Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parptarf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Nice project! Reading through this gave me motivation to finish up the brakes on my '71 Super. My car is also gonna end up as an autocross car, if all things go as planned. I've been driving front-engined Porsches at autocrosses before so getting my super on the road should be interesting.
Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Parptarf wrote:
Nice project! Reading through this gave me motivation to finish up the brakes on my '71 Super. My car is also gonna end up as an autocross car, if all things go as planned. I've been driving front-engined Porsches at autocrosses before so getting my super on the road should be interesting.

Good to hear! The neat thing about going from the 924/944 to the Super Beetle is that they have very similar suspension setups. McPherson struts up front, torsion bars with trailing arms out back.

I’m still trying to really figure out how my car handles; I’m usually too pumped up during my runs to really analyze what’s going on. I notice if you over-cook it into a corner the car you lose a massive amount of time. The car does not want to turn; it you have to wait until it stops plowing then kinda wallow through the turn. It doesn’t help right now the suspension is very stiff up front with a thicker sway bar, while the back is stock with no bar. On stock size tires you definitely feel the sidewall flexing enormously. It is not confidence inspiring. In audition, even with as little power as it has, the car will still exhibit snap-oversteer under certain conditions. I can’t remember what I did to cause it, but in a long, very long radius curve with a kink in the middle the back end kicked way out as I maneuvered around the kink. It’s alarming when it happens, but you can catch it if you immediately countersteer.

The biggest issue that I encounter while autocrossing is the car’s gearing. Because of the low redline I tend to get stuck between 2nd and 3rd, and lose a considerable amount of time if I flub the downshift. It’s harder than you think when you’re under pressure. Most street cars are able to get into 2nd and stay there for the whole course. Since the car has no tachometer I start to worry whether I’m over-revving in 2nd and either let off the throttle or upshift, which costs precious time. 4000 rpm in this car sounds like so much more. It makes you unable to push the car as hard. I need to get on installing that tach I have sitting in the parts bin.

Really though I love autocrossing in it, and the other competitors there seem to enjoy seeing it there. I think you’ll enjoy it too.

-Sam

Orange Bug 1974 Super Beetle

Board Member of the Greater Toledo Volkswagen Club

Member of Northwest Ohio Region SCCA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Parptarf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

If the beetle acts anything like a 968 or 944S2 on the autocross, stiffening up the rear of the car with a big sway-bar will drastically improve rotation and prevent understeer. My S2 had both 968M030 sway-bars and coilovers and that thing was understeering quite a lot compared to my 968 with the stock front bar, M030 rear and sportsdampers and lowered springs. I put the bar on the 968, which gave me the comparison first-hand. And I stiffened up the rear setting on the S2, which also give me a lot more rotation.

Those two cars are near 50/50, so it won't be exactly the same, but they have the same suspension style. It's worth a try at least. Just stiffening up the front have just introduced more understeer from what I have experienced.
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

I honestly dont think having a tach will help. I have one and I never look at it during autocross. Too many other things to worry about. A rev limiter is much more useful IMO. Having a long 2nd gear also helps. I can run pretty much any autocross track in 2nd but my 2nd goes to about 70 mph....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679467
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

I agree that a tach won't be a huge help during a race, unless you have one with a big shift light in your face that you can't miss. You might be able to use it to train your ears during less intense street driving. In my modern cars, I never look at the tach in a race, and often remember to shift only when the rev limiter cuts power. I can't remember your engine, but if it's stock-ish, the power will get soggy before it revs too far anyway. If you're "just" shifting into 3rd, then immediately back into second, you might do just as well holding 2nd until its painfull.

Learn to judge your needed corner entry speed, get hard on the brakes before turn-in, and let off the brakes as you begin to turn. This weight transfer helps front grip, as long as you're not still on the brakes. Also, if the car does push, try to straighten the wheel, rather than the natural tendency to give it more steering. This will help regain front grip.

Tires are going to be the biggest thing. The tires you have are probably great for daily, but you need good autocross specific tires. 200 treadwear, stiff sidewalls, and a second set of rims. Lower aspect ratio would lower your effective gearing, and possibly make 3rd a more useable gear for the speeds.

I think you're at a point that you'll need to consider more race-specific mods, at the detriment of street driving. Loosing the big front swaybar, and going back to stock would help front grip. Dial in as much negative camber in the front as possible.

I shouldn't admit this, but with my '68 Beetle autocrosser, I'd slide the clutch on corner exit until the speed caught up with gearing. Plan on replacing clutches if you do this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Parptarf wrote:
If the beetle acts anything like a 968 or 944S2 on the autocross, stiffening up the rear of the car with a big sway-bar will drastically improve rotation and prevent understeer. My S2 had both 968M030 sway-bars and coilovers and that thing was understeering quite a lot compared to my 968 with the stock front bar, M030 rear and sportsdampers and lowered springs. I put the bar on the 968, which gave me the comparison first-hand. And I stiffened up the rear setting on the S2, which also give me a lot more rotation.

Those two cars are near 50/50, so it won't be exactly the same, but they have the same suspension style. It's worth a try at least. Just stiffening up the front have just introduced more understeer from what I have experienced.

Oh yes, I definitely plan on installing a rear sway bar. The reason the front is so overbuilt and the back hasn't been touched is that about two years ago the safety stewards told me that there was too much play in my suspension and it was soon going to fail tech inspection. So I went all out and replaced everything: all new tie rods, ball joints, polyurethane bushings throughout, a thicker front sway bar, and Topline MaXX adjustable struts. Then I never got around to doing the rear to match. I realize that the stiffness of the front suspension is absolutely contributing to my understeer situation.

Chad1376 wrote:
I agree that a tach won't be a huge help during a race, unless you have one with a big shift light in your face that you can't miss. You might be able to use it to train your ears during less intense street driving. In my modern cars, I never look at the tach in a race, and often remember to shift only when the rev limiter cuts power. I can't remember your engine, but if it's stock-ish, the power will get soggy before it revs too far anyway. If you're "just" shifting into 3rd, then immediately back into second, you might do just as well holding 2nd until its painfull.

Learn to judge your needed corner entry speed, get hard on the brakes before turn-in, and let off the brakes as you begin to turn. This weight transfer helps front grip, as long as you're not still on the brakes. Also, if the car does push, try to straighten the wheel, rather than the natural tendency to give it more steering. This will help regain front grip.

Tires are going to be the biggest thing. The tires you have are probably great for daily, but you need good autocross specific tires. 200 treadwear, stiff sidewalls, and a second set of rims. Lower aspect ratio would lower your effective gearing, and possibly make 3rd a more useable gear for the speeds.

I think you're at a point that you'll need to consider more race-specific mods, at the detriment of street driving. Loosing the big front swaybar, and going back to stock would help front grip. Dial in as much negative camber in the front as possible.

I shouldn't admit this, but with my '68 Beetle autocrosser, I'd slide the clutch on corner exit until the speed caught up with gearing. Plan on replacing clutches if you do this.

Thank you for the driving advice. What you're describing was exactly my idea for the tach. Getting a feel for engine rpm in each gear vs speed on the road would help me out a lot. The engine is bone stock except for a points replacement device and an EGR delete. Maybe I haven't even been getting close to the limit, as I have not noticed any considerable power drop off at high(ish) in the rev range.

I still have the stock bar and may clean it up and experiment with changing them out. I'm not sure if the fresh bushings I put in will fit the smaller stock bar.

A dedicated set of wheels and tires is absolutely on the top of the list as far as modifications go, but the funding for this project went considerably down when I became a full-time student. I had to massively cut back on work hours. I had the same idea of using a lower sidewall to hopefully help the acceleration a bit and make the gearing more favorable. I had to abandon that plan for now and get a new set of stock tires just to get back in the action. What I eventually want to do is dual-drill the brakes for 4x130 and 4x100 patterns, so I can run Enkei 92 mesh wheels on the street and have a dedicated set of the lightest 15" wheels I can find for a reasonable cost with Direzza Star Spec or RE-71R tires. I'm not really a fan of the look of larger diameter wheels on Beetles, and they add unsprung weight.

-Sam

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

You are exactly where I was in the early 90's when I was racing my Beetle. Broke and just want to race Wink Tires are just like heroin, and once you are addicted, there's no turning back.

Don't sweat the tires. You can still learn a lot of driving technique and have fun.

Here's what you need to do. Volunteer and help with the race events beyond what the minimum work requirements are. Get to know everyone (and let them know your broke Cool ) You will likely have people who offer take-offs that will be useable for a race or two. I ended up with a sweet set of Hoosiers and kicked some butt for a few races that way. I also ended up with some Formula V tires that worked extremely well.

It's not a guarantee, but club people are astonishingly generous once you're "in."

A beat up rusty set of VW 15"x5.5" steelies for race wheels will work for up to 195's (even 205's), and will be 98% as fast as a fancy set of wheels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Chad - Great advise so far! But the one thing I have noticed at the races is that 1 out of the 75 cars there run 15's. And that one car would be a Miata if you are lucky. So chances of getting some take off tires for 15's will be slim unless he makes friends with a Miata group. There are a lot of Miata groups out there with some really cool people, so thats where I would start. They would be a good group to learn from as well.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679467
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

True. 15's were more common back when I was a wayward orphan Razz

Most of 20-something crowd is going to run their tires until they're corded. It's the old guys, or the super competitive lot that are more likely to get new tires before the old ones are toast. The old guys are probably going to be fond of the Beetle. (TLDR? - suck up to the old guys.) Razz

Also, if there's road-racers who also autocross on the side, they may be more likely to have take-offs. Their tires may be more road-race oriented, but still a far cry better than dailies. Lots of Miata's in road racing....
Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

A couple big updates on the way, guys.

A month or so ago I got the fuel tank back together. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Fuel tank cleaned. The top half was quickly painted with black Rustoleum:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sender reinstalled with clean contacts:

New fuel line exiting the tank:

Tank back in the car:

Cleaned and painted filler neck with new seals and rubber hose:

All the vacuum lines were replaced. Getting these to fit is a big pain. I almost wonder if I used the wrong hose for this. I tried cleaning the expansion tank up there. I wish there was a way to make it look better.

And finally the whole thing. Every rubber component was changed, including the gas cap:

-Sam

Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Looks terrific. I thought you installed a brand new tank at first glance.
Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

I ultimately decided that I would rather drive the car than let it sit while I gathered the funds to rebuild all of the brakes, so I simply ordered what was necessary to repair the leaking rear brakes, and carefully went through them.

My cheater to remove the axle nut. This was much less scary a task than I imagined. It took less time to loosen the nut than it did to remove the cotter pin:

I was very lucky when it came to removing the drums. Even though the adjusters were frozen I had plenty of room to pull this drum off. This side actually was not leaking, though looked like it had accumulated a considerable amount of brake dust and grime:

I tore down everything and cleaned it up the best I could:

New wheel cylinder:

New, greased adjusters:

All new shoes and hardware:

And finally, a new drum:

I even got the plugs that cover the access holes:

The other side was filthy from the leaking wheel cylinder. In addition, one of the adjusters was so frozen I had to torch it out:

During the work I inspected the rear lines and hoses carefully. They do have some corrosion but they appear solid and flexible still. I was able to manuever the hard lines while replacing the wheel cylinders without issue. With this refresh I should be good to go (err, stop) at least for this year.

-Sam

H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

I cannot emphasize enough how much i recommend getting a torque meister for those axle nuts. The very first time you use it, you'll say to yourself "wow, I'm glad I bought that!"

Tank looks great. I'm thinking about Por15ing my tank (I already have the stuff...I don't think I'd buy it just to paint a gas tank).

H2OSB
Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

The NWOR SCCA Solo season opener was last Sunday, the 15th. The car had not run in over 6 months, and still wasn't ready. I spent the night before frantically trying to resuscitate it. I unfortunately did not get pictures that night, but it was pretty mundane stuff.

With a helper, I managed to get the brakes bled. I made sure to let all the old fluid drain out. I could tell it had not been changed in a long time. The fluid coming from the rear brakes was black. Rolling Eyes Then, I adjusted the rear drums. Having never adjusted the brakes before, I'm not quite sure I tightened them enough. The pedal travels about halfway before any braking happens. The pedal is very firm however. I also believe one of the parking brake cables is stretched, as I could not adjust to fully lock the wheel.

I drained the oil and put some new stuff in, then removed the carb to dump out all the old, probably bad gas. All the fuel available here is at least 10% ethanol and my car doesn't like it. I took the carb mostly apart, sprayed out all the jets and passages, then poured a little fresh gas in the bowl and put it back on the car.

Since I had just refurbished the fuel system, the tank was bone dry and I had to run to the station with a can to get some fuel in the car. Finally, I re-installed the battery, which was out of the car on a charger all winter. When I turned the key, and it immediately came to life again. By the time I had started the car it was nearly 4am. I was exhausted, and the car was blocked in the garage by our other vehicles, so I packed up my tools and supplies for the event and headed to bed without going for a test drive.

The drive to the event the next morning was its shake down test. The brakes felt good but had an odd noise coming from the rear, and the engine felt very strong, though still will not idle with the choke off. The new tires seemed stable in the steady rain.

The weather was absolutely miserable. Close to freezing with heavy rain all through the first half of the event. My shoes were soaked and I was frozen to my core by the time my shift working the corner stations was over. Even so I was eager to race again, and was feeling proud off myself for pulling the car back from the dead the night before.

When it was finally my to run, I had a blast. I can tell that I am improving. even though they are just the stock size, the new tires made a massive difference in how the car felt. It no longer plowed and wallowed in the corner entrances. I also felt more confident pushing the car higher in 2nd gear. I did not grab 3rd the whole event. The best part was the competition. Another person has begun competing in Heritage Classic Street with a well-built, beautiful 1970 Porsche 911. It was a true David vs. Goliath battle. Despite not driving the car since last year, not adjusting the brakes properly, not having time to tune the carburetor at all, and still running on a bad transmission, I managed to post a time only 3 seconds short of the 911's best. I am incredibly proud of that, and am going to try my hardest to get better and catch up with him. ( I also bested an S2000, a Focus ST, and an '89 Mustang)

My friend managed to get a video of my best run as well! Below is the video and a link to the full time sheet from the event.

Link

http://www.nworscca.com/attachments/results/2018/2018_e1_results_r1.htm

I can tell this is going to be a wonderful year, and I can't wait to share more of my adventures with you all.

-Sam

[/youtube]

Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
I cannot emphasize enough how much i recommend getting a torque meister for those axle nuts. The very first time you use it, you'll say to yourself "wow, I'm glad I bought that!"

Tank looks great. I'm thinking about Por15ing my tank (I already have the stuff...I don't think I'd buy it just to paint a gas tank).

H2OSB

Thank you! I'd say if you already have the paint, it would be worth doing. I am amazed how well the section I painted with POR15 when I did the front suspension is holding up. It doesn't even have a scratch or chip in the area I use to jack up the front of the car (with a block of wood on the jack). I find the prep work annoying however, and the cost is somewhat prohibitive. I have refrained from using POR15 since then because the other half of the quart I purchased dried up in the can completely solid even though I thought I sealed it well with plastic film. I can't afford to have that expensive stuff ruined before I can even use it all.

-Sam

Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Keep the stories coming, this is awesome. Wrenching all night and standing in the rain all day gave me a cold just thinking about it. Tip: learn timing and scoring, so you can hang out under the canopy or timing vehicle, instead of shagging cones Wink

I thought the car looked and sounded solid. Rain is a big equalizer. With some more seat time, I'll bet you start getting closer to the 911's times (especially in the wet.)
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Walking Contradiction wrote:

And finally the whole thing. Every rubber component was changed, including the gas cap

Whats that smell? I don't smell anything. Exactly.

Great thread. Good luck stalking that 911! Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Hey guys, it's been a while. Summer classes have kept me from doing anything major on the car, mostly some cleaning and small electrical repairs, but I haven't stopped racing! Yesterday was event #5 for the season. The format was a bit different due to the unfortunate cancelling of our usual weekend-long "champ tour" event. There were basically two entire short events packed into one day. You ran two heats, and worked two heats. Your best times from the morning and afternoon sessions were added together to decide your final time. Below is the full result spreadsheet from yesterday. If you're interested in seeing the other events I missed posting, go back to the main "solo results" page:

http://www.nworscca.com/attachments/results/2018/2018_e5_results.htm

As the results show, I am still being soundly beaten by the 911. This was an very fast, short course, with a couple cars returning sub-30 second runs. However on a best run vs. best run basis, I can see the gap slowly closing between us. What was once an 8 second gap became less than 6 this event. That is still an enormous amount, but those 2 seconds I gained were purely from driving technique. Nothing important has changed on the car mechanically since the beginning of the season. With more practice, better tires, and a few suspension tweaks, I believe I can creep up on him.

Regarding cumulative season points, I am still behind but not as bad as I could be, as we both missed one of the events. Currently, the standing is 300 to 145. The closer my times get to his, the smaller his points gains become. 100 points are awarded to the overall winner in each class per event, with subsequent points awarded to each contestant based on the time difference vs the winner, up to 99 points if it was extremely close. Points are what decide who takes home the trophy at the end of the season.

I may have a lead on a good used set of wheels and tires. I'm keeping my lips sealed until they are actually in my garage, however. It's going to be interesting trying to fit them up. We'll see.

-Sam

Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Nice going. It looks like you have some positive camber up front. You might find that you can corner faster with a little negative camber unless that is against the rules? A half to 1 degree of negative camber will help you alot.

Can't wait to see more. Another thumbs up here.
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: My Crazy 1974 Super Beetle Autocross Build Reply with quote

Walking Contradiction wrote:
... What was once an 8 second gap became less than 6 this event. That is still an enormous amount, but those 2 seconds I gained were purely from driving technique...

Yes. 2 seconds is excellent improvement. Keep working on your technique, regardless of tires and mods. Once you get the funds for race tires, BAM!!!- you'll be making that pesky Porsche sweat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: