slowly been running worse - idles fine, stumbles on acceleration. Today it won't accelerate at all. Car has been timed correctly (I think - static timed it and also used a strobe).

I replaced the condenser, because I had one. Adjusted the points. No improvement. Fuel filter has been replaced. I believe the next step is to adjust the valves...perhaps they've slowly been getting out of spec. I'll also replace the spark plugs this weekend since it's easy to do.

What else should I be looking at? I don't believe it is a carb issue, since I have a Volksbitz carb with maybe 2k miles on it.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Wouldn't hurt to double check and make sure the accelerator pump is working.

Sometimes even rebuilt things fail, could be clogged or a fault diaphragm.

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Replaced the spark plugs - old set looks like the car is running rich - no improvement
Replaced the condenser because I had never touched it - no improvement
Replaced the distributor cap (had one on the shelf) - no improvement
Replaced the coil (had a China-spec on the shelf) - slight improvement
Adjusted the valves - no improvement
Checked the timing - looks good
Replaced the points with a cheap Carquest set - FIXED

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

It's fun like that!

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

So I put on a degree pulley today, which isn't interesting because who hasn't seen that.

But for those of you who bought a Humvee seatbelt kit, and don't know what to do with the box of stuff that's left over, you can use it to make yourself a quick-n-dirty pulley puller - and remove the pulley with the engine still in the car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Looks like a great rust free bug especially for up here! If you don't mind me asking, how much was this rust free bug? If you'd rather not post then you don't need to answer, I'm just curious.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

$2k. The seller had received many offers, but they kept falling through. I was told to offer anything over $2k, I said "$2k and I'll pick it up this weekend", and they agreed.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

That's a seriously great deal for that bug!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

OK, so my master cylinder was leaking all over the place. I ordered a good German replacement from Wolfsburg West, bench bled it and installed it. While I was at it I replaced the front wheel cylinders and the hard lines that go to them. Everything went together fine - no leaks so far.

So now I'm bleeding the system. I've adjusted the brakes so they're nice and tight, and I've gravity bled them and there's no more bubbles coming out (let each corner go for about 20 minutes or so). I gravity bled everything twice, tapping on the lines and cylinders to make sure any air that can get out gets out. The pedal is still not firm, but I'm not expecting it to be yet.

Tomorrow I'll pressure bleed them with a Motive Power Bleeder. How many cycles does this usually take? I've read anything from 5 minutes per wheel to 7 hours.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

I just gravity bled, starting with the fronts. Then I had my daughter help press and hold the brake pedal while a turned the bleeders--starting with the rears.

I do remember her pumping a few times to get the pedal up before she signaled me to open the bleeders as she held the pedal down.

The gravity bleeds were about 20 minutes each, using the clear tube and partially filled bottle method.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

I gotta say, I love the Motive Power Bleeder. The cap was a perfect fit with no leaks. Simply pump it up to 10 psi and bleed away. I used the RF/LF/RR/LR method. I adjusted the brakes nice and tight, bled (takes like 30 seconds per bleeder), adjusted again, and re-bled. The brakes are now nice and firm.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:
I gotta say, I love the Motive Power Bleeder. The cap was a perfect fit with no leaks. Simply pump it up to 10 psi and bleed away. I used the RF/LF/RR/LR method. I adjusted the brakes nice and tight, bled (takes like 30 seconds per bleeder), adjusted again, and re-bled. The brakes are now nice and firm.

I have the same one, did you install disk brakes on the front?

I don't remember.

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
hotsam wrote:

I don't remember.

No I didn't. But I gotta say, I'm getting sick of adjusting the drums. And my wife is going out of town for a week soon....might be time for a stealth buy and install Twisted Evil
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:
Mr.Duncan wrote:
hotsam wrote:

I don't remember.

No I didn't. But I gotta say, I'm getting sick of adjusting the drums. And my wife is going out of town for a week soon....might be time for a stealth buy and install Twisted Evil

Jon @ Topline has a really good kit, to save a future headache pay the extra cash for TRW calipers. (I went through 4 of the gold china calipers with leaking bleeder screws due to over-torque from the factory)

Wish I got the TRW ones first! lol

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

Yes, I've checked out their kit (I have their lowering springs installed already). I'd go for the better calipers for sure.
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: New Member/Owner - '71 Super in MA Reply with quote

So I'm going to be pulling the gas tank to replace the fuel line - is there anything else I could/should do while it's out?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: