Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Cool - another autocross SB Build Cool I'm not sure how I missed yours, but I'll follow now. I have a build going too, but progress is painfully slow.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

The empi 8spokes I've seen on supers stick out wider the fender and would appear to rub. I would love to be wrong in this, cause I do like the 8 spoke.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:
Cool - another autocross SB Build Cool I'm not sure how I missed yours, but I'll follow now. I have a build going too, but progress is painfully slow.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=

Probably because I haven't regularly updated in about a year, lol. I've seen your thread! I like where you're going, and I'm impressed with your bodywork skills.

Mikedrevguy wrote:
The empi 8spokes I've seen on supers stick out wider the fender and would appear to rub. I would love to be wrong in this, cause I do like the 8 spoke.

Hmm, I will ask about the offset/backspacing before buying a set. Low profile tires would also allow some more room without rubbing (on the outer fender, I'm assuming you're referring to). If available 8 spoke wheels don't fit I could always run 5 1/2" wide steelies. I don't really want to run modern Porsche wheels or some other big alloys to avoid the extra cost and unsprung weight. Ask any Miata enthusiast: big heavy wheels ruin the driving dynamics of light cars.

Another development: I've discovered there is an SCCA class specifically for old cars that I was not aware about. It's called Heritage Classic. http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/download...1464904752 It's for non-American cars 1975 and older. The rules about modifications and updated parts are much more lax, which is a huge help, and I should be a lot more competitive in it. The only downside is that it is not an official "Nationals" class, so if I do well it does not really count outside of the local chapter. I suppose I could "graduate" to one of the normal classes when the time is right. I feel like this season I will stick to Heritage Classic and have some fun. I hope there are other people planning to run in this class. It's no fun competing against yourself.

-Sam

Orange Bug 1974 Super Beetle

Board Member of the Greater Toledo Volkswagen Club

Member of Northwest Ohio Region SCCA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

I thought I'd share some photography my good friend and I have done of the car. Toledo has some interesting scenery for car photography.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Sam

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Today I scraped off the front driver's side tarboard. I was happy not to find any nasty surprises underneath, just a ton of rust powder. This pan half seems pretty solid. The other side is going to be a different story.

-Sam

tuckfran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Just saw this thread and am really happy I found it, some old vw guys got me turned off to my 73 super and had me wanting an older standard Sad but this thread really makes me happy to own a super!! Keep the updates coming Smile
Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

tuckfran wrote:
Just saw this thread and am really happy I found it, some old vw guys got me turned off to my 73 super and had me wanting an older standard Sad but this thread really makes me happy to own a super!! Keep the updates coming Smile

Thanks! Definitely hold on to the Super dude. They're great cars, and they've got a lot more performance potential than standards. I love all bugs; I'd love to have a '63 ragtop in addition to mine, but Supers are more comfortable and have more cargo room, so I feel like they are much more usable cars if you want to drive a lot. You also avoid the pre '67 Beetle tax.

-Sam

Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Walking Contradiction wrote:

Another development: I've discovered there is an SCCA class specifically for old cars that I was not aware about. It's called Heritage Classic. http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/download...1464904752 It's for non-American cars 1975 and older. The rules about modifications and updated parts are much more lax, which is a huge help, and I should be a lot more competitive in it. The only downside is that it is not an official "Nationals" class, so if I do well it does not really count outside of the local chapter. I suppose I could "graduate" to one of the normal classes when the time is right. I feel like this season I will stick to Heritage Classic and have some fun. I hope there are other people planning to run in this class. It's no fun competing against yourself.

-Sam

You should get in contact with your local region to see if they already support this class. If they don't currently, their might be others in the region who have enough interest to make it viable.

As far as competing on a national level, I think the level of competition, whatever the class, is likely far beyond what an old Beetle is capable of. Unless you were willing to really go hardcore on modifications and spend a ton of money.

My advice is to just set the car up the way "you" want it, run whatever class it falls into, and go have fun.

I guess to put it in perspective; with all my work and planned modifications on my build, my goal is to keep up with a stock Miata. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

When I finally get my car done, I'll probably go for something like the Heritage class. I can't bring myself to be too serious about autocrossing anymore, and I refuse to NOT update some aspects of the car like brakes and suspension. More than anything, I want to try autocrossing a Super Beetle for the sake of using a Super Beetle, thus I have no illusions of being competitive.

I have a local friend (who is also a member of Super Beetles Only!) with a '71 Super who has been autocrossing that car for several years now and is quite good with the it. He says the car is pretty forgiving but requires precision to go fast...more so than with other cars. His years in the car has made him really good when he runs more modern cars. Of course, ANY seat time would likely do that so perhaps it's a moot point.

I just think it would be awesome if suddenly Grass Roots Motorsprts had to feature a Super Beetle because they keep popping up at SCCA events.

johnL (aka H2OSB)
www.superbeetlesonly.com
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

I've been trying to join superbeetlesonly for years, it seems it actually let me sign up this time. still has to be approved?

I plan to do some of the backroads autocross low-key events out here in the Bay Area once I get my suspension on the 73 rebuilt. I've had too much fun reading all the autocross build threads the last few years!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Lingwend-- Cool, you're not too far from me. When my car is done, I'll probably run SCCA events with the SF group as well as the Sac group.

H2OSB
Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:

You should get in contact with your local region to see if they already support this class. If they don't currently, their might be others in the region who have enough interest to make it viable.

As far as competing on a national level, I think the level of competition, whatever the class, is likely far beyond what an old Beetle is capable of. Unless you were willing to really go hardcore on modifications and spend a ton of money.

My advice is to just set the car up the way "you" want it, run whatever class it falls into, and go have fun.

I guess to put it in perspective; with all my work and planned modifications on my build, my goal is to keep up with a stock Miata. Razz

Overall yes, my goal is just to have fun. It's not the car preventing me from going National, I don't feel like I'm the next Formula One talent just waiting to be discovered, if you catch my drift. Anyone can pick a good car and do half decent in competition. I find building a car I really love with my own two hands and seeing what it can do much more rewarding.

My chapter does run Heritage classes, for trophies even I believe. I used to see an old aircooled 911 running a few times, and looking back through last years event results I noticed it was running in the Heritage Classic Race class. With the way my car is it would be in Street, so we wouldn't be directly competing, however. If I could give that guy a scare I'd be over the moon. I'm going to try to reach out to other classic car owners and people in my VW club to see if I can convince them to run with me.

I got a tip that there was a '74 Super Beetle in a local pick-your-part yard and went to check it out last Monday. If I hadn't been so distracted with the situation I would have taken a picture. It was buried in the very back of the massive swamp-like muddy yard totally surrounded by other cars and the roof was smashed in. It was very beat up and mostly picked clean, but I managed to grab a few parts. One of the rear bumper shocks was still intact, so I grabbed that. My car appears to have been rear ended at some point, and instead of replacing the one year only shocks, the POs poorly welded '73 down solid mounts back there. It looks awful. I also grabbed the back seat plastic panels which for some reason were in good shape. Mine are warped. It felt good to save a few parts from a condemned Bug.

-Sam

Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Everyone, always trust your gut. For about a week I swore something felt weird with my clutch pedal. It seemed like it was engaging extremely close to the floor. I decided to take the pedal cluster out to check it out, and sure enough, the cable was about ready to break. The clutch hook is on its last leg as well. Luckily, I had a spare clutch cable ready to go, and put it in the night before the opening Autocross event of the season.

No, I did not make that ugly cut in the tunnel. That's another lovely previous owner hack. Although I must admit it did make getting the clutch cable back in easier. You can also see just how unbelievably dirty this car is. I spent a good amount of time with the shop vac after taking this picture.

The hook is pretty worn. The clutch occasionally made a clicking sound when you pressed the pedal which makes sense when looking at this. It clicks as the end of the clutch cable travels over the worn part while under tension. I have a new clutch arm on the way.

Also, the spring that controls the accelerator pedal was snapped, which explains why my pedal was falling forward when heel-toe downshifting. I wasn't even aware there was a spring. I have a pedal rebuild kit on the way as well.

As I was saying, the first Autocross of the year was two weekends ago. It was a gorgeous day for it and I had a lot of fun. I was in a rush the whole day so unfortunately I didn't take much of any pictures. I entered in Heritage Classic Street. I had one other competitor in the class, a modded 1970 Porsche 911. Literally my worst nightmare, lol. He unfortunately had to call it quits early due to electrical issues, but still soundly beat my best time using only two of his six runs. The local SCCA website seems to be down for a bit. I will update this post with a link to the full results for the event when it comes back online. Despite losing I am quite pleased with how I did. I can already feel myself improving.

From this event I learned that I need to get new tires ASAP. The skinny stock size all seasons are practically useless for this sort of driving; they have very low limits and they just wallow when pushed. I am looking to get some Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tires in 195/55/15 size, with wider wheels to accept them. The rulebook allows all DOT approved street tires with a treadwear rating 200 or above for most classes. Star Specs and the similar Bridgestone RE71s are currently the two most competitive tires. I am leaning towards the Dunlops because by all accounts they have only slightly maximum grip than the Bridgestones but are a much longer-lived tire. They also come in a size that more closely matches the stock rolling diameter. I warn you all that it is extremely difficult to find performance tires in a 15" size that are close to the stock rolling diameter; they are all way undersized. By simply fitting better tires and getting some more experience under my belt I am confident I can quickly close quite a bit of the gap on my competition. In future overviews of my autocross events I will try to get into more specifics about the handling characteristics of the car, my techniques, and other information I can gather about using these cars for autocross.

Update: I ran a best overall time of 44.809; my competitor in the 911 ran a 36.204. Also if you scroll through the results page you'll see I was slower than a Lincoln Towncar Embarassed http://nworscca.com/attachments/results/2017/2017_e1_results_r1.htm

-Sam

Last edited by Walking Contradiction on Wed May 03, 2017 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Just an FYI, I put a set of Dunlop Direzza tires on the summer rims for my daily driver cobalt. Not happy with them, they are out of round. I've had them balanced 3 times, and I still get a vibration out of them around 60 MPH and above. When I put my winter tires back on, everything is totally smooth. It didn't do it with the old worn out set of tires I had on the rims when I got them, just since swapping rubber.

They do seem to stick pretty well, and are good on wet pavement, but the vibration thing is huge to me.

When you get the new clutch hook, put a bit of weld around the area where the clutch able attaches to strengthen it and prevent it from wearing out. No issues with the hook after this mod running my heavier clutch.
Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Just an FYI, I put a set of Dunlop Direzza tires on the summer rims for my daily driver cobalt. Not happy with them, they are out of round. I've had them balanced 3 times, and I still get a vibration out of them around 60 MPH and above. When I put my winter tires back on, everything is totally smooth. It didn't do it with the old worn out set of tires I had on the rims when I got them, just since swapping rubber.

They do seem to stick pretty well, and are good on wet pavement, but the vibration thing is huge to me.

When you get the new clutch hook, put a bit of weld around the area where the clutch able attaches to strengthen it and prevent it from wearing out. No issues with the hook after this mod running my heavier clutch.

Hmmm, good to know. How recently manufactured were those tires? I haven't heard that complaint from other Direzza users. I'll look into that. I'll also see if I can find someone to weld my hook. I don't have a welder/know how to use one.

-Sam

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

I bought them 2 seasons ago off tire rack, so who knows what the manufacturing date was. I'm sure I can find it on the tire somewhere, but maybe they corrected the problem since.
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Awesome, keep at it! I'm jealous, since my Super still has 12-18-months before it runs.

I had a similar clutch hook issue on my '64. I tried welding it, then grinding back to fit, but it didn't work very well. I ended up just getting a new pedal shaft and hook, and that worked much better.

On tires, I probably wouldn't worry too much about achieving a similar diameter as stock. The lower profile tires will give you lower effective gearing, which will help acceleration out of the corners. They also would lower the car and it's center of gravity a little. Just make sure you don't go so wide that you're scraping the fenders or other bits.

You'll love good tires. RE71's are pretty much the go-to 200 treadwear tires in my region. I don't think the Dunlop's are quite as competitive, but will still be a huge difference over standard rubber.

To really get the tires to work, you'll want to dial in some negative camber on the front - either with control arm bushings that give you some more adjustment, or better yet, some camber plates. After that, you'll start thinking about all the other 10,000 possible tweaks. Wink

Here - I'm not sure if these are allowable in Heritage class, but if they are..
https://silverproject.eu/en/shop/vw-2/camber-plates-volkswagen-super-beetle-1974-79/?currency=USD
Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:
Awesome, keep at it! I'm jealous, since my Super still has 12-18-months before it runs.

I had a similar clutch hook issue on my '64. I tried welding it, then grinding back to fit, but it didn't work very well. I ended up just getting a new pedal shaft and hook, and that worked much better.

On tires, I probably wouldn't worry too much about achieving a similar diameter as stock. The lower profile tires will give you lower effective gearing, which will help acceleration out of the corners. They also would lower the car and it's center of gravity a little. Just make sure you don't go so wide that you're scraping the fenders or other bits.

You'll love good tires. RE71's are pretty much the go-to 200 treadwear tires in my region. I don't think the Dunlop's are quite as competitive, but will still be a huge difference over standard rubber.

To really get the tires to work, you'll want to dial in some negative camber on the front - either with control arm bushings that give you some more adjustment, or better yet, some camber plates. After that, you'll start thinking about all the other 10,000 possible tweaks. Wink

Here - I'm not sure if these are allowable in Heritage class, but if they are..
https://silverproject.eu/en/shop/vw-2/camber-plates-volkswagen-super-beetle-1974-79/?currency=USD

Thank you for reminding me of those camber plates, I was just looking at them the other day. I believe suspension setup is pretty much unrestricted in HC. I'm going to need camber plates because even with the extended range camber bolts that came with my lowering kit, the suspension has barely enough adjustment to get within stock specs. No way to set it at say -1* of camber at the front. What do your alignment specs look like?

I'm aware that the Bridgestones are the reigning champion at the moment, but I don't have the budget to replace them as often as they seem to need replacing. Reviews I've read make them out to be extremely quick-wearing tires. The Dunlops are also said to be much better behaved on the street. I'd like to have one tire to fulfill both street and track roles right now. I am still going to keep the stock wheels and tires as a backup, however.

A batch of parts came in today. I got the clutch arm and a gas pedal repair kit, along with spare accelerator and clutch cables, since I have burned through my old spares. I always keep these in the car ready to go. I also threw in a new set of window cranks. I think they brighten up the interior nicely.

Knowing how cheap chrome finishes are now I gave them a coat of wax and will probably recoat them frequently.

-Sam

Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Right now, I have no alignment - all my parts are still sitting in boxes until the car is farther along. Crying or Very sad I'll be shooting for around -2.5 or -3 to start, then will need to tweak it once I get a chance to actually drive the darn thing. This will be for track only, though, so I'm not worried about daily driving issues.

I think you'll be happy with the Dunlop's, they will still be a night-and-day difference. I'm due for another set of RE71's for our Mini - they've lasted about 9-months of 2-driver car race-days (say 120 runs), but they only get used on the street to and from the track. I doubt they have more than about 500-miles on them (street+track).
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

I've had the same/similar with the clutch hook and cable. Welded the hook and all's good.
When/if I get there again, ll go with the solid arm with roller bearing

I've been looking at 16" wheels for the possibility of more options.
Keep having fun.
Rev.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: