Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi side mirrors
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonyorlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Empi side mirrors Reply with quote

Id like to know if anyone has used Empi side mirrors? I really dont like the stock mirror. My car has been painted so I dont really want to drill any holes.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-4591

Id like to use this mirror, but I havent been able to find anything about if they would work on a ghia. My car is a 72 btw.

I searched on here with no luck also.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: empi side mirrors Reply with quote

Large functional...out of keeping with a classic car. Something in chrome would fit in better IMO.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: empi side mirrors Reply with quote

I had two different Ghias that I purchased come with those mirrors. I don't think they fit the car. They are too modern looking.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Empi side mirrors Reply with quote

I know I had them, probably still have a set in the garage somewhere. Those were on probably half the ghias in southern california....in the 80's Embarassed
Called them Baby tornados back then.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi side mirrors Reply with quote

I dont care so much for the stubby door mirror. So i went with the beetle convertible style , with a longer arm and it fits the ghia door socket.

http://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/exteriormirrors/side-view-mirror-left-151857501

Talbots are a nice period correct option:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi side mirrors Reply with quote

I have the Empi Spyder ones..They came with the car and are pure garbage..I've tried to fix the driver's side a few times and something else cracks..I cant really go back to stock because the PO drilled a hole to accept the longer plastic mounting bracket..
Be warned for these cheap-ass $20 parts
sirzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi side mirrors Reply with quote

I'm still none the wiser in mirror selection.

I have 2 later model coupes (1969 & 1970) both originally LHD which will be made into RHD.

I'd like matching left and right period correct mirrors that will be both functional. I have had Talbot reproduction mirrors offered to me, but the left hand mirror ( our passenger side) would be fitted just for looks and symmetry!

I have spent mega hours searching on forums, both here and elsewhere, but there does not seem to be any definitive word on the best option. Even House of Ghia seems to not make any clear recommendations.

Is there anyone who can chime in with a recommendation for a set that is covered by the the following criteria:
- cost: up to $300 (AUS) a pair, so probably quality reproduction,
- functionality: both mirrors useful to the driver, even if modification is needed,
- mounting position: either fender or door,
- period correctness: like John et all have indicated: chrome or stainless steel,
- style: don't really care: either:Talbot, Swan neck or original style. Preference in order listed.

I would like to make a decision before one of these cars goes to paint.

One of them has come with those butt ugly black plastic mirrors from the 80s!

Anyone?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi side mirrors Reply with quote

fes and sirzo- have you considered the original-style swan neck on the doors, so that you can hopefully use at least one of the holes already there; and the swan base would cover the other hole? The swan neck is not correct for your years but would be "era" correct.

Moogie32 did that on her '63, though only on the driver's side door:

I did this on my '64, on both doors. The right mirror is fully in view from my driving perspective and is useful especially with the top up.

Another possibility that would look "period suitable" would be this, for a Porsche 356: http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-aero-Mirror-356-Parts-PN-RNLA73100200.html
Tonyorlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi side mirrors Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies!

Ive de chromed my car, all the trim is black now. I kinda like the modern look, the remind me of something off of a late 70s porsche.

They do look very cheaply made, and thanks for the warning Fes. I figured for how cheap they are it wouldnt break me to buy one and try it, as long as I dont have to drill any holes. I wondered if I could drill holes on the new backing plate to match the original holes?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi side mirrors Reply with quote

Tony, I went into your gallery to find a photo of your painted door (nice color- "champagne"- from what car is it?).

I don't remember- Are the small outer holes threaded for machine screws? Most of the "flag" style aftermarket mirrors like the one you might pursue have the stem of the mirror shaft coming down the base. On the better mirrors that stem has a nut and spring on it to tighten so that the mirror head does not easily swing back when the car is at highway speeds and the wind hits the flag surface. The base mounting rail of the aftermarket mirror relies on holes drilled in the door far apart front/rear for stability. You "might" be able to fit the base rail over your original holes so that the two machine screws are still usable. You could try to find a used mirror in the style you like so that you can experiment. If you end up being able to use the original door mounting holes then you can buy a new mirror. Just make sure that the mirror is designed to have a base and mirror stem that goes on a nearly vertical door surface like the Ghia.
sirzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Empi side mirrors Reply with quote

To Rome: really thanks for the suggestion of the 356 style aero mirrors and the Swan mirrors mounted on the doors. Great suggestions which gives me something to look into.

To Tony: sorry for the little hijack about the mirrors, but I'd like to take the opportunity to say how much I enjoy reading your Type 4 project thread. Your attention to detail is superb! I particularly loved your inter cooler vents with the extension box into the luggage area. Great work on the Tachometer conversion.

Also, IMO, your paint choice looks classy and really ties in the classic and modern themes together. Cudos to you mate!

I'm moving slow on my projects, mostly because of work/family issues and also because I want to make sure I have everything I need etc before the paint gets done. Hopefully I will start posting stuff in the New Year.
Tonyorlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi side mirrors Reply with quote

Digging this back up, I am getting back into my ghia project after a year. I partted out a 77 firebird and kept the mirror. Holding it up to the car, it fits the body well. its from a 70-81 Pontiac Firebird.

I just figured I would post this incase someone was trying to find a mirror for their car.

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi side mirrors Reply with quote

Tonyorlo wrote:
Digging this back up, I am getting back into my ghia project after a year.

... has it been a year?

Shocked

bnc
Tonyorlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi side mirrors Reply with quote

Almost 2 years actually, time goes by too fast.

I'm going try to get it mounted soon. I'll post a picture when I do.
Tonyorlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi side mirrors Reply with quote

I drilled a few holes in the firebird mirror mount and put it on, I didn't have to modify the door. The mirror has cables to adjust it from the inside, I will probably remove them and adjust it from the outside. I think it looks good myself.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: