Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making a working hood on a Manx body
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vogel78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Making a working hood on a Manx body Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm kicking around the idea of making a functional hood for my Manx body buggy. As you guys already know they don't have a hood that opens so I'm trying to see if anyone has attempted to cut the hood in front of the windshield, add some reinforcement, hinges and a latch and have an actual hood that opens and closes. If anyone has any advice or has successfully accomplished this I'd love to get some details from you on it. Thanks in advance.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a working hood on a Manx body Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=356196

even the same color!
Vogel78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a working hood on a Manx body Reply with quote

Very nice thanks for the link. That's exactly what I want to do. I'm concerned about getting stress cracks in the fiberglass and compromising the integrity of the body. Have you had any problems with this modification?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a working hood on a Manx body Reply with quote

Why..... What is there that needs acess?....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Vogel78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a working hood on a Manx body Reply with quote

I want to put the fuel tank back up front so I have room to install a bench seat in the back. I'd like to have easy access to the tank once it's relocated to ease with service. It would also give a little more room for storage.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Making a working hood on a Manx body Reply with quote

And what "service" does tank need?..... And If your buggy is like mine there is no room for storage once tank is up front....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Making a working hood on a Manx body Reply with quote

If you want full under hood access but not loose the additional strength and rigidity which bolting the hood onto the body provides, using cam-loks and doing it like this, is a better design.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5503158

Vogel78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Making a working hood on a Manx body Reply with quote

OK that makes sense. I would just want to use the trunk space for storage also and having to completely remove the hood and finding a place to store it while in a parking lot while loading a couple items doesn't sound practical. I like the idea though. Maybe I'll make the same cuts but install hinges on the top part so it still flips up. That would make it more easily accessible. Thanks for the idea.
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Making a working hood on a Manx body Reply with quote

Meyers used to sell a kit in the early days of the Manx Club. The inside was reinforced and the headlights were moved onto the hood so that they wouldn't get in the way.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a working hood on a Manx body Reply with quote

look at how the Kick-out and Manxter hood is done.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a working hood on a Manx body Reply with quote

Putting the hinges to the front prevents a blowup due to to a latch or brain failure!

(With way more projects than spare time!)
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a working hood on a Manx body Reply with quote

The Manxter hood is simple and elegant, but it's become one of my favorite features of this buggy. The hood hinges from the front, on a simple pin and socket type hinge. The hood is latched from the rear with rubber T-handle fasteners, and can be easily removed in seconds by two people. The headlights are mounted to the hood, and I have mine connected to the chassis electrical system with weatherpack connectors for quick separation. The system used on the Kick Out Manx model is very similar.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a working hood on a Manx body Reply with quote

Seems like alot of work for the minimal amount of storage space you get.
parmaynu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Making a working hood on a Manx body Reply with quote

This is the best design in my opinion

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Making a working hood on a Manx body Reply with quote

Gee, why does that remind me.of a VW???

(With way more projects than spare time!)
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Making a working hood on a Manx body Reply with quote

Vogel78 wrote:
OK that makes sense. I would just want to use the trunk space for storage also and having to completely remove the hood and finding a place to store it while in a parking lot while loading a couple items doesn't sound practical. I like the idea though. Maybe I'll make the same cuts but install hinges on the top part so it still flips up. That would make it more easily accessible. Thanks for the idea.

Installing hinges on a curved panel can be difficult. You probably don't want them protruding from the top of the hood so they'd have to be a hidden offset design so the panel doesn't just bind as it opens.

Even to provide a big enough access hole to remove and install the gas tank, the panel wouldn't be so large that it couldn't be very easily removed and set aside. It would be very light. A hinge would complicate the job for little if any advantage.

Here's another which provided full under hood access including tank removal. You can see the finished hood here https://bimelliott.shutterfly.com/628

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5046939

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: