Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Yeh, definitely a superb effort!! and while he was at it I got him to take care of another bit I needed sorting ...........

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

......... and then it was time to fit big bits of bus together again.

The rear end obviously wasn't going to completely finish the bus, mainly because of the amount of rot in the right hand side,

but with some repairs carried out, some new rear tubs fitted, and some nice donor pieces of rear end metal work which came from another old chopped up '52 panel,

this old girl was finally looking like a bus again ........... but ..........the long side now had windows!!

One of the biggest problems I faced with this project was what to do about the long side, which had pretty much returned to the earth where it had sat buried for so many years. I did consider all new panels from AutoCraft & KF but really I wanted some OG Volkswagen metal, and ideally some old gnarly paint. Florian came up trumps with a complete long side from an old Barndoor. No it isn't dove blue, and yes it has windows, but the old paint on my bus is so rough and multi-coloured that I can make this panel work with it's assorted shades and its primer showing through, and the window section can be drilled out, unpicked and replaced with a new fabricated panel. For a short time though I have a Barndoor panel / kombi Laughing

but this side will be dealt with .......

and I think that this side was well worth all the effort in saving the old metal!

Last edited by busben on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Simply, WOW..

Whatever you're paying your metal guys, it isn't enough!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Demian_S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Great work, Jeff, Mark and Ben Cool
Moosehead3333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Good work!
Ben, when will you update the quality sound dlx thread? It has been a long time since the last one!
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

More inspirational stuff - yet again I'm blown away by some skilled craftsmen - great work and great recording of it all too Smile

Cheers, Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

This is coming together way quicker than I thought it would. Jeff is just superb! It's so great to see so much og metal being used, way better than replacing it with repro metal

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
This is coming together way quicker than I thought it would. Jeff is just superb! It's so great to see so much og metal being used, way better than replacing it with repro metal

X2 Cool so the bus will running next week then, ben?
&
VWKernzentrale since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

wow, what a great progress! Shocked Applause

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Yeh we're getting there but it won't quite be ready by next week Ben! The bus is pretty much tacked together in these photos and still a lot of work to check and double check every measurement before it all gets properly welded up.

Moosehead3333, the Quality Sound build has been a bit slow the last few months due to no spare time but we'll hopefully be back on it during March and try and push it forward. Hopefully you'll have some updates soon!

Anyway, back to this old girl, and we got the long side fixed up and looking like a panel van...........

The window long side as it was, tacked into position

and then with the spot welds all drilled out and both the inner and outer window frames cut out and removed to leave just the internal pillars. We cut the bare minimum for a nice neat fix so the swage line and semaphore hole, etc. were left in position

next we got this repair piece folded up

and welded into position

All welds cleaned up and we have a panel van again!

Last edited by busben on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
rumpnisse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Insane... Love it! Applause
52panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Hey i'm just glad they fitted Very Happy
Really happy to play a small part in such a cool and rare bus's restoration and loved seeing it in the metal too!

Amazing work Ben and Jeff Applause , really looking forward to seeing the end result!!

Instagram - rustykohlruss
The Rascals Cats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Amazing job guys .... Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hellberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Idea
chris67bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Amazing Ben, can't get enough of this work, craftmanship of the highest quality. Curiousity does compell me to ask... what was the story with the chopped up '52, surely you guys didn't do it? Laughing
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

haha, correct Chris, you know me too well! I don't know the history of either of the buses that gave up donor metal for this one, but was lucky enough to be contacted about some of the parts. I guess that whilst it seems a shame, many buses have met their end over the years and gone on to help save others. Better than rusting away or being squashed into a cube and recycled like a modern scrap car I suppose, and definitely helped with this old girl.
Lazaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

chris67bug wrote:
what was the story with the chopped up '52, surely you guys didn't do it? Laughing

I did Rolling Eyes
Was surely a restorable bus but the front clip is now on my early 51 with many other sections, the rear end helped ben's 52 and what is left will help saving my 52 deluxe, so it was worth it... (At least i try to convince myself Smile )

The 53 section used for the long side, is also from a bus I cut a few years back in Sweden. But that one was very bad.

We can't save them all Wink
At least not using original parts. Idea
spit nolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Bloody hell Ben that's coming a long well!! Good work! What you done with that inner window panel that's now gone then?!

RSVP VW
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

Dude I did have a bunch of window panels but some Welsh guy raided my stash recently Cool I'll see what I can look out for you. Send me a text or something with what you need to remind my old brain to check the shed Wink 07742 408558
spit nolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 20-020744 "The Tocksfors Rhd" Reply with quote

I have given the remains of my inner window panel to Mark few weeks back, he is going to see if he can save it or make a new panel. I've had no luck at all. I'll drop u a text, got your number already sausage.

RSVP VW
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: