Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super Beetle strut tower layback for extra caster
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Super Beetle strut tower layback for extra caster Reply with quote

Folks, I am considering relocating the strut towers on my '75 rack and pinion Super 25mm rearwards to provide more caster. I also have some other ideas about getting extra caster into the chassis with machined sway bar mounts.

This car will replace my present BJ/IRS car used for hill-climb/motorsport

Wheels will be 15x6-inch 37P to retain the steering axis offset

Has anyone attempted similar?
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle strut tower layback for extra caster Reply with quote

Why not just buy a caster adjusting sway bar, or caster adjusting sway bar bushings. A lot easier, a lot cheaper.

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle strut tower layback for extra caster Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
Why not just buy a caster adjusting sway bar, or caster adjusting sway bar bushings. A lot easier, a lot cheaper.

Been there, done that... short swaybars are expensive. I've designed a swaybar mount kit that provides more caster than the offset bushes but my labour is free (for me, anyway!) and unpicking a few welds is hardly difficult

Last edited by VWCOOL on Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle strut tower layback for extra caster Reply with quote

In that case I would machine the sway bar to be shorter to give extra caster.

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle strut tower layback for extra caster Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
In that case I would machine the sway bar to be shorter to give extra caster.

Big machine required to set up the swaybar...? I can get a bar custom-made.. but I'd rather layback the struts as it is cheaper and easier and retains standard components

I'm also looking for more caster than those bolt-on methods provide so I can reduce the amount of static neg camber
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle strut tower layback for extra caster Reply with quote

I bought a pair of these for to help with camber. I posted it on the Superbeetle's only Facebook site and someone else contacted the manufacuter and they cut the slots out the other way for caster.

I have not installed the plates yet, but they were shipped from Poland pretty quick.

http://silverproject.eu/en/product-category/vw-2/suspension-vw/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle strut tower layback for extra caster Reply with quote

Some brands of replacement/performance strut tops (such as K-Mac made here in Australia) offer adjustment for both camber and caster, but only as far as the constraints of the strut tower allows... in other words, only as far as the point where components such as tops and springs collide with the strut tower

Relocating the strut tower gets around this problem...but are there any drawbacks?
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle strut tower layback for extra caster Reply with quote

Isn't increasing the castor going to increase oversteer tendencies? Confused
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle strut tower layback for extra caster Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
Isn't increasing the castor going to increase oversteer tendencies? Confused

I will be using Porsche spring plates so will have adjustable rear camber - plus an adjustable rear sway-bar - to help dial-in the chassis balance
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: