Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Neil's bubbletop volksrod build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

There are 3 pieces to the hoops in the picture. The 1/8" gap that you see vertically oriented in the pictures is the 'door gap' between the hoop welded to the body and the bubble hoop assembly. The bubble hoop assembly is made up of 2pcs of 3/16" by 1.5" flat stock, one of which is welded to a 1/2" by 1/2" square tube. There will eventually be counter sunk cap screws holding this assembly together, and they will bolt on from the bottom so that you can't see any hardware when it's closed up like this. So there is a 1/2" thick by 1" wide gap for the plexiglass. Planning on 3/8" thick plexiglass for the bubble, hopefully I can figure out how to blow it out myself. It's not like it's never been done before; knowing that it's possible makes it easier and I've researched it a bit so I'm not as concerned about it as perhaps I should be.

Should be able to find some flat gasket material to da which in the bubble assembly hoop around the plexiglass. Otherwise I'm not opposed to trying silicone.

I think it would be hard to fabricate an irregularly shaped bubble with a vertical flange like you thought there would be, but from what I've read I have no concerns about the perimeter flange shape as long as the bubble is blown with a horizontal flange.

Yes, I expect it to be hot inside. The rear of the body will be somewhat unfinished. Mostly because I want the transmission exposed because I think it will look cool and I read somewhere that old hot rods were like that a lot, but also for ventilation. I also plan to have a large crotch cooler type vent up by the pedals. If that isn't enough I'll fab up some crotch cooler type stock vents to put in the fender wells. And maybe hood louvres.

It's going to be a painful ride probably, but if I was ok riding a bicycle across the U.S. the two times I've done that than I think I can tolerate my ~12 mile each way commute in this death trap. Besides, I'll look cooler.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

As far as gasket material, there are a lot of options out there. Since I was thinking you were using 1/8 plexi and had an 1/8" gap, you didnt have many options. Check with Restoration Specialties in Windber PA. They have an incredible amount of seals. Also, look into commercial glass solutions. You can also have a seal made to your specs.

I went through this exercise when I did the VW woodie. Got most of what I wanted from Restoration Specialties, but then needed a 1/2" rubber quarter round. Found a place on line - something like "Gaskets to go" I emailed them a sketch of the profile and they made it. Turns out they were in Taiwan or something - but still had it in a couple weeks and it wasnt that expensive.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Good tips on rubber sources. Will investigate when I get closer to needing to.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

so ive been working on a kitchen remodel and haven't had much time in the garage, but I do have a couple updates to share on the build.

managed to find some time to get out in the garage and play with the English wheel some more.

started with some easy stuff, these pieces will go between the stock cowl and the bubble frame. they need some more trimming and the edge near the bubble frame will have to get turned up a bit somehow since the outer edge of the bubble frame is about 3/4" higher than the cowl level. I suspect that I will end up trimming these and make the upturning, reverse curved pieces separately.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

then I had to make a driver's side reverse curve piece to match the first reverse curve that fits the passenger side. took two tries to get one I can live with.

and here is the orientation of all 4 pieces on the car, before trimming

then I tried making the next curve

looks pretty nice from this angle, but the shape is actually all wrong

as far as I know this means that I didn't do enough shrinking on the horizontal/top edge or I just spent too much time stretching it with the wheel and not enough on the outer edge.

I watched a youtube video a while back on English wheeling where they said the first thing you need to learn is where to make the parting lines between your panels. they said anywhere the panel "changes direction" you need one. I think that they might be referring to an area like this where the curve starts vertically at the outside and ends horizontally at the bubble. I can see how that would make the shrinking and stretching that has to be done much easier and would keep the thickness more consistent so I might try that next.

but it didn't seem right to scrap the piece I just made when it was so close, so I decided to cut it in half and use one piece on each side.

then I welded the drivers side half in and welded the reverse curve piece to that.

came out nicely I think, so going to do the passenger's side now.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Far out man... Laughing
I dig where this is going..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Love it. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

did some more shaping and welding. then had friends in town for a few days so didn't get any work done on the car.

did tear down a couple spare engines just to see if there was anything good. cases are nice. one needs align boring. one ended up being an 1835, but had a spun rod bearing, missing wrist pin clip, gouged cylinder, broken intake valve spring all on the same cylinder. kinda sucks.

also took some glamour shots to see if its realistic for me to even fit in the car.

I think its going to work. I need to make my own steering wheel though because more than 13" or so wont work. just another thing on the long list of stuff left to do.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Yeah - always a good idea to do a test fit. You can get buggy steering wheels around 13" and they even come in metalflake.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Suh- (the most amazing fabrication skills build) -weet!

Looking forward to more updates.
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I bet George Barris would give you a big thumbs up on this one if he were still around.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

well its cold here in Michigan but I'm still working on the car.

I've almost run out of wood scraps and pallets for the wood stove though which will become a problem in a few weeks I bet.

just been wheeling away on the top panels. new method of making separate panels at the parting line is working quite well I think.

heres a photo to illustrate what I mean by separate panels at the parting line. drivers side lower half formed and tacked in place

now a photo tutorial on steps involved to make the same piece on passenger side

and done

also formed the passenger side top half and got both halves on that side welded in and roughly finished out

shape is really starting to come together now.

also ordered some hardware off McMaster carr to deal with the bubble frame assembly as well as the side/top flange mating surface. hopefully the idea in my head for all that works out.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

got drivers side done about the same as passenger side.

started thinking more about rear body treatment and cut up a perfectly usable decklid.

not sure about using it though. think I may cut up the old front hood instead. have a feeling the curves will flow better and like the idea of recesses in the back to match those in the front as sharpie lines in the pic suggest. open to suggestions for what to do.

also got my hardware in

button head M8s for holding sides to top.
countersunk stainless M6 for bubble top frame.

might just focus on bubble frame hardware for the next however long that takes until I decide what to do about rear bodywork.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

took a break from wheeling to see if I could figure out the bubble frame assembly.

hoops were tack welded together, so I first drilled 25 guide holes with a center drill. next 6.1mm holes thru to the inside of the square tube. then cut tack welds to separate bottom flange from square tube. then 25 countersinks on the flange and 8.1mm hole thru square tube on other piece. then lots of grinding and welding of the nuts into the square tube. worked out fairly well. couple of them got real close to the inner wall of the square tube but it all went together with a bit more cutting and welding and grinding.

gaps and profile still look good on the body but if I don't clamp the front corners down they stand 1/2" proud of body. hoping that if I support frame somehow and jump on the peak and back end of the frame it will undo the heat warping from welding that has caused the increased gap. highly uncontrolled methods like that make me nervous though so I'm just going to think about it for a while first.

nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

good start on rear body treatment today.

might work on the body line here some

might run the decklid script

Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

This build is fascinating! Fun to watch the progress. The finished product will be something to see.

Dave

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I agree,, either .. nshaddox doesn't have a job.. or doesn't need much sleep.. Laughing

I fully understand determination.. but accompanied with lots of fab and metal forming.. seems to be coming to shape quickly.

Good job.. Applause
I hope to watch this one finished... as too many loose steam.. and ... never finish to driving status..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Yea you guessed it. Odd jobs here and there and some rent income but I took a sabbatical leave from my 9-5 to focus on this project and some others. Trying to get 6-7hrs in it every couple of days and fully expecting it to be mostly done by spring. Today is a drywalling day so there will be no updates. Same tomorrow. Taking the sabbatical has been great though. Very happy with the decision even though it means money is tight. Totally worth it.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

good shop day today. finished up the top skin in the rear with some reverse curved corners.

also filled in the gap up front between the bubble mating frame and cowl peak-with bubble frame looks like:

Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Shocked Cool
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

This is really, really cool. You make me feel guilty for not being in the garage doing even the most mundane projects on my VW's right now. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 23

Jump to: