Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

Wish i had the van in front of me. All the wires are labeled and i think found a picture of the sender in the intercooler wired into the ecu.

I have an mgl avionics e3 guage that will monitor egt, cht, temp and pressure using vdo senders. I need to figure out the senders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
Wish i had the van in front of me. All the wires are labeled and i think found a picture of the sender in the intercooler wired into the ecu.

I have an mgl avionics e3 guage that will monitor egt, cht, temp and pressure using vdo senders. I need to figure out the senders.

I looked into aviation products before, but this is a great find!!

Thank you Smile

They sell the senders at the bottom of the page. http://www.mglavionics.com/html/infinity.html#E3

I was setting on an Auber instrument gauge, but it doesn't manage that many inputs Smile
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

Also my saab ics dont have sensors.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Much more easy to weld a sensor into a inox tube.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

I started a new thread for my actual conversion. I have a fuel tank question over there so if anyone watching this thread has an interest, I would love the input.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8065591#8065591

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

So, I'm a little late to the party.

Chris,

I actually went the Bora Parts long-block route. It's not done yet, but you can see my build-up of the block via http://www.vanagondiesel.info/index.php/MTDI_AHU_Conversion_Notes

For quality of the block? Looks good, all the seals I see look as new as the ones I purchased to replace. I don't see the need to replace them.

Ton of great info here!

I hope to have my conversion ready within the next few months.

Christopher Schimke wrote:
So what are your thoughts on the OEM VW long block offered By Bora Parts? It's a 1Z and 20 years old. I don't know if it's the later 1Z with the smaller valve stems or the later version. I'm in need of a mostly plug and play solution at this point, but 20 year old seals concern me as does the reputation of the 1Z being a bit less reliable (sturdy) than the AHU.

The reason I ask this is because my AHU rebuild has turned into a world class cluster cluck and I need to get this project back on track if I have any hope of using the van this summer. It's a bit of a long story on why the AHU situation is causing problems, but it's the age old story of a shop that may turn out great work, but their business prowess is sorely, sorely lacking.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

Chris it's a 1z block, but since identical (other than the pistons I think it is), they are the same block as the AHU.

Bora Parts and Cascade German are the same company. Cascade German had an ad on eBay explaining that the block is a 1Z. But yes, the Bora Parts ad makes it look like it's an AHU.

Quote:
Factory new long block TDI crate engine. These engines have been discontinued for 20 years, but we were able to bring a crate of them in from Europe recently. 1Z engine code, which is essentially the same as the AHU and compatible for either application.

Thanks for the info on the 1Z and the 20 year old long blocks. I'll call them to get more info.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

- Seven years later - (said in my best French narrator accent from Spongebob)

Yep, that's right. It's been seven years since I last touched my TDi Syncro project. Life...you know?

I reread this entire thread (and others) to try to catch back up on the awesome info provided. Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this incredible thread. SO valuable.

Anyway, the first AHU engine I bought ended up being a turd. While it could have been rebuilt (and that was the plan), the machine shop that it was sent to ended up losing a whole bunch of parts, and after months and months of having it in their possession, they never did a darned thing to the engine itself. In the interim, I had purchased a new AMC head in anticipation of installing it onto the rebuilt longbolck. That never happened.

As a result of the issues with the machine shop and many lost parts, I decided to purchase a completely different engine. A friend had a 1Z that was a good running engine, so I bought that. I've pulled it apart and everything looks excellent. There's no wear on any of the bearings, no wear on the cam or followers, etc. I did pull the head to inspect the cylinder walls, so now I obviously need to reinstall the head.

So here is the question: Should I reinstall the head that came with the engine that has no issues I can identify, or should I install the new AMC head? My gut tells me to reinstall the original head, but maybe I'm wrong about that. Any insight you can impart would be much appreciated.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

OE Head, then a three hole gasket, or two hole think they are made three hole. Even if it had a 1 hole before.

Check the wiki Wink

- Seven years later - (said in my best French narrator accent from Spongebob)

Yep, that's right. It's been seven years since I last touched my TDi Syncro project. Life...you know?

I reread this entire thread (and others) to try to catch back up on the awesome info provided. Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this incredible thread. SO valuable.

Anyway, the first AHU engine I bought ended up being a turd. While it could have been rebuilt (and that was the plan), the machine shop that it was sent to ended up losing a whole bunch of parts, and after months and months of having it in their possession, they never did a darned thing to the engine itself. In the interim, I had purchased a new AMC head in anticipation of installing it onto the rebuilt longbolck. That never happened.

As a result of the issues with the machine shop and many lost parts, I decided to purchase a completely different engine. A friend had a 1Z that was a good running engine, so I bought that. I've pulled it apart and everything looks excellent. There's no wear on any of the bearings, no wear on the cam or followers, etc. I did pull the head to inspect the cylinder walls, so now I obviously need to reinstall the head.

So here is the question: Should I reinstall the head that came with the engine that has no issues I can identify, or should I install the new AMC head? My gut tells me to reinstall the original head, but maybe I'm wrong about that. Any insight you can impart would be much appreciated.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

rotaecho wrote:
OE Head, then a three hole gasket, or two hole think they are made three hole. Even if it had a 1 hole before.

Check the wiki Wink

Ah, really? Yeah, it has a one-hole head gasket on and I bought a one-hole. But you're saying install a two-hole gasket anyway? Why is that?

rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

From what I've been told; could be wrong. Unless you verify the head is still within spec, a 1hole leaves very little clearance. I was told to stick to 2-3 hole gaskets as it'd leave clearance, but still be within spec. The lower the hole tighter the piston protrosion there is vs a 2 or 3 hole.

The downside I was told would be a slight loss of performance, of which is gained back with nozzles and other upgrades.

I'm sure others will chime in, and there's a lot of info also on tdiclub too.

Totally stay OEM for the head if possible.

rotaecho wrote:

Check the wiki Wink

Ah, really? Yeah, it has a one-hole head gasket on and I bought a one-hole. But you're saying install a two-hole gasket anyway? Why is that?

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

If the piston protrusion calls for a 1-notch gasket, I would use a 1-notch gasket (not a 2 or 3 notch). You are messing with the compression ratio, squish, and quench when using a gasket that is thicker than spec.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

What Waldo says. No telling if the wrong gasket was fitted at one time. Pretty simple to measure the piston protrusion a few different ways. A straight edge and a feeler blade set is something most would have on hand. Measure a few times to get repeatability.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

Yeah, don't fnck with putting a thin head gasket.

Mine had a 2 hole when it came from the donor.
I rebuilt it, had the machine shop measure protusion after a dry assembly, confirmed 2 notch gasket.

Well, 3 notch starts from memory at 1.10mm, mine was 1.11.

I could hear a slight noise when driving along a wall on the Freeway. Nobody else could hear it but I felt something was off....

Luckily a coolant fitting came part and I blew the head soon after the build.

The valves were touching the pistons, not even enough to mark the aluminum machining marks, just enough to clean the soot.

I had to go to a 3 notch gasket, new AMC head. No noise after that and drove it all the way to Panama border and back! I don't think the 2 notch gasket would have allowed me that....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the head gaskets. I did measure the piston height above the deck and it's 0.91mm across all four. 0.91mm is the lowest piston height listed in the repair manual. This is why I purchased the on-hole gasket, and I think I'll stick with that.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

👍
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Jump to:
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: