Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo??
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo?? Reply with quote

Here is a bunch of tool I have made or would like to share.
Most important is the dowel pin puller, which i made haphazardly in 15 minutes from rocker shafts and weld, and it works great! Just welded tab on one side, drilled a 5/16 hole in the end and through the tab, and then split the tab. Pulled many dowels with it. The slide hammer is a 55mm piston pin.

Although not as easy to see, there are two no-go gauges, which are just bits of shaft turned to a particular diameter then flats cut on the sides. i made them double sided. .314/.315 and .316/.317 These can gauge valve guides and also dowel pin holes. i have a handful of rods and valve stems also of varuis diameters to gauge holes. Take a crank and flywheel that aren't a matched set...... lets see how many of the holes line up? how big are they?
Usually, it's not perfect. And that's what the bag of 11/32 dowels and reamer is for.

I will let you guess what all the other tools are. Most you can identify but I bet some you can't!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo?? Reply with quote

More!

Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo?? Reply with quote

I see wheels on brackets for balancing rods end to end. Above that a tool you can use for compressing valve springs using a drill press.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo?? Reply with quote

great job modok
modok wrote:
Here is a bunch of tool I have made or would like to share.
Most important is the dowel pin puller, which i made haphazardly in 15 minutes from rocker shafts and weld, and it works great! Just welded tab on one side, drilled a 5/16 hole in the end and through the tab, and then split the tab. Pulled many dowels with it. The slide hammer is a 55mm piston pin.

Although not as easy to see, there are two no-go gauges, which are just bits of shaft turned to a particular diameter then flats cut on the sides. i made them double sided. .314/.315 and .316/.317 These can gauge valve guides and also dowel pin holes. i have a handful of rods and valve stems also of varuis diameters to gauge holes. Take a crank and flywheel that aren't a matched set...... lets see how many of the holes line up? how big are they?
Usually, it's not perfect. And that's what the bag of 11/32 dowels and reamer is for.

I will let you guess what all the other tools are. Most you can identify but I bet some you can't!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo?? Reply with quote

Interested to know what the 9/16 deep socket welded to (appears to be a outside tooth gear) is for
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo?? Reply with quote

MacLeod Willy wrote:
Interested to know what the 9/16 deep socket welded to (appears to be a outside tooth gear) is for

Never mind, its a timing belt not a gear. Assuming an oil filter wrench but why all the trouble to make one?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo?? Reply with quote

Wow, Modok! You sure you are not in West VA? Very Happy

Hey if they do what they are designed for, then very good.

Like the Russians would say... "it does not have to look pretty. just have to be able to shoot a bullet." (talking about their rifle designs) Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo?? Reply with quote

Ive made somany special tools& jigs it's hard to remember them all....or find them. the issue I ran into is me not marking what they are Shocked so I dont make something else out of them Crying or Very sad then realize what it was half way through Evil or Very Mad ,so i try to label them all now. most liike store bought, but some are crude.like the trans dif preload tool I made a few months ago. out of a ole chrysler hemi pully,a bmw motorcycle wheel ballancing addaptor(harborfright),a pully puller(harborfright),dial indacator and some steel flat stock for gussets....lotsa gussets..looks like shite but works like a charm...however charms work Wink most i build is billet, but....like the trans press fixture I made out of 2x6 syp(southern yeller pine) quick,cheep eazy, works awesome and light weight with no hard places to ding anything that shouldent be dinged.
A E Numan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo?? Reply with quote

Please! show the individual tool and explain how you use it. Dowel puller first!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo?? Reply with quote

MacLeod Willy wrote:
MacLeod Willy wrote:

Never mind, its a timing belt not a gear. Assuming an oil filter wrench but why all the trouble to make one?

Yes exactly, oil filter wrench.
I made it so I could remove an oil filter??? wasn't much trouble. I thought I might have invented something.
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo?? Reply with quote

whats the DP manifold thats cut for?
ralf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo?? Reply with quote

i like the oilfilter belt thingy, not just for vw's as u know modok u have a few inline4's its handy

DP manifold could be for portmatching, the radiused inlet tells me it could double as a flowbench manifold

porting my SP head for my brother's project
https://youtu.be/OS_mVjQuqgk
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo?? Reply with quote

It would be nice if someone could do a write up on how to ream/match the crank dowel holes with the flywheel. Tools?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo?? Reply with quote

ralf wrote:
i like the oilfilter belt thingy, not just for vw's as u know modok u have a few inline4's its handy

DP manifold could be for portmatching, the radiused inlet tells me it could double as a flowbench manifold

Bingo, that's a big beef for port matching and flowbench. It's ported out pretty big but I fill in the inside with putty to do smaller ports.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo?? Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
It would be nice if someone could do a write up on how to ream/match the crank dowel holes with the flywheel. Tools?

I was going to do that but maybe I put too much junk in the picture, sorry. How many pictures can I load on here for free anyhow?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom tools for 8-dowel, and others, wheres waldo?? Reply with quote

I'll get these out of the way.
-The square tube has a round tube in it 12.2mm ID. In this tube loosely fits a VW valve guide.
In the guide is a 5/16 drill bit welded to a small U joint. I made this tool to drill out broken exhaust bolts from chevy 350 and 4.3 engines when they break the one by the firewall, which is often.
The tube bolts to the head and pilots the drill-bit, while I'm on the other side of the fender well with the drill. I've used it three times.
-The two piston pins welded to a block functions the same as V-blocks. I use this to check runout of valves or lifters, or setup on 12" disk sander and tip valves and small rods.
-the oil filter wrench works great!
-two simple valve spring compressor adapters for drill press.

-The pen is a "firing indicator", it has a neon light in it and you hold it against a spark plug wire and observe the light for trouble shooting. I think everybody should have one of these.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: