Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KEP Air Filter
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zastrow_qr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
So is the replacement filter a "46179" that's what it looked like in what was left of the part number.

Stacy

I replaced mine with a Wix 46179
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

I am using a Fram CA3924
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

So is the replacement filter a "46179" that's what it looked like in what was left of the part number.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glennsorrentino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

Hi all - I've had an issue with my KEP air filter housing where the washer and wingnut at the end of the housing has come off, allowing it to fall and causing it to melt. This is the second time it's happened.

The first time, the housing melted all of the way through and ended up burning the filter. The second time it fell and only the housing melted, leaving a large hole in the bottom.

Both times it took me opening the engine bay to inspect something unrelated and I ended up finding it on accident. I reattached the housing this time with a spring wing nut with the hopes that this will keep it on, but I've ordered a new one in the meantime.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

Perfect. Thanks Dave
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

Escorial Syncro wrote:
Under this subject heading, could someone assist by providing the part number for the replacement air filter element that fits the KEP fog horn housing? Many thanks, Joel

AC -A905C
CHAMP - AF905
FRAM - CA3924
MOTORCRAFT- FA1094
PUROLATOR - A14347
WIX & NAPA - 6179
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

Under this subject heading, could someone assist by providing the part number for the replacement air filter element that fits the KEP fog horn housing? Many thanks, Joel
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

It's pretty easy to fabricate a bracket to support the KEP airbox, but just for the record, Burley sells one already made.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1509829
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

I have one hanging around as the legacy factory unit fit so much better and scavenges air from the left upper grate
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

When originally putting my intake system together, I intended to instal the KEP box like zak99B5 has pictured. I did not cut my stock breather intake long enough so I went ahead and installed the KEP 180 degrees with the intake pulling air from the engine bay and not the pillar. The problem was that while driving though South Carolina during a thunderstorm, I sucked up enough road spray that the engine started choking out. As a roadside fix I bought a 3' length of heater tube from the local flaps and with some gorilla tape, made the fix. The tube is seated with silicone into the KEP breather and snorkeled up the pillar. Gorilla taped in place. It works and is nice and quiet so I haven't changed it.

215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

Is KEP the only place to purchase this filter box (as pictured in zak99bs pic) or can someone tell me alternative retailers.

Looking forward to seeing your setup AKWesty.
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

I will try to take a picture of my setup in the next day or so. My filter is rotated 180 degrees of zak99BS filter setup. I also added a snorkel tube to mine and ran it up the pillar. It is a very quiet setup.
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

That is perfect! Thanks so much. I'll take some photos and post when I get mine done!
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

Sorry it's all kinda dirty. There's no K&N filter in there; I use a paper-element purolator instead.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

I have the filter connected to the rest up the intake with a short section of steel pipe. I built a bracket and have the steel pipe mounted to the bracket with a muffler clamp. I have the filter in the back corner of the engine compartment and do want to relocate it up into the corner post a bit to get it into cleaner air.
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

That would be appreciated. Just trying to plan out the final touches before the big conversion day. Thanks again!
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

Mine just sits there, at the end of the intake tract. The horn goes into the space behind the left taillight. I can snap a pic tomorrow.
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

Sorry I should have clarified. I have one, just got it from KEP. I just wanted to know how people anchor or behind the tail lamp. I can't seem to find any photos on here or the net with the KEP setup.
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

I have an older KEP set up with an EJ 22. It's a K&N unit I believe. It has a cylindrical air filter element inside, and the intake is a tube folded back on itself to quiet the howl.

I believe KEP has a pic of it on their website. Or I can grab a pic tomorrow.
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: KEP Air Filter Reply with quote

Hey all.

I was just wondering if anyone had used the Kennedy Engineering Intake Air Filter for their Vanagon conversions? If so would they be able to show me a setup using it. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: